Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No this car was not from the Tesla used car network. This was from a 3rd party dealer in Texas.

So what does this mean exactly, Does it end up essentially being the same power as the P85D Except with degradation issues ?

Seems like quite a few people had issues and some were able to get upgraded to the V3 batteries.

No this car was not from the Tesla used car network. This was from a 3rd party dealer in Texas.

So what does this mean exactly, Does it end up essentially being the same power as the P85D Except with degradation issues ?

Seems like quite a few people had issues and some were able to get upgraded to the V3 batteries.

The evidence I have seen suggests the following:

The V1 P90D essentially performs the same as a P85D.

Some batteries suffer from range issues.

I have seen evidence of V1 batteries being upgraded. However, because I learned of this information while I was waiting for my V1 CPO to arrive, I could only request that Tesla change the battery or I would refuse delivery. One should not try to "buy" oneself into a lawsuit.

I did put them on notice, however, that if they did refuse to place the correct battery in the factory Tesla I ordered, or find me a substitute vehicle within a reasonable amount of time with a V2, that they would be in breach of contract and that I would purchase the next closest vehicle with a V2 and bring action for reimbursement of the excess cost ("cover" damages, in law).

Please note that that this data has been collected from this website and tesla.com/forums. I have not independently verified the information myself.

that's identified as a non-factory ludicrous battery in the same series as the V1. It is listed as an option for ludicrous upgrades (non-factory ludicrous).

Here's a quote from one owner:

"scott | July 29, 2016
I have a 1056776-00-e battery in my face lift P90D, upgraded at the dealer to ludicrous just before delivery, I get a max of 463KW 95-100 soc max battery ready. Not happy as I was made to believe it would be exactly the same as a factory build P90DL I.e 500+ KW. Dealer wasn't any help with my disappointment. This new disclaimer wasn't on the Tesla website when i decided to go with the upgrade. Not much I can do apart from order a new car."

Retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D | Tesla

Oh, ya.....almost forgot.....:p

It doesn't relate to it. The batteries are physically incapable of providing what's necessary for the advertised specs. The only battery that is physically capable is the V3 packs. If you have a V1 or V2 pack, you are just plain out of luck.

Any thoughts on what would be considered an abnormal amount of degrade? I have a 2016 P90D (not Ludicrous) that I ordered in late Feb 2016 and was delivered March 25th 2016. It looks like I got the V1 battery after looking at the battery sticker.

The car is plenty fast --even in Insane mode -- but a few questions as I catch up to these threads -- (I took a break at looking at the Telsa forums for about a 18 months but now catching up a bit so just noticing these threads about the P90D battery etc.)
  • If I don't ever plan to do the Ludicrous upgrade -- does having the V1 battery as big of a deal? (or will they swap the battery) -- When I placed the order for the vehicle -- Tesla told me I could add Ludicrous anytime after (but perhaps that is no longer the case)
  • Are there other things I should be looking for -- with the battery that might signal something faulty?
  • What are standard levels of battery degradation after 2 years?
  • For those who got the battery replaced under warranty -- what were some of the reason why the battery replacement was approved - i.e. what issues were you experiencing etc.
Am bummed that they included the center console about a week after I ordered and did the front fascia facelift a few months after I ordered and now this about the battery. Not to mention that I paid for air suspension, there were no showroom discounts when I ordered etc,

Conversely -- Autopilot 1 for the past 2 years has been great etc.

Cross posted in another thread -- but it might be more relevant in this one.... Mods -- feel free to remove the other one...

The 1063792 battery is the CORRECT battery (according to Tesla's parts list) for a NON Ludicrous P90D.

You have to post your battery stats before anyone can chime in on whether or not you have abnormal degradation.

To answer your bullet points

1. Your V1 battery may or may not experience degradation....if you upgrade to Ludicrous, you will not see the same performance as a factory ludicrous (except for those who, in my opinion, got defrauded by receiving a factory ludicrous with a V1 battery).

2. Range degradation

3. Who knows

4. Range degradation.

Any thoughts on what would be considered an abnormal amount of degrade? I have a 2016 P90D (not Ludicrous) that I ordered in late Feb 2016 and was delivered March 25th 2016. It looks like I got the V1 battery after looking at the battery sticker.

The car is plenty fast --even in Insane mode -- but a few questions as I catch up to these threads -- (I took a break at looking at the Telsa forums for about a 18 months but now catching up a bit so just noticing these threads about the P90D battery etc.)
  • If I don't ever plan to do the Ludicrous upgrade -- does having the V1 battery as big of a deal? (or will they swap the battery) -- When I placed the order for the vehicle -- Tesla told me I could add Ludicrous anytime after (but perhaps that is no longer the case)
  • Are there other things I should be looking for -- with the battery that might signal something faulty?
  • What are standard levels of battery degradation after 2 years?
  • For those who got the battery replaced under warranty -- what were some of the reason why the battery replacement was approved - i.e. what issues were you experiencing etc.
Am bummed that they included the center console about a week after I ordered and did the front fascia facelift a few months after I ordered and now this about the battery. Not to mention that I paid for air suspension, there were no showroom discounts when I ordered etc,

Conversely -- Autopilot 1 for the past 2 years has been great etc.

Cross posted in another thread -- but it might be more relevant in this one.... Mods -- feel free to remove the other one...

If you don't have Ludicrous, you won't have any issues with a V1/V2 battery, since the car won't call for the additional current needed for Ludicrous and the V1 battery is just fine for Insane. Some anecdotal evidence points to a V3 battery being more prone to degradation than a V1/V2, so you are probably better off having a V1/V2 battery for longevity anyway. This evidence for this is pretty thin and is basically purely conjecture at this point, but it's a little something to soothe you. :)

Nothing is "wrong" with V1/V2 batteries (that isn't wrong with ALL 90 packs), they just aren't capable of providing the max current needed for a Ludicrous launch. They are perfectly fine for Insane cars.

If you don't have Ludicrous, you won't have any issues with a V1/V2 battery, since the car won't call for the additional current needed for Ludicrous and the V1 battery is just fine for Insane. Some anecdotal evidence points to a V3 battery being more prone to degradation than a V1/V2, so you are probably better off having a V1/V2 battery for longevity anyway. This evidence for this is pretty thin and is basically purely conjecture at this point, but it's a little something to soothe you. :)

Nothing is "wrong" with V1/V2 batteries (that isn't wrong with ALL 90 packs), they just aren't capable of providing the max current needed for a Ludicrous launch. They are perfectly fine for Insane cars.
I would like to see what data you have that suggests that the V3 is more prone to degradation than a V1, as my extensive research reveals the exact opposite.

I also disagree that there is nothing "wrong" with the V1 pack. Apart from the range degradation issues, the V1 battery is 1500 amps, while the V2 and V3 are 1600 amps. If I bought a P90D ludicrous from the factory and the next guy, the next day, bought the same car, but I ended up with a V1 and he ended up with a V2, I would be lawsuit pissed.

I've cancelled 2 CPO P90D ludicrous exactly because they have V1 batteries. Further, Tesla's own parts list indicates that a V1 does NOT belong in a factory-ludicrous.