Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D arriving in state on Friday, offered delivery Sat/Mon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I even be willing to consider this, given what i've seen about people having their vehicles get more QA from their local SC once they arrive?

Or is this a typical, normal Arizona (non-sales state) thing? This is my first experience with Tesla and i haven't been too impressed with much, other than they now process registration for me.

I'm planning on trying to get the car wrapped and protected before I drive it out of AZ, but should I even plan on trying to schedule that for next week, given all the quality issues this batch seems to be going through? Alternatively, should I just go ahead and get it protected, then take the car back to the SC for fixes?

Ugh.

Please keep us posted, hopefully you will receive a flawless X. Also, let us know if you get a sunshade and if the tint of the panoramic windshield is adequate.

I would wait if possible to the wrap, because I recall that leaving the door open for 30 minutes or longer messes up the calibration. Also, tinting may pose a problem as tinters jam the latch to fully open the window as it is frameless.

Should I even be willing to consider this, given what i've seen about people having their vehicles get more QA from their local SC once they arrive?

Or is this a typical, normal Arizona (non-sales state) thing? This is my first experience with Tesla and i haven't been too impressed with much, other than they now process registration for me.

I'm planning on trying to get the car wrapped and protected before I drive it out of AZ, but should I even plan on trying to schedule that for next week, given all the quality issues this batch seems to be going through? Alternatively, should I just go ahead and get it protected, then take the car back to the SC for fixes?

Ugh.
I'm taking deliver of my Model X on Thursday, 24-Mar-2016 11:30am at the Scottsdale Service Center. Car is supposed the arrive Wedesday night or Thursday morning. DS says it won't be a problem getting the car ready and they have been able to turn the cars around quickly, now that the production line is running at higher capacity generating high quality products. I'm taking my car immediately across the street to Cactus Auto Tint for wrap and window tinting. They have done a few Model Xs already and haven't had any issues with them.

Araxara thanks for the vote of confidence in the Scottsdale Service Center & recommendation on Cactus Auto ...I have less confidence in my DS given how he answers some of my questions, but communications doesn't seem to be his strong suit. I guess I'll go with the Saturday option and see what unfolds :)

Maybe you have a different DS. My DS's name is Lauren and she works at the Scottsdale Service Center. She has actually been hounding me with the car delivery and always picks up the phone when I call. As far as confidence in the delivery process is concerned, I'm not holding my breath. It seems overly optimistic to expect the car to be made ready so soon after physical delivery.

Over 3 years ago I had my Model S delivered. At the time, they just had it delivered to my house due to their end of quarter rush. The truck driver told me that Tesla actually drove the car in the rain to take to the truck driver. It was in an enclosed carrier, but the paint had scratches on it and one of the wheels was damaged and the tire had metal embedded in it and leaking. A DS showed up at my house a week later. He was actually quite mad, because they were supposed to take a look at the car before it was directly delivered to me. They took the car back, gave me a loaner and fixed the problems. My point is that that was over three years ago and in retrospect does not seem that bad. Maybe it won't be worst this time around.

It all depends on your VIN number. If greater than 750 you have good shot it will not have any major problems but may have minor problems like molding not completely snapped into place or misaligned panels which can easily be fixed by the SC.

On the other hand if your VIN is less than 750 there is an increased chance of more serious problems like the dubious door locking mechanism problems. The problem is you can't see there is a but the problem but can happen anytime as there is a know mechanism problem.

After you get it look at the date manufactured. It is a MM/YYYY representing date manufactured. 01/16 would mean early January as they stopped production third week of January to fix manufacturing problems. 02/16 would mean end of February as they didn't produce cars at the first part of the month. 03/16 this is when they were in full production mode.

It all depends on your VIN number. If greater than 750 you have good shot it will not have any major problems but may have minor problems like molding not completely snapped into place or misaligned panels which can easily be fixed by the SC.

On the other hand if your VIN is less than 750 there is an increased chance of more serious problems like the dubious door locking mechanism problems. The problem is you can't see there is a but the problem but can happen anytime as there is a know mechanism problem.

After you get it look at the date manufactured. It is a MM/YYYY representing date manufactured. 01/16 would mean early January as they stopped production third week of January to fix manufacturing problems. 02/16 would mean end of February as they didn't produce cars at the first part of the month. 03/16 this is when they were in full production mode.

I doubt the major problems happen before Vin 750, i would say it's before 1500. My X is over 1000, at 104x and it has nothing but problems. I think before Vin750 is the FWD problems, after 750 - maybe around 1500 is the front driver and passenger issues. Again this is just estimate, a very good guess base on the ramp up time and problems we have seen so far.

Last edited:
Ok....

No sunshade. Vin is over 3500.

I'm kicking myself for not having found someone to help me look over the car with a fine toothed comb...I have no clue what issues I'm looking for. I've seen the checklist, but I'm not OCD enough to look for those items w/o prompting. I took it home to thoroughly check it out and will follow up with the SC when I have my list.

So far, the only major issues I've spotted are a minor (major to me) misalignment on the right rear quarter...it gaps significantly from brake light to hinge but still seals at the trunk, and loud (to me...a current ice driver) road noise when driving.

2 other X deliveries happened at my appointment, and they had a full truckload to send off to new homes this week.

I got my Model X delivery last Thursday. There were several panel gap issues, including falcon wing misalignment and bowed (inward) glass on top between windshield and falcon wing doors. I was also instructed to note any addition items that they will correct.

Hey Darryl, how's that color combo? I ordered almost the same MX as you, delivery in April/May