Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90d w/ range upgrade questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. is the car really a P85D added 5kw or a 90 plus 5kw

2. any idea of range because they are showing 20 miles less than p85d via cpo site

3. every p90d shows no Tech package . so do they have this as a standard then?

Vin is over 100k but not refreshed nose

I have one of those P90D w/ Range Upgrade (VIN 10xxxx) you speak of. And yes, it is/was confusing, the way they label it. Mine was an inventory car that had been in inventory for 9 months. So, by the time I bought it, there was no x85x anymore. The way the Owner Advisor explained it to me at the time was this: At that time the Model S x85x was the actual legal model package, and you could upgrade it to a x90x for a fee, but they weren't two separate model packages at that time. My insurance guy had the same issue.. When he put in my year and VIN, the x90x wasn't an option. The largest thing he had to choose from was the x85x. When they stopped selling the x85x, that's when the x90x became the actual legal model package.

From what I remember, the difference in range is due to the EPA changing how they determined range during that time period. If memory serves me right, they changed their testing procedures between when the x85x came out and when the x90x came out. The thing to remember here is that, the x90x is a larger capacity and will yield farther range with all else being equal.

The Tech Package option name was removed in the Spring of 2015 when they restructured their package options.

I have one of those P90D w/ Range Upgrade (VIN 10xxxx) you speak of. And yes, it is/was confusing, the way they label it. Mine was an inventory car that had been in inventory for 9 months. So, by the time I bought it, there was no x85x anymore. The way the Owner Advisor explained it to me at the time was this: At that time the Model S x85x was the actual legal model package, and you could upgrade it to a x90x for a fee, but they weren't two separate model packages at that time. My insurance guy had the same issue.. When he put in my year and VIN, the x90x wasn't an option. The largest thing he had to choose from was the x85x. When they stopped selling the x85x, that's when the x90x became the actual legal model package.

From what I remember, the difference in range is due to the EPA changing how they determined range during that time period. If memory serves me right, they changed their testing procedures between when the x85x came out and when the x90x came out. The thing to remember here is that, the x90x is a larger capacity and will yield farther range with all else being equal.

The Tech Package option name was removed in the Spring of 2015 when they restructured their package options.
Slight correction. It was a separate model at least with Tesla, my insurance and DMV back in 9/2015. The 90 kWh battery was a new battery with new battery chemistry and not just a EPA testing change.

I read the p90d charge faster too

So for 6500 over a p85d
I get premium interior and light
2015 model
Slight more power
Battery battery
And midnight silver vs black

Since it says range upgrade. I am assuming it's a p85d moved to a p90d. I also assume the battery in both are the same.

Not bad

Slight correction. It was a separate model at least with Tesla, my insurance and DMV back in 9/2015. The 90 kWh battery was a new battery with new battery chemistry and not just a EPA testing change.
Hi @msnow
Sure, I wasn't saying the designation was strictly a rating thing. The x90x was definitely a physically new, higher capacity battery. But the question the OP was asking, was why they showed the P85D had more range than the P90D. This was due to some EPA testing standards that changed. It can be confusing because logic would state that the P90D would have more range; and, all things being equal, it most definitely does. But, because the EPA changed their testing standards, at one point they gave the P90D a lower rated range than the P85D. I can't find those original numbers right now.
That's why I mentioned that "The thing to remember here is that, the x90x is a larger capacity and will yield farther range with all else being equal.". :D

All that said, I really don't put much weight to the rated ranges. For example, the same car in Europe is rated over 300 miles per NEDC testing standards. :rolleyes:

@JohnnyG or @msnow

Is the range upgrade and the actual P90d the same battery in both cars? or is the p85d(range upgrade) sub par
It's the same but as time went by Tesla made improvements. So, for example, those of us that had the original "gen 1" 90D had less rated range than the gen 2's and 3's. You can tell which battery pack you have by turning your steering wheel all the way to the left and looking under the front right wheel well. Look for the "battery part number" on the sticker.

• Informative
Reactions: Indpowr
@JohnnyG or @msnow

Is the range upgrade and the actual P90d the same battery in both cars? or is the p85d(range upgrade) sub par
The P85D Range Upgrade and the P90D is, in all intents and purposes, the same battery.
model-s-range-upgrade.jpg

That being said, I believe there were 3 different revisions of the 90kWh battery pack. I think the difference from the first revision to the second was the better cooling and ability to supercharge faster. The difference from the second revision to the third was increased performance.

Reactions: Indpowr