Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D range - Should mine be better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been concerned with my P90D's range since getting it in March. Took a road trip today and wanted to see if there's something I should get checked out.

P90D, 20" tires (over 4K miles on them), range mode ON, driving from Palo Alto area to Truckee and back.

I'll focus on 2 legs with data from TeslaLog
#1 - Home To Rocklin Tesla supercharger
- Beginning 223 range SOC 89%
- Drove 142.8 miles starting at 5:05am
- Outside temperature ranged from 61-66, AC set at 72
- Avg 404 Wh/mile
- Avg highway speed seemed to be ~78 MPH - entirely highway except for maybe 2 miles
- Finished with SOC 14%, range 36

#2 - Rocklin Tesla supercharger to Home
- Beginning 222 range SOC 89%
- Drove 152.4 miles starting at 2:12pm - had to go a different route due to traffic
- Outside temperature ranged from 90-75, AC set at 74
- Avg 384 Wh/mile
- Avg highway speed seemed to be ~67 MPH - more time on non highway roads (maybe 10-15%)
- Finished with SOC 14%, range 35 miles

My average Wh/mile only seems to be below 335 if I drive local roads conservatively. I see others that seem to be getting much better Wh/mile and I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the car or my expectations.

My opinion is that this is typical. Rated range is under ideal driving (conservative) conditions. Factors that reduce range include outside temp, speed, elevation. I always keep a healthy range buffer so I don't worry about the above factors - and drive it like any other vehicle. Congrats on your sweet ride!

I'm right there with you. I haven't generated as detailed of logs as you have yet but it is very common for me to be averaging around 400Wh/mi at even lower average speeds than you. I'm thinking it could be the AC or the fans, but we are having trouble not being too hot in the car even when the outside air temp is in the 60's and 70's due to the amount of sunlight getting in.