Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Owners - What Is Your Wh/mile and 90% Rated Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! The "P" really sucks the power, doesn't it?
My 90D range at 90% is 263, and avg. wh/mi is just under 300.
I didn't think there would be so much difference. Do you guys tend to punch it from every stop?

Wow! The "P" really sucks the power, doesn't it?
My 90D range at 90% is 263, and avg. wh/mi is just under 300.
I didn't think there would be so much difference. Do you guys tend to punch it from every stop?

Yea, mostly my lead foot really sucks the power....

I can get mid 200's if I drive it like a Prius and want to get laughed at all over town....nah....I prefer to be in the passing lane. As Musk said, we don't make slow cars....

I was reminded a few days ago about how meaningless these numbers are. I was stopped (but still in the car) for about 40 minutes when it was 45F out. The heat was on the whole time drawing quite a lot of power. When I put it in drive and took off, the trip meters measured 0 additional usage, although I had clearly lost _many_ miles of rated range.

Now that winter is over I'd probably guesstimate that actual usage for trips under 5 miles was over 900Wh/mi, with it actually being reported as 500-600 Wh/mi. With temperatures in the 60-70F range now the equivalent trips have reported usage is 300-400Wh/mi, but who knows what the actual consumption is.

I don't think Tesla will be able to get away with such large discrepancies when they deliver 500k Model 3's.

AWDtsla:
You are very very correct. Each morning when I start out from home and begin my journey to my Gym, right off the get go, I am a 1200 Wh/m for the first .1 mile and then that begins to diminish to typically 290 Wh/m when I arrive at the gym in 3 miles distance. That is as you would expect 30 - 35 MPH town driving on two lane roads. So many short drives make things VERY pessimistic at first. Also On Ramps just eat the Watts don't they? In the typical P90DL way! Smiles Smiles Smiles

Also On Ramps just eat the Watts don't they?
surprisingly my numbers dont vary much when i drive in "grandma mode" [which is still faster than pretty much anything around me] and when i punch it on the onramps to and from work. city driving and above 70mph seem to be the killers for me.

yes, yes, many variables... but besides accelerating like a lunatic, what else is there to do but count the wh/mi when the car is driving me to work?

I have 12000 miles on my car and get 223 miles at 90%. (244 at 100%) Its almost like having a 70D. It fell to this level after 3000 miles. I have had an open ticket with Tesla for 4 months with their response that it is not the battery, it is the software. So I await that magical software upgrade. My full charge is 245 miles. Has anyone else experienced this level of degradation and what has their response been?
Wow. I know this is a P90D thread, but I was feeling bad that my 85 with 58,000 miles was suffering at 221 at 90% and 245 (this morning topped of at 100%). Still, everything I have heard is that this is all software related. Good luck.

OD: 7,800
WH/Mile: 339 Lifetime
90% Rated Range: 247
100% Rated Range: 275
WHEEL SIZE: Staggered 21
Ludicrous: Yes
Tires: Michelin PSS @ 40 psi

I live in MS and received my P90DL in late May. When delivered, it registered 282 miles @100% and 254 @90% rated miles. Immediately following a software update, the 90% reduced to 248-249 miles. It's been at 248 for a while and just today dropped to 247.

I recently made a trip to Atlanta (330 miles with one SC stop) and discharged to 16% on the return trip. A charge back to 100% showed 275 rated miles. I drive daily 50-70 miles around town and the car stays plugged in and charged to 90% most of the time (I work from home).

Last edited:
OD: 5,951 (3,589 of ours, it was a Demo car)
WH/Mile: 334 (for the last 3,589)
90% Rated Range: 242
100% Rated Range: 270
WHEEL SIZE: Staggered 21
Ludicrous: Yes
Tires: Michelin PSS @ 40 psi
Refresh: No
Battery Part # 1071394-00-A (matches the part # of the June Electrek article that were in the 1st batch of refresh models Tesla is secretly adding over 50 hp to the Model S P90D Ludicrous based on 3rd party testing, what does it mean?)

This is a 50/50 mix of longer road trips on 2 lane highways at 60mph (Autopilot limited) that gets sub 300 W/m and a bunch of around town sprints off the line that yields >450 W/m. It will sit for sometimes a week at a time 80% SOC, but then has had some longer trips were we charged to 100% which from what I have read will "rebalance" the battery.

221 @90 was 226 @90 a week ago
14k miles
Ludicrous

It keeps dropping. Just talked with service last week. They suggested running a couple max charges letting the battery drain down between. I lost 5 more miles after doing that step. Will be calling service tomorrow. If it's software it is an easy fix. Which means it should have been done by now.

The car is an absolute blast.
Update
11/17/2016
P90DL Delivered 9/29/2015
222 @90
246 @100
22k miles
Ludicrous

Service stated the range loss is a software issue - tried a new software version with the fix, no real change. Working with service to come up with a solution.

Update
11/17/2016
P90DL Delivered 9/29/2015
222 @90
246 @100
22k miles
Ludicrous

Service stated the range loss is a software issue - tried a new software version with the fix, no real change. Working with service to come up with a solution.

Holy crap. Have you tried a discharge down to the teens and then a full charge yet?

380km/236 @ first supercharge 2 days after delivery
373km/232 @ 885km/550
362km/225 @ 8,500km/5,280
Wh/M around 322 Wh/km / 200Wh/m

The car has been stable around 225 for a while.

Update: 90% is 354km/220 miles @ 24,000km/14,900 miles. 393km/244 for 100%.

Lifetime now is 212 Wh/km or 341 Wh/m. I have a v1 P90DL delivered in December 2015. I think most P85D owners have better range than me regardless of mileage. So much for the extra 6%. I have done the full charge and discharge twice in a row thing and have been assured everything is fine. So overall a 7% loss in just under a year.

Still love the car.

Holy crap. Have you tried a discharge down to the teens and then a full charge yet?
Yes I tried the balancing battery many times. Sometimes as low as the teens.
I am very disappointed with this issue. I only enjoyed less than 2 months at 268, before it fell to 254. Since then it slowly dropped to the current 246. I literally paid $3000 for 2 months of 268 range. Plus if you consider battery level maps to performance, I also paid $10000 for a car that had the best 0-60 and quarter mile performance for just the same 2 month period. So while I LOVE the car, I am very disappointed with this issue.

I see from the prior post Ames is in the same situation.

Since the newer P90D cars all getting the range we paid for, I am really not feeling the love for Tesla. How can they not compensate for this travesty. They should provide new replacement batteries for those cars that have had ridiculously quick battery degradation.

• Informative
Reactions: AWDtsla
Yes I tried the balancing battery many times. Sometimes as low as the teens.
I am very disappointed with this issue. I only enjoyed less than 2 months at 268, before it fell to 254. Since then it slowly dropped to the current 246. I literally paid $3000 for 2 months of 268 range. Plus if you consider battery level maps to performance, I also paid $10000 for a car that had the best 0-60 and quarter mile performance for just the same 2 month period. So while I LOVE the car, I am very disappointed with this issue.

I see from the prior post Ames is in the same situation.

Since the newer P90D cars all getting the range we paid for, I am really not feeling the love for Tesla. How can they not compensate for this travesty. They should provide new replacement batteries for those cars that have had ridiculously quick battery degradation.

Sounds like you got a lemon battery.