Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D (Insane) is quicker than P85D - Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have already have it :)

453 KW at 89% without max battery.

This is wonderful. Frankly now, does it feel like a new experience? Or have you become quickly jaded?
I have only test driven a P85D twice and and P90DL once.
The P90DL really did feel like the power band was much longer.
But I let up at about 80MPH.

Did I tell you that on the first launch of the P90DL that my foot and entire body slid back and off the go pedal due to the G force and the seat angle?
Previous driver had the seat angle pretty far back and I had to quickly adjust that...

Does the OP have a Pano Roof? Just wondering how that car is optioned out regarding weight?

This is wonderful. Frankly now, does it feel like a new experience? Or have you become quickly jaded?
I have only test driven a P85D twice and and P90DL once.
The P90DL really did feel like the power band was much longer.
But I let up at about 80MPH.

Did I tell you that on the first launch of the P90DL that my foot and entire body slid back and off the go pedal due to the G force and the seat angle?
Previous driver had the seat angle pretty far back and I had to quickly adjust that...

Does the OP have a Pano Roof? Just wondering how that car is optioned out regarding weight?

It's an extra 50 hp across the board at everything above 45 MPH. It's noticeable but you get used to it after a while.

I'm shocked at how quickly I get up to 85 MPH when passing someone on a two lane road. From behind a car going 55 MPH, I nail it and am at 85 MPH by the time I've cleared that car. It happens very quick. Plenty quick enough for me. And that's in Sport Mode, not Insane Mode. For some, the Ludicrous option is well worth it.

Just wondering why you're choosing to drive around in Sport mode. What do you think the benefit of doing that is?

My car is fully optioned up with Panoramic roof, 21" wheels, Tesla Center Console added after, Sound system, air suspension. So I think it's probably as heavy as one can get. Add to that, I had close to 200 pounds of equipment in the car when I made my run. I do absolutely notice a difference when I launch with someone in the car versus when I'm by myself. So I'm pretty certain it would have been quicker had I unloaded the car first.

Daily driving, I never have a need for Insane power. A regular 90D would have satisfied my daily driving needs. It has plenty of power in Sport mode for all practical purposes on the road. Haven't come across one scenario yet where I wished I was in Insane mode. I assume Sport mode is more efficient, when is the reason I run in that mode for daily driving. If I need Insane mode for some reason, it's a push of button away.

Just wondering why you're choosing to drive around in Sport mode. What do you think the benefit of doing that is?

I assume Sport mode is more efficient, when is the reason I run in that mode for daily driving. If I need Insane mode for some reason, it's a push of button away.

It's not. That's why I asked.

The only reason sport mode would be more efficient would be if you were actually using the power available in insane mode. If you have the car in insane mode, but drive it as if it were in sport mode, the efficiency is exactly the same as if it were in sport mode.

So keeping it in insane mode all the time, and driving it as if it were in sport mode, if you ever do want insane mode for any reason, it's not even a push button away, but rather a little more pressure on the accelerator pedal away.

It's not. That's why I asked.

The only reason sport mode would be more efficient would be if you were actually using the power available in insane mode. If you have the car in insane mode, but drive it as if it were in sport mode, the efficiency is exactly the same as if it were in sport mode.

So keeping it in insane mode all the time, and driving it as if it were in sport mode, if you ever do want insane mode for any reason, it's not even a push button away, but rather a little more pressure on the accelerator pedal away.

If there's no benefit, efficiency or otherwise, to Sport mode, why does Tesla offer it as a selection?