Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Vampire Drain average?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To answer your un-asked question, turn off sentry mode and summon standby.

Don't have Sentry mode friend... Still interested in people's results with their settings on... I feel like mine is doing a lot of drain..

Do you use any 3rd party apps to add features or track stats of your car? If so, they cause drain by pinging the car and keeping it from sleeping.

No Sir/Madam... No 3rd party apps for me :)... Thanks for your response as well...

2015 P90D here with an average of .75 mph maybe? I sometimes see as low as 8 miles drain off in a day and other times I'll lose up to 24 miles. I do use apps and also have whatever setting that keeps it 'awaker' turned on.

Battery is almost certainly the first version - I've never checked and what's the point. Hopefully the degradation will be great enough by August of '23 that I can get a new battery for free. Currently down to about 180 real miles at 100% charge so I think I'm on track. :)

2015 P90D here with an average of .75 mph maybe? I sometimes see as low as 8 miles drain off in a day and other times I'll lose up to 24 miles. I do use apps and also have whatever setting that keeps it 'awaker' turned on.

Battery is almost certainly the first version - I've never checked and what's the point. Hopefully the degradation will be great enough by August of '23 that I can get a new battery for free. Currently down to about 180 real miles at 100% charge so I think I'm on track. :)

Thank you for sharing your data! Wow... 8 to 24 miles in 24 hours borders horrid to unacceptable, no ?

Also... Did you say you're getting 190 miles on a 100% charge on a P90D!? What version do you have? How old is your battery... Man that is crazy degradation! :-(

I lose around 10 to 15 a day In maybe a 12 hour period when car is Sitting at work. It’s typically only in the summer when it’s this bad. sentry and summon are off but what gets it is the Cabin overheat protection. It kicks in at 105 deg and here in Texas lately it’s been pretty hot. Doesn’t take much to get the interior up to this temp.
if sentry and summon standby were on at work it would be much worse

@Fragger -The 180 real miles I referenced isn’t what shows on the display; the computer is holding out hope that I could get 244 on a full charge but most of us are aware of how that calculation has been toyed with over the years.

I would imagine the battery is as old as the car, an August 2015 build. I wasn’t the first owner and haven’t ever looked at the part number sticker. Perhaps I’ll try to snag that later today and post it.

With a powertrain warranty that is supposedly good until August of 2023 I figure I’ve got plenty of time to just enjoy the nearly-unsafe power the car has rather than worry about how far I can go. I commute about 50 miles one way for work but we have a charger there to get most of that back. I don’t often do longer trips that need supercharging but have done a few. So far it hasn’t been a deal breaker for me.

C937DC83-C7C1-4438-B96C-C038154224B5.jpeg

I went digging to try to find out what version that is and couldn’t easily find it. I know I’ve seen the part numbers before but I’m currently away from home and on mobile. I’ll be able to try searching again once I’m home on a real PC but if anyone knows in the meantime by all means please chime in.

I lose around 10 to 15 a day In maybe a 12 hour period when car is Sitting at work. It’s typically only in the summer when it’s this bad. sentry and summon are off but what gets it is the Cabin overheat protection. It kicks in at 105 deg and here in Texas lately it’s been pretty hot. Doesn’t take much to get the interior up to this temp.
if sentry and summon standby were on at work it would be much worse

Thank you for sharing your data. I don't have Sentry capability, but I do keep the ability to Summon and cabin climate protection feature on... But my daily loss in now closer to what you've described solid 10 or + miles loss a day! Wonder if it's the Texas heat, but when I got in April, I swear it was a steady 5 miles in 24 hours... I wonder if the recent software update has a drain somewhere?

@Fragger -The 180 real miles I referenced isn’t what shows on the display; the computer is holding out hope that I could get 244 on a full charge but most of us are aware of how that calculation has been toyed with over the years.

I would imagine the battery is as old as the car, an August 2015 build. I wasn’t the first owner and haven’t ever looked at the part number sticker. Perhaps I’ll try to snag that later today and post it.

With a powertrain warranty that is supposedly good until August of 2023 I figure I’ve got plenty of time to just enjoy the nearly-unsafe power the car has rather than worry about how far I can go. I commute about 50 miles one way for work but we have a charger there to get most of that back. I don’t often do longer trips that need supercharging but have done a few. So far it hasn’t been a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the explanation, bud. Yes by that definition, your degradation and numbers make sense... I'm glad you have warranty for a bit, and it's meant to be a good thing, hope you get the appropriate replacements.

View attachment 551238
I went digging to try to find out what version that is and couldn’t easily find it. I know I’ve seen the part numbers before but I’m currently away from home and on mobile. I’ll be able to try searching again once I’m home on a real PC but if anyone knows in the meantime by all means please chime in.

So from my days of researching 90kw battery versions, you seem to have v1 as indicated by the first 3 numbers on your part number... "106." If I recall correctly, 107 = v2 and 108 = v3.

Not to make you paranoid, but this is just from reading on this board and others, supposedly v1 was the worst 90kw battery to have with a lot of degradation. V2 got better, but apparently v3 is considered the coveted battery version to have. Additionally, since you have a P90DL (congratulations!), supposedly v1 and 2 batteries didn't have the accompanying coils or fuse (one or the other) to truly generate the advertised power Tesla claimed for the cars. V3 batteries are supposedly the only true Ludicrous mode compliant battery that lives up to the advertised numbers...

Please take this with a grain of salt... I don't claim to be an expert on the matter at all! :)

I do agree that these batteries, and the V1s in particular, are some of the worst out there. I got the chance to super charge yesterday and looks like they've got me locked at 70kW max. (I pulled in with roughly 20%)

I do remember seeing some thread about the v3 being the only one actually capable of outputting the power promised on a P90, and hope that when the time comes I end up with a v3. Would be nice if they didn't have any 90s by then and had to give me a 100 but no way I hold my breath on that. More likely that they end up with a healthy stockpile of 90s due to ramped-up rebuilds.

Not sure if mine will count in this statistics, as I have 85kW, but after switching off all online function (which for me does not work anyway - salvage car), daily loss now is about 2km/24h. Before switching off online function, it was something like 5km/24h (or more).
Checked now, and after charging (almost) to full 2 days ago, I lost so far 4 km. Not bad I would say :)
All depends however on the ambient conditions. When it is getting cold, "vampire" drain is much faster. Now weather is favoreable for my Tesla :)

I have however a different problem: vampire drain during trip. Noticed that this is more visible when is getting colder (at night), while during day it looks more OK. Yet starting AC, again vampire drain is visible.
Not sure, if this is OK or not - I thought that when driving everything is counted: heating battery, used energy by motors, AC (by recharging 12V battery) and much more. And I think it is, but underestimated.

Example:
Fully charged battery (usable capacity 77.6kW)
No stops, just continuous drive.
Estimated range 398km @ 195W/km (this is rated range in my P85D) - original had 407km, and sometimes I can yet charge to 400km, so lost is about 2%
After riding about 348km, average usage is 174W/km, what give consumption of 60.4kWh (according to "since last charge" section on Trip menu (during winter, I can hardyly get below 200W/km)
However remaining power is for 69km @ 195w/km give me remaining 13.5kW
Difference is 3.7kW.

Not much we could say, but why it was not counted? Where it disappeared?