Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D: Tracking Range over Time, Odometer, Software Updates, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
P85D: Tracking Range over Time, Odometer, Software Updates, etc.

I'm starting a thread to track the evolution of Rated Miles range at different charge levels (90%, 100%, etc.) relative to time, odometer reading, software updates, and other parameters that may affect battery degradation and rated range.

If you have any such data you'd like to share, please add it to following the Google doc:

Telsa Model S P85D Range - Google Sheets

I've already added my data for the last ~3600 miles and 7 weeks of ownership.
A few main take-away points I can make are:

• Software update 6.0 (2.0.81) bumped the rated miles @ 100% from 242 to 252, not sure if models with 21" wheels also got this bump
  • Software update 6.1 (2.2.113) bumped the rated range up by 1 mile, probably to match the now advertised 253 miles @ 100%
  • No apparent degradation so far, knock on wood!

Let's see how future software updates and battery degradation will affect range.
I hope this will be useful for the thousands of miles and years to come!

-Marc

PS: I've added a second tab for metric inputs to help our non-imperial friends out :)

Last edited:
I have a P85D which I picked up at the Fremont factory on 12/31/2014.

Today is July 20, 2019 and my current mileage is 73,710. I just charged to 100% = 243 miles.
As a comparison, the first time I charged to 100% was January 2015 and I got 242 miles. (242 was also the same miles that MarcG got when he first charged to 100%, see spreadsheet).

The Tesla battery is impressive.

Must've fat-fingered the num pad... Mods can you please fix the model number in the title? P88D --> P85D. Thanks.

Moderator note: Kinda late, but done (I was neither a Tesla owner nor TMC member when you started the thread!). For future reference, it might be more effective to report a post in this thread and say what you want done in the report.

Bruce.