TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P90D range according to EPA: identical to P85D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarcG, Aug 8, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

It makes sense to me. The 2015 Volt got a bigger battery, but GM didn't recertify it so it got rated the same range. So Tesla may have done the same here.

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Looks like the marketing brain at Tesla had a stroke.

4. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

"According to the EPA, there is no range advantage for the 90kWh option. However, as we’ve seen before with the Chevrolet Volt., it’s likely that Tesla didn’t submit the 90D or P90D for EPA testing, thus it’s stuck with same exact official figures as the 85 kWh version.

But Tesla does state time and again that the 90 kWh battery gets you approximately 6% more range, so figure a combined range of 286 miles for the 90D and 268 miles for the P90D."

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

The 90D pack I believe is almost exactly the same weight as the 85. The increased capacity is due to a larger concentration of graphite in the anode. If you add 5kWh to the pack, you HAVE to have that additional capacity available as more range. The only explanation is that the 90D hasn't been tested. Otherwise, the cars are virtually identical.

6. Maaz

Maaz Member

I wasn't tested therefore the exact range data from previous cars were used.