Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D's getting more tickets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife was stopped by an off-duty CHP officer asking her if the parked red P85D was hers (it was). Then proceeded to tell her that was the #1 car that CHPs are watching for. Anyone else getting that information? Or have been on the receiving end of speeding ticket and received that comment?

My wife was stopped by an off-duty CHP officer asking her if the parked red P85D was hers (it was). Then proceeded to tell her that was the #1 car that CHPs are watching for. Anyone else getting that information? Or have been on the receiving end of speeding ticket and received that comment?

I am a little confused with your statement. You start out saying she "was stopped," then you go on to say that her car was parked, and the officer imparted some advice. Was this just coincidence, as they were both walking the same direction, and he spotted your P85D? I trust she was not detained, and this was just a "friendly" heads' up?

I guess when someone says they were stopped by law enforcement, that this was involuntary! :redface:

He was sitting at a table in the bakery/bistro, enjoying his turkey sandwich/chips/drink, probably noticed what car she parked before she went in to get some cookies and stopped her on the way out. My wife thought, at first, that he was just an admirer of the Model S and wanted to talk about it (something that we Tesla owners are used to have happening). But then he showed her his badge attached to his belt, mentioned that he was off-duty and then proceeded to "let her off with a warning". Sigh. That statement from him prompted this post. But, yes, it was a friendly heads' up.

He was sitting at a table in the bakery/bistro, enjoying his turkey sandwich/chips/drink, probably noticed what car she parked before she went in to get some cookies and stopped her on the way out. My wife thought, at first, that he was just an admirer of the Model S and wanted to talk about it (something that we Tesla owners are used to have happening). But then he showed her his badge attached to his belt, mentioned that he was off-duty and then proceeded to "let her off with a warning". Sigh. That statement from him prompted this post. But, yes, it was a friendly heads' up.

Um hum the way I read such encounter it might be he was admirer of the driver rather than the car

Nothing wrong with that either

But then he showed her his badge attached to his belt, mentioned that he was off-duty and then proceeded to "let her off with a warning".
1. A "warning" related to what? What infraction was in play?
2. He was off-duty so he shouldn't be stopping anyone while showing a badge.

- - - Updated - - -

Um hum the way I read such encounter it might be he was admirer of the driver rather than the car
Nothing wrong with that either
At least two things wrong with that.

Odd statement both in content and who it was spoken to.

If I was 20 driving some fast car I could understand this being said to me. I'd chuckle a bit because I know it's more of a warning to me (as a young male) and it's kind of BS. Cops aren't going to be on the look out for a specific type of car unless they're trying to find a stolen one or something like that. They're on the look out for behaviors.

Now by saying that he could be saying that they're cracking down on the "insane mode" showboating that's been going around. We absolutely know that it's become the new "in thing to do". They're are probably hundreds of youtube videos if not more of passenger reactions to the acceleration of the P85D.

considing i see myself as a tesla fanatic and have a hard time telling a p85d from any other tesla unless i am directly behind it im gona say this guy was just being [sorry] a prick.

chp targeting P85Ds is going to pretty hard to do unless the officer is right behind you, and... if hes right behind you i would think your going to be an angel driving any car.