Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85DL HV Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I’m having a 2014 p85DL HV Battery that is being replace by Tesla under warranty. I’ve been told there’s a battery shortage in North America and the wait is 2 months.

Just wondering if anyone else is hearing and/or experiencing the same thing.

As way of background, car starting giving warning “Vehicle may not restart” while I was driving. Next thing, the car started shutting down and had to glide into a parking lot. It eventually start driving again, but it was in reduced power mode. See warning in attached for those interested.

Got it towed and it was informed that the HV battery needs to be replaced.

Love to hearing from anyone on their wait time due to “battery shortages”.

Ken

Attachments

• 688A7CF7-E958-4CA3-971C-A6C61BF05E59.jpeg
    688A7CF7-E958-4CA3-971C-A6C61BF05E59.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 82E7567A-7378-4931-9329-202B5BE05C9D.jpeg
    82E7567A-7378-4931-9329-202B5BE05C9D.jpeg
    582.2 KB · Views: 284
Love to hearing from anyone on their wait time due to “battery shortages”.

Ken
Much the same experience here. On 29 October 2021 my 2015 S85D was towed to the Palo Alto, CA service center with a failed HV battery. The battery is covered under the 8 year warranty. So far there is no word on when a replacement battery might be available. The service experience, while civil, has been unsettlingly free of much information or apparent enthusiasm for solving my problem.

I foolishly declined a loaner at the outset and now find myself on some sort of waiting list. My patience is wearing thin and I'm considering next steps. The California Lemon Law can apply to vehicles unable to be repaired after 30 days but, generally, ones less than 18 months old. This car is 6 years old so likely an uphill battle.

--Frank

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Much the same experience here. On 29 October 2021 my 2015 S85D was towed to the Palo Alto, CA service center with a failed HV battery. The battery is covered under the 8 year warranty. So far there is no word on when a replacement battery might be available. The service experience, while civil, has been unsettlingly free of much information or apparent enthusiasm for solving my problem.

I foolishly declined a loaner at the outset and now find myself on some sort of waiting list. My patience is wearing thin and I'm considering next steps. The California Lemon Law can apply to vehicles unable to be repaired after 30 days but, generally, ones less than 18 months old. This car is 6 years old so likely an uphill battle.

--Frank
Sorry to hear Frank,

I just got my car back with a reman 85 pack 2 days before Christmas. Good luck!

--Frank
Rules for Tesla Service:
Never decline a loaner when offered.

Sorry to hear Frank,

I just got my car back with a reman 85 pack 2 days before Christmas. Good luck!

What type of pack did they give you? Are they actually rebuilding 85 L packs or did they give you a software limited pack? Are you still pulling 1500 amps from the new pack in Ludicrous mode? What's your supercharging taper curve look like with a warm pack? What is the rated range of the new pack? What's the part number on the pack itself?

Reactions: Battpower
What type of pack did they give you? Are they actually rebuilding 85 L packs or did they give you a software limited pack? Are you still pulling 1500 amps from the new pack in Ludicrous mode? What's your supercharging taper curve look like with a warm pack? What is the rated range of the new pack? What's the part number on the pack itself?
According to the invoice and the label:

ASY,HV BATT,P85D,REMAN,MDLS(1069777-01-A)
As for supercharging, have not done any yet, so no idea of the speed. But the range is the same as before service with rated at 392km

How do one measure the pack max draw? That measurement eludes me…

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sorka
According to the invoice and the label:

ASY,HV BATT,P85D,REMAN,MDLS(1069777-01-A)
As for supercharging, have not done any yet, so no idea of the speed. But the range is the same as before service with rated at 392km

How do one measure the pack max draw? That measurement eludes me…

You need to attach a bluetooth OBDII canbus scanner to your DLC connector with a custom adapter cable. Too much detail to go into in this thread. Search or maybe someone has the links handy on how to make the cable.

Then you need to run a program like scan my tesla or TM-Spy.