Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85DL HV Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it doesn't make sense to me how would they refurbish a HV bat. to have the same degradation as the one it's replacing?
Since the warranty criteria is that the replacement pack has to have the same, or more, capacity they likely look at what your failed pack had and then select the closest refurbished pack available in their inventory to use as a replacement.

A significant portion of degradation is from age, not use, so all packs of the same age are likely to have similar degradation unless they have been abused.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Since the warranty criteria is that the replacement pack has to have the same, or more, capacity they likely look at what your failed pack had and then select the closest refurbished pack available in their inventory to use as a replacement.

A significant portion of degradation is from age, not use, so all packs of the same age are likely to have similar degradation unless they have been abused.
doesn't supercharging it 100% of the time compared to say 10% of the time make a big difference in degradation?

Tis is terrible. I've received no wait time estimate or anything. Battery died under warranty. They want me to rent a vehicle. "No loaners available." I've been out of a car for a month now. Beyond frustrating. Especially when I need it for work.
I’d call pretty much every day and demand they provide a loaner or rental on their dime for endlessly delayed warranty work.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tis is terrible. I've received no wait time estimate or anything. Battery died under warranty. They want me to rent a vehicle. "No loaners available." I've been out of a car for a month now. Beyond frustrating. Especially when I need it for work.
Similar situation. Warranty HV battery replacement still waiting a little over a month in. Projected finish is about another month. No loaners available :(

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Much the same experience here. On 29 October 2021 my 2015 S85D was towed to the Palo Alto, CA service center with a failed HV battery. The battery is covered under the 8 year warranty. So far there is no word on when a replacement battery might be available. The service experience, while civil, has been unsettlingly free of much information or apparent enthusiasm for solving my problem.

I foolishly declined a loaner at the outset and now find myself on some sort of waiting list. My patience is wearing thin and I'm considering next steps. The California Lemon Law can apply to vehicles unable to be repaired after 30 days but, generally, ones less than 18 months old. This car is 6 years old so likely an uphill battle.

--Frank.

I finally got my car back at just over 2 months sitting in the shop. After breaking down at a supercharger during a roadtrip. It’s been gone so long its like getting a new car again as it was in the shop longer than i actually owned the vehicle. They seem like a good group of people just understaffed. i didnt get any update in the app beyond hey your battery is on the way and suddenly i got a call saying it was repaired It sounds like they have a tough situation waiting on the 100kwh batteries the tech says they can get some batteries in 2 days So all depends on the model and size.

Follow-up, credit where credit is due: I got my car back after a little more than 4 months. It has a new, so far as I can tell, 90 kWh battery. Tesla also upgraded the VCM to 8 GB, the cellular radio to LTE, and performed an airbag recall. I paid nothing.

While communication with the service organization could have been a little more forthcoming, in the end the experience was great. Tesla is clearly trying to keep me happy and they have succeeded.

--Frank

I want to add my experience to this thread. I just retrieved my 2015 P85DL (see signature) with what I believe is a new 90 kWh pack replaced under warranty. I was about 1 yr 3 mos away from end of warranty. Process end-to-end took 7 weeks +/- The attached photos show what I had vs. what I got. This was done at Sarasota Service Center. I would give them high marks.

Attachments

• OldBattery.jpeg
    OldBattery.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 150
  • newbattery.jpeg
    newbattery.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 114
I want to add my experience to this thread. I just retrieved my 2015 P85DL (see signature) with what I believe is a new 90 kWh pack replaced under warranty. I was about 1 yr 3 mos away from end of warranty. Process end-to-end took 7 weeks +/- The attached photos show what I had vs. what I got. This was done at Sarasota Service Center. I would give them high marks.
What is the range and charge curve you're getting? I've also had my 85 refurbished to a 90 and have improved range and charge speeds! Especially the Charge Curve is very satisfying!

What is the range and charge curve you're getting? I've also had my 85 refurbished to a 90 and have improved range and charge speeds! Especially the Charge Curve is very satisfying!
I just retrieved the vehicle last night, so I haven't made a detailed measurement, but yes, after charging last night, it does appear to have improved in both respects as you suggest.

Reactions: Rqcg
Thanks for sharing the pics and your experience! With your new 90 kWH 350V battery pack (1014116-00-C), do you still have Ludicrous mode available? Your signature seems to say P85D instead of P85DL, so I'm not sure if you changed it. Does it still accelerate as quickly as it did with the old 85 kWh 400V battery pack (1074980-00-E)? Thanks!

Reactions: BrokerDon
Thanks for sharing the pics and your experience! With your new 90 kWH 350V battery pack (1014116-00-C), do you still have Ludicrous mode available? Your signature seems to say P85D instead of P85DL, so I'm not sure if you changed it. Does it still accelerate as quickly as it did with the old 85 kWh 400V battery pack (1074980-00-E)? Thanks!
Also curious about this as I'm getting an 85 rev D pack--I hope it'll be a 90kwh