Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read a few threads explaining the situation with the 90 packs. I also read somewhere where certain vin ranges should have a certain battery pack revision code (A, B, C etc...) and certain revisions don't have major degradation and charging issues.

Recently i have noticed my charge rate starts @58kW with SOC being 16 rated miles and did not see max (@ a low 94kW) till SOC being at 92 miles.

The temp was around 15F. I had driven 104 miles continuously before i plugged in, so the battery should accept max charge rate @ start.

I also find it odd that my battery pack is revision A when i remember seeing a post on here mentioning vins higher than 110xxx should be on C.

I would appreciate some clarification on this, if at all possible

photo of battery pack label.. cleared the snow for some clarity :)
20180105_101602.jpg

The A pack issue is only applicable to the first couple thousand cars off the line. It does not apply to a P90 series, only the original P85.

As far as your charging speeds, that seems about right in that tempearture. 94kW may be the most you will see, depends on the SC you're at. How many times have you used a SC and CHADeMo?

Reactions: neroden
The A pack issue is only applicable to the first couple thousand cars off the line. It does not apply to a P90 series, only the original P85.

As far as your charging speeds, that seems about right in that tempearture. 94kW may be the most you will see, depends on the SC you're at. How many times have you used a SC and CHADeMo?

I've used SC's many times over the last 2 years, because I run a business in the area. A friend's 85d (I'm assuming it's not the high silicon content pack like mine) in the same temp gets to 115 kW instantly. I've also never had this issue (?) with my former 2013 p85+. I think 94 kW would be very acceptable if it started at that point, but it needed around 8 minutes to ramp up even though i drove 104 miles continuously before hand.

I have seen a thread where 3 different versions of the 90 pack was mentioned, i cant remember where i saw it and have done many searches for it.

I've never used a CHADeMo

Yes, there are 3 versions of the 90 pack (V1, V2, and V3. V3 is the only pack that will get your 2.8s 0-60 time. V1 and V2 can't supply enough current) ... otherwise, the packs are the same as far as I know. There's some speculation that the V3 packs will "wear out" faster than V1 or V2 packs, probably due to higher current draw available.

As far as your charging speed goes, you are probably now permanently throttled on your 90 pack due to excessive fast charging. If you want more info on that, you can wade through this thread: If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

TL;DL version is: If you have used SCs (or CHADeMo) somewhat often, your BMS will start throttling your max charge rate in your 90 pack. 94kW is exactly in the target for a throttled pack.

As for your ramp up/ramp down taper, that has a lot of variables associated with it, but from the basics that you know and have communicated, it seems somewhat normal.

"A" "B" and "C" are meaningless when discussing the P90D battery. The correct terms are "V1" "V2" "V3."

Your car has a V1 battery. It is limited to 1500amps, whereas V2 and V3 are 1600amps. The maximum recorded output of the V1 battery is approximately 450, whereas V2 is roughly 495 and V3 is approximately 525+. As I have read, this equates to a performance difference of roughly 75hp.

Further, there is evidence that the V1 battery suffers from excessive range degradation that doesn't occur in V2 or V3.

Personally, I believe that the V1 battery holders were done wrong by Tesla. They secretly switched to the V2 battery (with its increased performance and range) without notifying the V1 customers that they were driving a car that is inferior to other p90D's on the road and are, in fact, being penalized for being early adopters.

The P90D V1 was never capable of reaching the advertised specs of 2.9 seconds 0-60 and 10.9 quarter mile, so they changed the battery in silence.

Last edited:
"A" "B" and "C" are meaningless when discussing the P90D battery. The correct terms are "V1" "V2" "V3."

Your car has a V1 battery. It is limited to 1500amps, whereas V2 and V3 are 1600amps. The maximum recorded output of the V1 battery is approximately 450, whereas V2 is roughly 495 and V3 is approximately 525+. As I have read, this equates to a performance difference of roughly 75hp.

Further, there is evidence that the V1 battery suffers from excessive range degradation that doesn't occur in V2 or V3.

Personally, I believe that the V1 battery holders were done wrong by Tesla. They secretly switched to the V2 battery (with its increased performance and range) without notifying the V1 customers that they were driving a car that is inferior to other p90D's on the road and are, in fact, being penalized for being early adopters.

The P90D V1 was never capable of reaching the advertised specs of 2.9 seconds 0-60 and 10.9 quarter mile, so they changed the battery in silence.
I should have V3 as per thread i read a while back, because of my high Vin #.

I should have V3 as per thread i read a while back, because of my high Vin #.
I have read a few threads explaining the situation with the 90 packs. I also read somewhere where certain vin ranges should have a certain battery pack revision code (A, B, C etc...) and certain revisions don't have major degradation and charging issues.

Recently i have noticed my charge rate starts @58kW with SOC being 16 rated miles and did not see max (@ a low 94kW) till SOC being at 92 miles.

The temp was around 15F. I had driven 104 miles continuously before i plugged in, so the battery should accept max charge rate @ start.

I also find it odd that my battery pack is revision A when i remember seeing a post on here mentioning vins higher than 110xxx should be on C.

I would appreciate some clarification on this, if at all possible

photo of battery pack label.. cleared the snow for some clarity :)
20180105_101602.jpg
Your photo links to a microsoft something something that you have to sign up for....just cut and paste the picture in the thread.

So my new 90 pack in my formerly P85D can pull 475kw... so does that put my "new" 90 battery at a V1.1? :). Also I noted that max battery now makes a difference whereas with the 85 pack I don't recall noting any power difference.

how do you tell if you have a V1, V2 or V3 pack?

Mike

Attachments

• 90 pack.JPG
    90 pack.JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 954
I backed out of not one but two P90DL's because of V1 batteries...by any chance did you get a black one with a tan interior? That was the second one that was offered to me, just recently, with the same build date.

If you want out, I'm happy to supply you with the evidence I put together for my sales advisor. If the car you ordered is a factory ludicrous, then Tesla's own parts list proves that the V1 battery should never have been put the car in the first place. In law, we call it "nonconforming goods."

Imagine if you went to Mercedes to purchase an S550 and when you got home you found a 400 engine inside....same thing. Breach of contract 101.