Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Launch Control??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ludicrous Speed upgrade combined with the “Fast and Furious”-ready Model S P90D makes for some shocking acceleration numbers. With Ludicrous mode engaged and using the new launch control feature, 60 mph in the Tesla comes in a staggeringly quick 2.6 seconds with the driver experiencing a peak of 1.1 g up through 14 mph.

The above is an excerpt from Motor Trend and it talks about "Launch Control" Is that something within the P90D's Driving Control Settings? So you have to flip to "Ludicrous Mode" AND flip on "Launch Control"? Or is "Launch Control" that the Traction Control "switch"?

The Ludicrous Speed upgrade combined with the “Fast and Furious”-ready Model S P90D makes for some shocking acceleration numbers. With Ludicrous mode engaged and using the new launch control feature, 60 mph in the Tesla comes in a staggeringly quick 2.6 seconds with the driver experiencing a peak of 1.1 g up through 14 mph.

The above is an excerpt from Motor Trend and it talks about "Launch Control" Is that something within the P90D's Driving Control Settings? So you have to flip to "Ludicrous Mode" AND flip on "Launch Control"? Or is "Launch Control" that the Traction Control "switch"?

There is no launch control feature on shipping cars. They may have confused the "Max Battery Power" setting somehow?

There's a discussion about this in one of the other threads. Stonymonster is correct. There's speculation that MT got a non-production car, so maybe there will be launch control and maybe the P90DL will be able to hit 2.6 seconds with an OTA update.

Since 7.0, the P85D has this function as well.

However, as shokunin stated, there are questions regarding how much it will help increase performance beyond just letting the battery heat up during regular "spirited" driving and whether using this function too frequently will prematurely degrade the battery.

I see and now I understand:tongue: Too bad that most likely that feature will not be an addition to a P85D upgrade to Ludicrous. Tesla has informed me that my planned upgrade of my P85D will NOT give me the same power (0-60) as the P90D. They indicate that the P85DL will gain a .2 sec, which will put it between the P85D's 3.2 and the P90D's 2.8. So now is .2 seconds worth $5500?

- - - Updated - - -

Guess I need to check out my Controls panel. I did not notice that.:redface:

'Launch Control'

I keep coming back ~daily, checking the Interface forum for news of a download. I believe every other possible explanation for what Motor Trend described, and achieved, has been exhausted :crying:

[EDIT] There has been discussion on the forum. Many of us believe the ".2" reduction understates what a P85D will eventually do over a quarter mile. Or, IOW, its top end. It is very possible that only the P90D would get the benefit of launch control, but doubtful if all that amounts to is software.

Last edited:
I keep coming back ~daily, checking the Interface forum for news of a download. I believe every other possible explanation for what Motor Trend described, and achieved, has been exhausted :crying:

[EDIT] There has been discussion on the forum. Many of us believe the ".2" reduction understates what a P85D will eventually do over a quarter mile. Or, IOW, its top end. It is very possible that only the P90D would get the benefit of launch control, but doubtful if all that amounts to is software.

I can see how some can state that. The My Tesla page indicates(below) that both of our statements are true, which makes no sense.

"Retrofit your existing P85D from “INSANE” to “LUDICROUS”-level performance. This upgrade represents an estimate 10% increase in power over the already insane P85D, provides for a 0.2 second improvement over both the 0-60 mph and the quarter mile time, from your current vehicle performance. (The retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D"

Last edited:
I am still hopeful that the specs for the Ludicrous upgrade quoted by Tesla are conservative and that the P90D and the eventual P85D will similarly improve with an additional software update.
Of course, the P90D will have better performance because of the 6% bigger battery, but hopefully that will be degree of difference between the two cars.
But I don't think that the currently stated performance improvement with the P85D Ludicrous upgrade justifies even the reduced price of $5,000.
I also don't believe that performance differences will be due to the battery conditioning mode, because the P85D already has that.

I am still hopeful that the specs for the Ludicrous upgrade quoted by Tesla are conservative and that the P90D and the eventual P85D will similarly improve with an additional software update.
Of course, the P90D will have better performance because of the 6% bigger battery, but hopefully that will be degree of difference between the two cars.
But I don't think that the currently stated performance improvement with the P85D Ludicrous upgrade justifies even the reduced price of $5,000.
I also don't believe that performance differences will be due to the battery conditioning mode, because the P85D already has that.
Well, I checked out the control screen of my P85D and, sure enough, it has the Maximum Battery Performance "tab" under the SPORT/INSANE button. Didn't notice that with the 7.0 upgrade. Thanks for the heads up.