Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D - What battery versions should I avoid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking here for a while and thankful for all the great information shared by everyone! :)

I'm looking to buy a P85D or P90D and all the posts about the P90D battery with charging and performance limitations make me very weary about even considering a P90D as I feel like I can't justify paying much of a premium over a P85D other than for Ludicrous mode.

Could someone please explain the battery revisions for the P90D and which battery revisions are considered safe/fine from a charging and battery perspective? Are the later P90D battery revisions rock solid? I'm almost leaning towards just looking for a P85D or if I decide for more performance then wait another year and then look for a P100D instead.

I've been lurking here for a while and thankful for all the great information shared by everyone! :)

I'm looking to buy a P85D or P90D and all the posts about the P90D battery with charging and performance limitations make me very weary about even considering a P90D as I feel like I can't justify paying much of a premium over a P85D other than for Ludicrous mode.

Could someone please explain the battery revisions for the P90D and which battery revisions are considered safe/fine from a charging and battery perspective? Are the later P90D battery revisions rock solid? I'm almost leaning towards just looking for a P85D or if I decide for more performance then wait another year and then look for a P100D instead.

I have a P90DL with a V1 battery. It is mind boggling fast -- I almost never floor it in ordinary driving. The V2 and V3 batteries will give you an extra 0.1 or 0.2 0-60 from the reports I have seen.

Charging issues with the P90DL are fairly minor IMO. They affect a small number of people who do a LOT of DC Charging (CHAdeMO) or have fairly extreme use of Supercharging. And for the small number of people affected, it adds a few minutes to Supercharging time. You can learn more from this thread -- If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging -- but it is very long with so you might want to skip to the last page or two for the punchline.

If you want maximum performance V2 or V3 are your best bets. I am very happy with my V1.

You could always get a P85D with Ludicrous now, save a few bucks and not have to worry as much about battery degradation. If you're lucky you may even find one with the + suspension

Happy Hunting

Thanks for the advice! While I would like to have Ludicrous, I want to avoid the "plus suspension" as I prefer the current air suspension of the performance models that is smoother and more comfortable. Also I definitely want to avoid staggered 21" wheels as they will get destroyed on our horrible streets.

After all the info and reading I have done over the years I would personally stay clear of the 90 battery altogether. Quicker than normal degradation is the most concerning issue. The old 85 seems to hold up very well. It seems the 100 pack is the best so far.

That's what I'm leaning towards now. Basically I have a hard time justifying any premium whatsoever over a P85D as I'm concerned with battery issues of the 90 pack and from what I have gathered I should definitely avoid the V1 and V2 battery packs. Is there a version of the 90 pack that is considered rock slid though from a performance, charging, and deterioration perspective?

I have a P90DL with a V1 battery. It is mind boggling fast -- I almost never floor it in ordinary driving. The V2 and V3 batteries will give you an extra 0.1 or 0.2 0-60 from the reports I have seen.

Charging issues with the P90DL are fairly minor IMO. They affect a small number of people who do a LOT of DC Charging (CHAdeMO) or have fairly extreme use of Supercharging. And for the small number of people affected, it adds a few minutes to Supercharging time. You can learn more from this thread -- If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging -- but it is very long with so you might want to skip to the last page or two for the punchline.

If you want maximum performance V2 or V3 are your best bets. I am very happy with my V1.
I second all of this.

Would i rather have a v3 battery? Sure. Would I trade my 2015 V1 p90d and about $10,000 (the price gap these days between V1 and V3 cars) in order to get it? No chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.