Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dennis:
Much thanks for confirming that the battery enclosure on the late July built 90D was indeed different. So a Flexpack in a 2.0 Enclosure eh?
It constantly amazes my how Tesla Motors is so utterly QUIET about these small but cumulative changes or evolutions of the Model S!
I wonder if these changes were a result of the model X requirements and then they bubbled over to the Model S?
Odd how no one who was at a recent Factory tour mentioned this new battery pack. It is quite different in exterior appearance than the older pack enclosure.
Actually more high tech looking.

Again thanks for the nomenclature Dennis87!

It constantly amazes my how Tesla Motors is so utterly QUIET about these small but cumulative changes or evolutions of the Model S!

Every time they aren't quiet about it, it spawns a 167-page thread, sometimes unnecessarily.

When they are quiet about it, at least there's a chance that a 167-page thread won't develop, or that it will be quieter.

:)

It appears that the P90D Ludicrous as a new function that pre-conditions the traction battery pack to optimal thermal settings thus providing reduced electrical pack impedance for quick starts (at the expense of power consumption). This is called MAX BATTERY POWER and is a selection under the SPORT - LUDICROUS slider. When you touch MAX BATTERY it responds with a "preparing" message. This was mentioned in the following thread -->Happy Birthday to me... it's a P90D and subsequently a separate thread was created about this feature of the P90D --> Max Battery Power setting in P90DL

Thus the P90D Ludicrous appears to have three performance modes....

SPORT
LUDICROUS
LUDICROUS + MAX BATTERY POWER

and as such has three performance curves.

Last edited:
Tesla, has the following badges on cars.

40 (Discontinued)
60 (Discontinued)
70D
P85 (Discontinued)
P85+ (Discontinued)
85D
P85D
P85D (Ludicrous upgraded P85D that I don't think is available yet, you can tell on the actual car because it's underlined)
90D
P90D
P90D (Again, Ludicrous version has a underlined badge like the picture up thread)
Also remember that there exists the option to get your car without a badge. (For whatever reason)

The signature editions don't have any special badging do they? Just the nice red color option?

I don't believe there was ever a 40 badge - early cars had no model designation and the 40 was discontinued before they started fitting them.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the list! As for coloring, is this correct?

40 (Discontinued)
60 (Discontinued)
70D
P85 (Discontinued)
P85+ (Discontinued)
85D
P85D
P85D (Ludicrous upgraded P85D that I don't think is available yet, you can tell on the actual car because it's underlined)
90D
P90D
P90D (Again, Ludicrous version has a underlined badge like the picture up thread)
Also remember that there exists the option to get your car without a badge. (For whatever reason)

No - there are 3 colors - black, red and silver.

Numbers and symbols (the + character, and the new underline) are always silver.
P cars have red letters
Non-P cars have black letters

- - - Updated - - -

p90d.png

This is not a photo of an actual car - it's a render of what one of the motoring websites guessed the P90D badge might look like. They got it wrong, and drew the underline to match the red letters, when it's actually all chrome and matches the silver letters.

If you look carefully you can also see that the "90" is a font they found that closely matches the Tesla font and they've just photoshopped it on to a picture of a P85D.

Last edited:
(snip)
This is not a photo of an actual car - it's a render of what one of the motoring websites guessed the P90D badge might look like. They got it wrong, and drew the underline to match the red letters, when it's actually all chrome and matches the silver letters.

If you look carefully you can also see that the "90" is a font they found that closely matches the Tesla font and they've just photoshopped it on to a picture of a P85D.

…and here is a picture of an actual car. ;-)

TL;DR : Letters, in red, numbers and underlining in silver (chrome.)

Edit : Sorry, I posted too quickly… I thought you (mgboyes) had posted the picture thinking no P90D had been delivered yet. My apologies.

Working on it now. At 55% from 15%. 59kw @ 56%, 84kw @ 40%, 114kw @ 25%. I'll post a zip of all the photos later tonight.

39% = 112KW

59% = 74KW
60% = 72KW
61% = 70KW
62% = 68KW
63% = 66KW
64% = 65KW
65% = 64KW
67% = 60KW
68% = 59KW
70% = 58KW
71% = 56KW
72% = 55KW
73% = 54KW
74% = 53KW
77% = 48KW
83% = 40KW

In some cases, this looks considerably slower than the P85D. Were you charging after a Max temp Ludicrous cycle or do you see these charge rates after normal driving? Did you have the stack to yourself or was there someone else sharing?

Also, curious as to what would happen if you selected the max power mode while charging. Would it use the heater to heat the battery or would it just charge a lot faster which would also heat the battery?

In some cases, this looks considerably slower than the P85D. Were you charging after a Max temp Ludicrous cycle or do you see these charge rates after normal driving? Did you have the stack to yourself or was there someone else sharing?

Also, curious as to what would happen if you selected the max power mode while charging. Would it use the heater to heat the battery or would it just charge a lot faster which would also heat the battery?

I don't think I can turn it on while charging, but also don't want to risk finding out if having it on degrades the battery.

I did have the stack to myself and I had just driven like 120 miles or something to drop the battery down so it was hot.

Yeah, the P90D was clocking in 5-10 kW less than the charge curve for an 85 kWh.

@Pete - If you could just grab another data set of SpC from 30-45% that's all I would need to know if the taper was different. Oh, and preferably not just after the pack has been heated as that will for sure reduce charging rates.