Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D - LUDICROUS & RANGE - Expectations and Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently circling the P90D with Ludicrous option.

It is obvious that perhaps TESLA has not published the actual EPA numbers for the P90D with Ludicrous as of this date.

The P85D is listed as 253 miles on a full charge... with the RANGE option added which results in a P90D, the 6% should roughly add 15 miles of range so perhaps the P90D will be in the 268 miles of range? 258 X 1.06 = 268 Do you think this number is correct??

I guess, first off, is the 253 range of the P85D a good number on a pleasant day over flat ground at 65 MPH on a long SuperCharger Trip?

I will ask a few performance questions later on in the thread... And I know that there are quite a few new variables (90 battery pack, fuse and inverter) which makes this a problematic topic at present.

Thanks

Last edited:
one thing to keep in mind for supercharging trips is the taper. Charging above 85% slows down quite a bit. Above 95, it grinds to a snail's pace. So, not advisable to exercise entire range of battery on supercharge trip except for first leg after overnight. given placement of superchargers, I don't know if there are many cases where a few extra miles of battery capacity is going to allow you to skip an additional charger. More likely will just let you drive a little faster over same distance... which is useful.

one thing to keep in mind for supercharging trips is the taper. Charging above 85% slows down quite a bit. Above 95, it grinds to a snail's pace. So, not advisable to exercise entire range of battery on supercharge trip except for first leg after overnight. given placement of superchargers, I don't know if there are many cases where a few extra miles of battery capacity is going to allow you to skip an additional charger. More likely will just let you drive a little faster over same distance... which is useful.

Though we don't know what the taper on a 90kwh battery looks like yet, it could be much better, or somewhat worse...

Very good point... so 268 X .85 = ~227 miles of supercharger recharge range - environmental factors may reduce that along with terrain.

Regarding Performance of the P90D with Ludicrous... what is the prognosis of the car's passing performance at highway speeds? Similar to the P85D or better?

Quarter Mile Time for the P85D = 11.6 Seconds Motor Trend - 0-60 = 3.1
Quarter Mile Time for the P90DL = 10.9 Seconds Tesla Motors - 0-60 = 2.8

So the P90DL 0-60 is .3 seconds quicker and .7 seconds quicker in the quarter mile, thats .4 seconds quicker from 60 to quarter mile top speed.
There appears to be more higher speed acceleration potential.

Last edited:
Ecarfan:
Yah, I know what you mean, I was just wondering if anyone has any more up to date information that I missed.
I very much look forward to hearing just what and where the P90DL performs.. and at what price... sucking that much juice with Ludicrous Launches has got to shorten overall range.

But if you baby the P90DL on a long Supercharger trip, I hope the range would still be there in Sport Mode with Range on??

Motor Trend has just posted their test results of the P90D on October 28, 2015...

Curb Weight = 4,689 Lbs.
0 - 60 MPH = 2.6 seconds
Quarter Mile = 10.9 seconds @ 122.7 MPH
Breaking 60-0 MPH in 109 Ft.
Lateral Acceleration = 0.92g Average
Motor Trend Figure 8 test = 24.7 sec at .81g average

Energy Consumption = 38 kWh city and 34 kWh highway / 100 miles

G force experienced = 1.1 g = 0 to 14 MPH

Motor Trend states the following ... "Only two cars that we have tested can outright beat the P90D Ludicrous to 60 MPH: the Porsche 918 Spyder and Ferrari LaFerrari. As for the other
hybrid hypercar, the McLaren P1, the Tesla ties it in a race to 60 MPH."

I haven't had my car long, but I did a full charge last night as we are heading out to North LA from San Diego this afternoon. It says right now that it has a rated range of 264.

I will report back after the trip to see how accurate this is. In my daily driving around SD, it is usually accurate to within 5 miles or so. I am not sure how the highway speeds will affect that though as I understand that these cars are more economical at lower speeds, correct?

If anyone wants any specific information, please lmk and I will try to help.

I will probably leave her in L mode with Range Mode on unless the kids or hubby start to complain about the a/c not working well enough.

I hope this helps. If not, lmk what else I can do to gather more data.