TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P85D's getting more tickets?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by silver surfer, May 28, 2015.

1. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

My wife was stopped by an off-duty CHP officer asking her if the parked red P85D was hers (it was). Then proceeded to tell her that was the #1 car that CHPs are watching for. Anyone else getting that information? Or have been on the receiving end of speeding ticket and received that comment?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Maybe one reason to have the car debadged at delivery if true. Have a hard time believing it's true though. Very hard to spot at speed with badge on rear.

3. CatB

CatB Member

I hate profiling... :(

4. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Debadged as in removing all decals or trim with the Tesla name?

5. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

That's the upside to living in Virginia. I never even get a second glance in the Tesla from the police. My previous cars have all been huge attention magnets.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

My car was so early they didn't have the 'P85' on the back. Everything else was there. They can remove the P85D.

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

It's general old folk wisdom that red cars will stand out more and thus, attract the attention of police officers more. This is regardless of the make of the car, but more especially true of "performance" cars.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I suspect the officer meant they were looking for Model S's, not P85Ds specifically.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, they're probably looking for Model S's because of this guy. :)

10. cpa

cpa Member

I am a little confused with your statement. You start out saying she "was stopped," then you go on to say that her car was parked, and the officer imparted some advice. Was this just coincidence, as they were both walking the same direction, and he spotted your P85D? I trust she was not detained, and this was just a "friendly" heads' up?

I guess when someone says they were stopped by law enforcement, that this was involuntary! :redface:

11. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

He was sitting at a table in the bakery/bistro, enjoying his turkey sandwich/chips/drink, probably noticed what car she parked before she went in to get some cookies and stopped her on the way out. My wife thought, at first, that he was just an admirer of the Model S and wanted to talk about it (something that we Tesla owners are used to have happening). But then he showed her his badge attached to his belt, mentioned that he was off-duty and then proceeded to "let her off with a warning". Sigh. That statement from him prompted this post. But, yes, it was a friendly heads' up.

12. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

Um hum the way I read such encounter it might be he was admirer of the driver rather than the car

Nothing wrong with that either

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

1. A "warning" related to what? What infraction was in play?
    2. He was off-duty so he shouldn't be stopping anyone while showing a badge.

- - - Updated - - -

At least two things wrong with that.

14. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Odd statement both in content and who it was spoken to.

If I was 20 driving some fast car I could understand this being said to me. I'd chuckle a bit because I know it's more of a warning to me (as a young male) and it's kind of BS. Cops aren't going to be on the look out for a specific type of car unless they're trying to find a stolen one or something like that. They're on the look out for behaviors.

Now by saying that he could be saying that they're cracking down on the "insane mode" showboating that's been going around. We absolutely know that it's become the new "in thing to do". They're are probably hundreds of youtube videos if not more of passenger reactions to the acceleration of the P85D.

15. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Nothing illegal, granted, but typical male behavior. I now think he was asking her to be cautious while, at the same time, working a little machismo. Men.........we are a shallow bunch!

16. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

considing i see myself as a tesla fanatic and have a hard time telling a p85d from any other tesla unless i am directly behind it im gona say this guy was just being [sorry] a prick.

chp targeting P85Ds is going to pretty hard to do unless the officer is right behind you, and... if hes right behind you i would think your going to be an angel driving any car.

17. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

But... What if.... Hypothetically... Let's say he was right next to you?

18. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

well then obviously he wants to race...

19. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

don't understand how debadging would have any effect, I'm quite sure the CHP can identify a Tesla with or without badging.

20. sorka

sorka Active Member

i just showed this thread to my neighbor cop and he said this supposed of duty officer would have been suspended and that it was unlikely a real CHP.