TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

P90D to be discontinued

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by leletyM3, Nov 1, 2016.

1. leletyM3

leletyM3 Member

I was at the Tesla store today, and heard that the P90D will be no longer available as soon as of this week, at least this is what I heard from the sales person. I was thinking of picking up a P90D by next year and she told me that I would have to put my order in asap before they take it off. P100D is a beast and I love it. Drove a friend 90D and just test drove the P90D and P100D but for some reason the P90D felt kinda slow and didn't pay attention if it was on sport or insane mode? The difference was huge between the P100D and P90D so maybe the P90D that I drove was on a sport mode.

• Helpful x 1
  2. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Drove the P90D Ludicrous. Got all the 2.8 0-60 out of it. They are all great.

Not surprised they are eliminating the 90 and moving to the new 100 battery architecture. The "immersion" architecture allows more batteries to be put in the same amount of space as the 90. They eliminate all the plumbing that has gone into the rest of our batteries. That's the HUGE difference between 90s and 100s. The original change from the 85s to the 90s was the chemistry by adding silicon to the anodes to get 90kw out of the same battery packs.

Not sure the price difference for you. But huge deals can be had on the older (90) models with the (100) models now coming out. Look into CPO or even better, demo vehicles. Otherwise, just order the new P100DL you really want to get!

• Like x 1
  3. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Never heard it called that before - any more details? What does "immersion" mean in context of the new battery architecture?

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Oh how our perception of "fast" and "slow" has changed over the past few years... ;)

• Like x 4
  5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

If Tesla is now flooding the cell cavity in coolant as opposed to using conducting piping, then I think I'm going to wait a year or so before upgrading to the P100DL. I'd like to see how that approach works out for them before jumping in to the deep end of the immersion pool :)

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  6. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

Design studio is down. :eek:

7. bro1999

bro1999 Member

Makes sense. Not enough of a gap to justify a 90 and 100.

Can't keep track with all the battery size availability changes! Was much simpler when it was just a 60 and 85.

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

It's working for me and the P90D is still there.

9. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

Perhaps the passage of time is relevant?

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

Doubtful. I was on multiple times in the ~45 minutes between your first post and my post and it was working for me the entire time. Perhaps it was a local issue on your end...or perhaps they had a CDN issue. Either way, the Design Studio worked for me from 7:30 until 8:15 am this morning.

• Like x 1
  11. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

FWIW, the Tesla Shop Page was also down yesterday for at least 30-40 minutes. I suspect the two issues are related and there was some networking/CDN issues yesterday.

• Like x 1
  12. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

Then there is only one possibility.

Shenanigans! :)

(But honestly it was down for me earlier.)

14. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

@Canuck links provided sum up the definition. 85 - 90 was a chemistry change adding silicon to the anodes. 90 - 100 is a physical capacity change allowing more cells in the same size battery module by re-configuring the battery climate control plumbing.

15. vigge50

vigge50 Member

Is it to mush to hope for that 100D will come at the same time and that the Model X seat comes to all versions of Model S?

16. leletyM3

leletyM3 Member

P90D is gone!

17. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

So the entry price for either insane or ludicrous performance is now much higher (P100D only). Tesla will sell fewer cars with that kind of performance, although at high margins. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether the company has been under some subtle pressure from the regulators (NHTSA) to sell fewer crazy-fast cars.

18. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Or they're under pressure from Wall St. to increase their margins?

19. outie

outie Active Member

They seem to have quite a lot of P100D orders to fill. When the 100D comes out you will know their P100D orders are running low.

• Like x 1
  20. aja2460

aja2460 Old Member

I think, for once, my P90D just became more valuable.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1