Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of the 1642 days that I've owned my P85DL, I've done WOT acceleration an average of 6 times a day so I think that's several times the 2500 limit :rolleyes:

So the "Battery Needs Service. Avoid Hard Acceleration" message I got 3 weeks ago turns out to be BMS Error 159 WOT Cycles Exceeded.

The fix is they want to upgrade me from V8 to V10. My power, range, and charging speed are all still good.

What did others who've had this error have done to correct it in the past? Battery replacement or not?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
So the "Battery Needs Service. Avoid Hard Acceleration" message I got 3 weeks ago turns out to be BMS Error 159 WOT Cycles Exceeded.

The fix is they want to upgrade me from V8 to V10. My power, range, and charging speed are all still good.

What did others who've had this error have done to correct it in the past? Battery replacement or not?

How did you find out the meaning of the "idiot light"?

Didn't Tesla just remove the error message in a future software update? (After a lot of uproar over the WOT limits.) And they said they would just deal with things that break as needed. So maybe they are correct, and that you just have to update the software to get the message to go away.

How did you find out the meaning of the "idiot light"?

Didn't Tesla just remove the error message in a future software update? (After a lot of uproar over the WOT limits.) And they said they would just deal with things that break as needed. So maybe they are correct, and that you just have to update the software to get the message to go away.

Indeed. It could be that after they've collected enough data on high mileage Ludicrous batteries that they've decided to simply not notify on the limit any more.

Note, the counter only applies to Ludicrous if you believe earlier posts in this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Some data points to share.

Tesla replaced my V1 1063792-00-A battery on 12/14/2016 , Max charge was 246 rated miles ( was 268 at time of purchase 9/2015 )
with a V3 battery 1088792-00-A Max charge 270 rated miles ( car had 24k miles at the time )

On 10/03/2018 Max charge 260 rated miles ( loss of 10 rated miles after ~ 2 years )
On 3/25/2019 Max charge 258 rated miles
On 12/5/2019 Max charge 258 rated miles ( car has 60k miles on it right now 12/16/2019 )

In summary:
The V1 battery had a loss of 8.2% in one year and 24k miles.
The V3 battery has had a loss of 3.7% after 3 years and 36k miles.

Some data points to share.

Tesla replaced my V1 1063792-00-A battery on 12/14/2016 , Max charge was 246 rated miles ( was 268 at time of purchase 9/2015 )
with a V3 battery 1088792-00-A Max charge 270 rated miles ( car had 24k miles at the time )

On 10/03/2018 Max charge 260 rated miles ( loss of 10 rated miles after ~ 2 years )
On 3/25/2019 Max charge 258 rated miles
On 12/5/2019 Max charge 258 rated miles ( car has 60k miles on it right now 12/16/2019 )

In summary:
The V1 battery had a loss of 8.2% in one year and 24k miles.
The V3 battery has had a loss of 3.7% after 3 years and 36k miles.
can you share the cost of this battery replacement?

Can you share your battery issue? What did you experience and how did service determine this can be fixed under the warranty? Thanks in advance.
I went through an entire year of service visits and emails with Tesla service. I was VERY upset that I paid $3k for the 90kw upgrade which for my car was an increase from 250 rated miles to 268 rated miles, and after a year it was gone. I finally gave up dealing directly with Tesla and went to California dispute settlement program. They accepted my claim and shortly thereafter Tesla agreed to replace my V1 battery with a V3. So the silver lining for me was that since it took a year, the V3 battery was available. Which should be the battery every 90 model S has installed. Most especially for anyone with ludicrous mode. It is the only 90kw battery that hit the sub 11 second quarter mile time.
I am aware of a lot of people trying to reason with Tesla regarding their poor performing 90kw batteries. In my case Tesla related that my battery loss was an edge case... I didn't even sign an NDA. They never agreed that my battery was at fault. They made it a goodwill replacement.

I noticed this thread hasnt been commented upon in a few months. I had to get my P90DL battery replaced 1 week after I purchased it. It had a range of 190 at that time. They replaced it with the 1069582-01-E REMAN battery. My range has been 240 since then without much variation at all after 6 months. After reading this thread I see this battery is not preferred at all. I bought used from Tesla with the advertised range of 270 miles, as everyone here knows. I know 240 range is a 12% degrade over new and is within "limits." I was more upset to see the limit in power available in this pack being 430kw . With this being said, has anyone here experienced the issue getting fixed via updates? Should I pursue Tesla in trying to get a V3 battery? Apologies if this was addressed, I read through many pages and didnt notice anyone experiencing updated power with this pack.

I noticed this thread hasnt been commented upon in a few months. I had to get my P90DL battery replaced 1 week after I purchased it. It had a range of 190 at that time. They replaced it with the 1069582-01-E REMAN battery. My range has been 240 since then without much variation at all after 6 months. After reading this thread I see this battery is not preferred at all. I bought used from Tesla with the advertised range of 270 miles, as everyone here knows. I know 240 range is a 12% degrade over new and is within "limits." I was more upset to see the limit in power available in this pack being 430kw . With this being said, has anyone here experienced the issue getting fixed via updates? Should I pursue Tesla in trying to get a V3 battery? Apologies if this was addressed, I read through many pages and didnt notice anyone experiencing updated power with this pack.

Do you know what version battery you had before it was replaced? And how much power you got out of it? You could argue that you should have that level of performance. I had I think about 480 kW peak from the v2 battery on my car, back in 2018.

there may be another thread for this but i'll ask here. I have a april build 2017 90D ( not a P) , I think it is V3 if I am reading it right, its a lease and i'm thinking about buying ,it is essentially a new Car if I do the MCU2, HDW 3 change ( which I am thinking of doing) save the 90 Kw battery. is there any way to know how good the battery is / longevity etc. it would help me decide if I should just turn it in or not. A full charge still show the same miles when I got it so it seems to have not really lost any capacity but like anyone with an iPhone It is how fast it drops from there. I have noticed that I can't seem to go as many days percentage wise before it drop to time for recharging.

Do you know what version battery you had before it was replaced? And how much power you got out of it? You could argue that you should have that level of performance. I had I think about 480 kW peak from the v2 battery on my car, back in 2018.
I dont. I bought it and went from San Diego to Sodona, AZ. It was a terrible experience as A/C went out, 100 degrees outside, 180 miles "rated range," and max 60 kw supercharging. I will say it felt snappier but zero proof.