Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Owners - What Is Your Wh/mile and 90% Rated Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so has anyone yet drove the car down to single % battery and logged your miles? from what i hear the 90D's are not showing the right numbers at this time. is it just a not showing, or not capable of?

This is really hard experiment to do, plus if you do it right it takes pretty much an entire day.

However side note for this thread, I've noticed that your 90% mileage depends on your charging speed. Charging 120@16A stops consistently lower. I'd assume 80A would be the highest, but I don't have dual chargers to test.

338 whm
232 miles at 90%
21" Staggered
Ludicrous always on/Range mode usually off

Originally my 90% was 246, but I suppose the algorithm uses this data to get RR and since my long distance driving is usually at 80mph, that would push RR down from when I first took delivery?

Of course, I now just use battery percentage rather than miles.

You should check other threads to make sure I'm correct, but I am reasonably certain that there is no adjustment being done to your rated range based on your driving habits.

You rated range available will vary some based on how deeply you cycle the battery. Typically shallow cycles temporarily show a reduced rated range, but a few deep cycles and charges to 90% usually bring the rated range back to about what its max is likely to be.

At least this is my understanding.

I have 12000 miles on my car and get 223 miles at 90%. (244 at 100%) Its almost like having a 70D. It fell to this level after 3000 miles. I have had an open ticket with Tesla for 4 months with their response that it is not the battery, it is the software. So I await that magical software upgrade. My full charge is 245 miles. Has anyone else experienced this level of degradation and what has their response been?

Posts like this remind me of why I ordered the 85 instead of the 70 . . . and then upgraded to the 90! Damn - 244 at 100% is horrible!

Is it just because they're PD models? My old P85 still gets 226 on a dailt 90%-ish charge, and about 250-255 with a max charge. I would've expected the 90s to show much higher. Though I guess the 330s are still about 3% higher, and 90 vs 85 is only a 6% difference.

Ahhh... BUT WHAT FUN MILES THEY ARE MY FRIEND!

At the end of day 1:

Hey, you got your car! I must have missed it if you posted that elsewhere.

Congrats!

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just because they're PD models? My old P85 still gets 226 on a dailt 90%-ish charge, and about 250-255 with a max charge. I would've expected the 90s to show much higher. Though I guess the 330s are still about 3% higher, and 90 vs 85 is only a 6% difference.

I haven't followed it very closely, but I believe the issue is the new 90 pack, not the fact that they are PDs.

There is a long thread here:

90D Range slowly declining

As I say, I'm not really on top of this, but I think the general consensus is that there's a software issue causing the packs to show much less rated range than they are really capable of. In other words, the packs appear to be degrading quickly, but probably really aren't.

(I could be mistaken about the above, but I imagine if you read the 47-page thread I referenced you'll know a lot more. I have not read it myself.)

Edit: I piqued my own curiosity and took a quick look. Below is an excerpt from post 461 in that thread.

As I have posted before, my P90DL went all the way down to 220 miles at 90% (Sept 8 Pickup) within 2 months. They have assured me that its simply the software algorithm. It had stayed at this level until the last month or so. After the last few updates it has risen to 226 miles at 90% so the algorithm theory makes sense.

Andy:
I posted a post & few pictures in the Sticky Delivery thread for the Model S.
The car is amazing.... very tight, very torquey.
Not one complaint at all so far... very quiet. Much more quiet than the P90D which I tested very early on when it was first introduced.
I suspect Tesla has done something with insulation and vibration isolation in that regard.
The heater also just blows me out of the cabin.... it brought the car up from 35 to 64 in about 17 minutes this AM during a precondition charge.
First charge this AM started at 12 miles per hour then ramped up to about 24 as I recall, using 40A. The garage temp was 27F at that time.

The S was worth the wait... for sure.
Just been futzing with WiFi to get it out into the barn... using the new eero WiFi mesh network system... so far so good.

BTW, your recollections regarding the 90D rated range are correct based upon my addled memory. :smile:

Art

Last edited:
Andy:
First charge this AM started at 12 miles per hour then ramped up to about 24 as I recall, using 40A. The garage temp was 27F at that time.

Just been futzing with WiFi to get it out into the barn... using the new eero WiFi mesh network system... so far so good.

Since you're probably been really busy taking delivery, etc. you may not be aware that the current firmware version has bugs that affect charge rate and WiFi. I'm pointing this out because since it's all new to you I don't want you banging your head against the wall about something that is actually a bug. The bugs are being discussed in the Firmware 7.1 thread:

Firmware 7.1

Hi Andy: I am on 2.12.126 with no bugs that I can see.

Did you read about the charging bug? It is fixed in the version of firmware being pushed now, 2.13.77, but most people with dual chargers seemed to have it in 2.12.126. You don't mention dual chargers in your sig, so perhaps you don't have them. In a nutshell at amp settings below 60 or so the car was charging at half the rate, using just one of the two chargers, but above 60 (or perhaps 64) charging was fine.

The wifi bug was that connections to wifi networks seemed to need to be made manually, instead of connecting on their own, for some people.

I don't want to drag this thread off-topic. These are discussed in the 7.1 thread. I just didn't want to see you frustrated by things that were bugs, that you didn't realize were bugs because everything was new to you.

Everything is working perfectly for me on 2.12.126. Nope, do not have dual chargers (yet). It does auto connect to my WiFi after the first connect which of course required the password. BTW Andy I installed the new eero meshed WiFi system. You may want to look into that. I needed to extend my network out to the detached garage/barn and the new eero does the trick. eero - Finally, WiFi that works
It is not inexpensive but it really is state of the art.

Well, I have about 6500 miles on my car now, and I'm fairly certain that at 60-65mph here in SoCal I could easily get 275-300 miles. But, I never really drive that far at 60-65 mph since that is freeway mileage. The car gets much better range, of course, at lower speeds than at higher ones.