Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D to be discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Tesla store today, and heard that the P90D will be no longer available as soon as of this week, at least this is what I heard from the sales person. I was thinking of picking up a P90D by next year and she told me that I would have to put my order in asap before they take it off. P100D is a beast and I love it. Drove a friend 90D and just test drove the P90D and P100D but for some reason the P90D felt kinda slow and didn't pay attention if it was on sport or insane mode? The difference was huge between the P100D and P90D so maybe the P90D that I drove was on a sport mode.

• Helpful
Reactions: Merrill
Drove the P90D Ludicrous. Got all the 2.8 0-60 out of it. They are all great.

Not surprised they are eliminating the 90 and moving to the new 100 battery architecture. The "immersion" architecture allows more batteries to be put in the same amount of space as the 90. They eliminate all the plumbing that has gone into the rest of our batteries. That's the HUGE difference between 90s and 100s. The original change from the 85s to the 90s was the chemistry by adding silicon to the anodes to get 90kw out of the same battery packs.

Not sure the price difference for you. But huge deals can be had on the older (90) models with the (100) models now coming out. Look into CPO or even better, demo vehicles. Otherwise, just order the new P100DL you really want to get!

Reactions: davidc18
  • Informative
Reactions: beths11 and Blu Zap
Doubtful. I was on multiple times in the ~45 minutes between your first post and my post and it was working for me the entire time. Perhaps it was a local issue on your end...or perhaps they had a CDN issue. Either way, the Design Studio worked for me from 7:30 until 8:15 am this morning.
Then there is only one possibility.

Shenanigans! :)

(But honestly it was down for me earlier.)

Never heard it called that before - any more details? What does "immersion" mean in context of the new battery architecture?
@Canuck links provided sum up the definition. 85 - 90 was a chemistry change adding silicon to the anodes. 90 - 100 is a physical capacity change allowing more cells in the same size battery module by re-configuring the battery climate control plumbing.

So the entry price for either insane or ludicrous performance is now much higher (P100D only). Tesla will sell fewer cars with that kind of performance, although at high margins. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether the company has been under some subtle pressure from the regulators (NHTSA) to sell fewer crazy-fast cars.

So the entry price for either insane or ludicrous performance is now much higher (P100D only). Tesla will sell fewer cars with that kind of performance, although at high margins. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether the company has been under some subtle pressure from the regulators (NHTSA) to sell fewer crazy-fast cars.
Or they're under pressure from Wall St. to increase their margins?

They seem to have quite a lot of P100D orders to fill. When the 100D comes out you will know their P100D orders are running low.

Reactions: MP3Mike