Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D's getting more tickets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see the big deal. Sounds more like a case of the telephone game.
Every person "recalls" the message with just a few minor differences or adds just a little "between the lines" understanding.
From cop to wife, to husband, to forum, to reply, to reply of reply.

The cop didn't detain the wife, they were making small talk.
He didn't "let her off with a warning" in meaning she committed an offense, he mention P85D are the car the currently are most on the lookout for. A friendly reminder.
Odds are good he simply meant P85Ds are the most commonly stopped cars, which would not surprise me one bit.

In California there are what, 10-20 thousand Model S? Figure 4,000 are P85D. I'm guessing that is more than all the other cars in the state capable of 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.

Every person "recalls" the message with just a few minor differences or adds just a little "between the lines" understanding.

He didn't "let her off with a warning" in meaning she committed an offense, he mention P85D are the car the currently are most on the lookout for. A friendly reminder.
Odds are good he simply meant P85Ds are the most commonly stopped cars, which would not surprise me one bit.

This certainly is plausible.

On the other hand, we moved into our home back in '92. Our neighbor directly across the street was the commander (or whatever the position was called) of the entire CHP district that spanned from The Grapevine to Stockton. He had a lot of stars on his uniform collar. He did not socialize with us neighbors--not even just having a glass of lemonade (offered multiple times by my wife) on a hot summer afternoon. His greeting to us after we moved in was, "Don't ever ask me anything about the CHP." He thawed a little after 4-5 years, (he actually started waving to us!) but still phrased requests as orders: "I'd like you to pick up our newspaper each morning until Sunday, as I am working out of town." These are CIVILIAN encounters, not official law enforcement duties. He never once said "please" or "thank you." His tone was more authoritarian than neighborly.

I believe that the structure and discipline of law enforcement agencies erode the civilian and social behavior aspect of everyday life. Peace officers forget how to conduct themselves in civilian settings because so much of their lives revolve around giving and taking orders as a part of their jobs. When ordinary, responsible, normal citizens receive impromptu, gratuitous advice from someone who has the power of a peace officer, we are sometimes left wondering why did he tell me this? Did I do something wrong?

So, yes, maybe the telephone game is in action with this thread. Or, perhaps, the officer just does not know how to communicate appropriately to ordinary civilians in everyday situations like this.

In California there are what, 10-20 thousand Model S? Figure 4,000 are P85D. I'm guessing that is more than all the other cars in the state capable of 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.

Its been a while since I followed my own thread so I was surprised at the continued interest. Zythryn, I think you understood my message best and I apologize to those who may have been mislead by my use of certain phrases in an attempt to add humor or intrigue to a post.
I was disappointed to find out that there are some 4,000 P85Ds running around California. I was enjoying feeling somewhat special but I know, in reality, that I am just driving an automobile that can crush anything on the road 0-30 mph:biggrin:. Do you really think that of the 15,000+ cars that they made since October, 4,000 were the top-of-the-line P85Ds?

How many foks, if anyone, has been ticketed for accelerating too quickly from a stop? This will be interesting to watch as it isn't clear that there is anything wrong with going fom 0 - speed limit as fast as you want as long as you aren't reckless. A model S, especially a P85D, can do this extremely quickly and faster than pretty much any ICE. But that doesn't make it illegal or reckless.

How many foks, if anyone, has been ticketed for accelerating too quickly from a stop? This will be interesting to watch as it isn't clear that there is anything wrong with going fom 0 - speed limit as fast as you want as long as you aren't reckless. A model S, especially a P85D, can do this extremely quickly and faster than pretty much any ICE. But that doesn't make it illegal or reckless.

At least one person has been stopped for going 0-45 (speed limit) next to a cop. There was a thread somewhere and an ongoing debate if the stop was legal or not.

Running a red light in CA is now $499. The actual violation is only $85. Here is where the rest of your fine goes!!

File0839.jpg

Attachments

• File0839.PDF
    1,011 KB · Views: 64

I have always been driving under the impression that 0-legal limit as fast as possible was in fact illegal, or at the very least reckless driving.

I have always been driving under the impression that 0-legal limit as fast as possible was in fact illegal, or at the very least reckless driving.

The was the debate in that other thread. If you smoke your tires and rev your gas engine loudly then maybe. If you are under control in an EV then what is considered too quick?

In the past, most/all cars capable of that type of acceleration were difficult to handle under that type of acceleration.
So, if this happens anywhere but an on ramp to a freeway, it used to be a safe bet that car should be, at the very least, watched.

In addition, that type of acceleration in a residential area, or busy city streets could be hazardous in and of itself.

That said, I've never been pulled over for flooring it, although I also only do so where appropriate.

Running a red light in CA is now $499. The actual violation is only $85. Here is where the rest of your fine goes!!
Officer: Do you know what speed you were going?
Driver: Yes. I'm just doing my part to fund the state. I figure my taxes aren't high enough so I try to give a little bit back by driving fast.

Tbut still phrased requests as orders: "I'd like you to pick up our newspaper each morning until Sunday, as I am working out of town." These are CIVILIAN encounters, not official law enforcement duties. He never once said "please" or "thank you." His tone was more authoritarian than neighborly.

Wow, that's simply rude. Just because he's a police officer doesn't mean he can boss his neighbors around. My response would probably be, "Say please."

In the past, most/all cars capable of that type of acceleration were difficult to handle under that type of acceleration.
So, if this happens anywhere but an on ramp to a freeway, it used to be a safe bet that car should be, at the very least, watched.

In addition, that type of acceleration in a residential area, or busy city streets could be hazardous in and of itself.

That said, I've never been pulled over for flooring it, although I also only do so where appropriate.

when i went on the p85d test drive around i was driving super cautiously. big heavy expensive p85d is very different than my tiny fiat 500e. when the ownership advisor told me its time to try acceleration i was super paranoid watching out for any car that might appear within 500 ft. right when i was about to hit it in insane mode a MB... something that does not mater started to pull out of a driveway. like... a few hundred feet away. i told him... i think im gona wait.

with great power...

The was the debate in that other thread. If you smoke your tires and rev your gas engine loudly then maybe. If you are under control in an EV then what is considered too quick?
You don't have to smoke your tires to lose control under full acceleration. From the other thread I posted a Z06 that lost control under full acceleration without smoking tires (there was a little chirping at the start, but he was already far done the road when he lost control), and another posted an M4 that lost control (also without smoking tires). So it seems to be not uncommon for high power RWD cars to suddenly snap to either side under hard acceleration (not sure reasons, suspension loading perhaps).