Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D owners - anyone upset yet at the 10.9 and 20% faster to 155mph claims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally thought Tesla needed more time (from releasing the L we know now) to fully understand the extra power draw and related effects on the battery. When the MT numbers came out I was pleased as surely this indicated Tesla was going to push an updated firmware. The only thing dumber than saying a car will do X when it can not, is saying it will do X, providing a magazine with a car that confirms it will do X then continuing to ship a version that can not do X.

It has been a while since the MT numbers came out (and were promoted by Tesla) and there has been nothing from Tesla in the way of a firmware update or any explanation for what is going on. I'm starting to loose faith and I had A LOT.

I have initiated a dialog with Tesla about moving from my P85D to a P90DL provided the DL could achieve the advertised performance. That conversation has gone suspiciously quiet with the ball firmly in Tesla's court. Granted, that is not strange. I've had them go quiet on me before when they were trying to get their collective act/story straight. I hope this is the case this time and that the ultimate response is positive.

running at the drag strip would not help, the car doesn't spin the tires on the street, if anything, you see slower times at the drag strip due to increased resistance from all of the track prep...

Exactly. I don't believe it would drop .326 seconds either.

Certainly it would help vs running the car on non treated asphalt or road concrete as most of these Vbox runs are made. But .326 seconds, I doubt.

I don't know how MT managed to get 10.9 at 122.7 mph

That said though, it would be interesting to see what one of these cars would run at Atco or MIR where track prep is typically top notch.

I wonder how many Europeans are not ordering the P90DL b/c none of them are hitting sub 11s, it would be interesting to get a few to sound off on this. If I were considering buying one, I'd definitely be put off until Tesla delivered MT's quarter times.

I don't think it plays a significant role. Many over here buy a Model S for environmental or tax reasons. From a performance standpoint, the car is not ready yet for prime time since "at speed" it is not on par with German brands. No drag strips over here, only race tracks. Highway passing power is what counts. But that doesn't mean a P85D or P90D is not a lot of fun at the traffic lights. So people that want to have their personal roller coaster will buy one anyway. :rolleyes:

The market for supersonic jets is quite small. What I do believe is that Tesla is selling less Ps in Europe because a regular D will perform almost as good at highway speeds and costs a lot less. If the Ps would perform better at highway speeds, this would change.

running at the drag strip would not help, the car doesn't spin the tires on the street, if anything, you see slower times at the drag strip due to increased resistance from all of the track prep...

As I think about it, I'm inclined to agree.

No gear shifts would mean no spinning in between gear shifts. So no, track prep likely would not help.

I originally thought Tesla needed more time (from releasing the L we know now) to fully understand the extra power draw and related effects on the battery. When the MT numbers came out I was pleased as surely this indicated Tesla was going to push an updated firmware. The only thing dumber than saying a car will do X when it can not, is saying it will do X, providing a magazine with a car that confirms it will do X then continuing to ship a version that can not do X.

+100

I originally thought Tesla needed more time (from releasing the L we know now) to fully understand the extra power draw and related effects on the battery.

Maybe they are putting more focus on dealing with the Model X production ramp up?

What I find annoying is that they do not communicate if they are in such a situation. We've been there multiple times since the beginning of 2015. Remember torque sleep, the next gen seats, the 691 theoretical horses and now the "ludicrous" 20% speed improvement.

Taking up the 691 hp issue with Tesla requires a small amount of effort given Tesla's claim is actually based on some standard somewhere. Common sense would tell the average person there is no "cover" in that story but at least there is something.

The 10.9 1/4 miles is black and white. This is especially true when you consider Tesla has, up until this point, always met and many times bettered their published 1/4 mile times.

I'm not saying there is not merit to the hp discussion. I'm just pointing out that there simply is no place to hide at all on the 1/4 mile number.

Musk is always ambitious with firmware general availability dates. By months. Suspect it's firmware, not weight or any other tricks. Hope they haven't run into a serious snag. Motor trend would be top of the irate list if they were given beta that turns out impractical. So far tesla engineers have met every challenge... Eventually.

Musk is always ambitious with firmware general availability dates. By months. Suspect it's firmware, not weight or any other tricks. Hope they haven't run into a serious snag. Motor trend would be top of the irate list if they were given beta that turns out impractical. So far tesla engineers have met every challenge... Eventually.

I'm sure that, given time, they will deliver on this one as well. Not sure if it will require another hardware upgrade... :crying:

I'm sure that, given time, they will deliver on this one as well. Not sure if it will require another hardware upgrade... :crying:

...or until they decide that they need *another* hardware upgrade to achieve that time "reliably". They'll announced a new faster PD with plaid speed and for $5K, the P90D can upgrade, but not the P85D:crying:

I'm a sucker so I'll give them a one time pass on the whole L upgrade thing. I actually believe L was never intended and the hardware requirements were an unanticipated bump in the road. If it turns out it is a new way of doing business, it will be a significant turn off for me.

...or until they decide that they need *another* hardware upgrade to achieve that time "reliably". They'll announced a new faster PD with plaid speed and for $5K, the P90D can upgrade, but not the P85D:crying:

Well, in other brands third parties offer these kinds of performance upgrades. Tesla is in the "luxury position?" to be able to rule their own world. The R&D effort required to push the envelope a little further needs to be paid somehow by someone... Tesla figures it might as well be us and who can blame them... Of course, what they shouldn't do is promise performance and not deliver that performance afterwards.

Whilst I agree with you that many (most) don't buy a Model S (anywhere) for either drag strip nor ring racing, I disagree with your sentiment that the Model S is "not yet ready for prime time since at speed, it is not on par with the German brands.

The majority of folks are buying the car to use as a regular car / daily driver (not a track car), then the P85D in its current state is certainly good enough and ready for primetime.

The "drag strip" component (fast acceleration from a stopped position, whether "flat out", or not) is used by many in daily driving...ring racing speeds are basically a non entity in daily driving.

Yes, we would all like a little more oomph from 50 to 80 mph (me included)...The Ludicrous upgrade is a good start imo.

I don't think it plays a significant role. Many over here buy a Model S for environmental or tax reasons. From a performance standpoint, the car is not ready yet for prime time since "at speed" it is not on par with German brands. No drag strips over here, only race tracks. Highway passing power is what counts. But that doesn't mean a P85D or P90D is not a lot of fun at the traffic lights. So people that want to have their personal roller coaster will buy one anyway. :rolleyes:

The market for supersonic jets is quite small. What I do believe is that Tesla is selling less Ps in Europe because a regular D will perform almost as good at highway speeds and costs a lot less. If the Ps would perform better at highway speeds, this would change.

I would probably recommend that Tesla stop trying to cater to the uber-technical, gotta have the biggest... number size... crowd and focus on the experience like Apple does. They're finding out just how... difficult... that crowd can be. The marginal benefit appears to be shrinking every day.