Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there may be another thread for this but i'll ask here. I have a april build 2017 90D ( not a P) , I think it is V3 if I am reading it right, its a lease and i'm thinking about buying ,it is essentially a new Car if I do the MCU2, HDW 3 change ( which I am thinking of doing) save the 90 Kw battery. is there any way to know how good the battery is / longevity etc. it would help me decide if I should just turn it in or not. A full charge still show the same miles when I got it so it seems to have not really lost any capacity but like anyone with an iPhone It is how fast it drops from there. I have noticed that I can't seem to go as many days percentage wise before it drop to time for recharging.

I ended up not buying my lease, even after I turned it in. The price was too high. The 90 battery isn't great it seems. The 100 battery is better for long term reliability.

If you are interested in gambling, at least back in 2018, I was able to return my lease and then search daily to see when it popped up in the inventory as a used car. My lease buyout price was $94k, which was insane. It ended up being listed at $80k and eventually sold at $71k. So, you can probably save if you return it and buy it back, if your lease price is higher than current used prices.

I have a 2014 P85D with insane+. The battery was replaced before I owned it with a 90 v3, based on the part numbers from this thread. So I guess now it’s a P90D. Given the v3 is the ludicrous pack, is it possible to upgrade my car to ludicrous mode if I took it to a SC?

I have a 2014 P85D with insane+. The battery was replaced before I owned it with a 90 v3, based on the part numbers from this thread. So I guess now it’s a P90D. Given the v3 is the ludicrous pack, is it possible to upgrade my car to ludicrous mode if I took it to a SC?

Possible? Yes and without even having to bring the car in given that it's an over the air feature switch. But I seriously doubt Tesla will sell you the upgrade. You could always ask.

Possible? Yes and without even having to bring the car in given that it's an over the air feature switch. But I seriously doubt Tesla will sell you the upgrade. You could always ask.
Well, I asked my local SC and they just said if the upgrade was available it would show up in my app. I probably wouldn't buy it for $10k anyways, but it does oddly bother me driving around with the underlined Ludicrous P90D badge and I don't have Ludicrous :(

Edit: After further prodding of the SC, they simply said Tesla no longer performs Ludicrous upgrades on any 85 or 90kwh batteries.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SM '15 P90D
Right, as I initially said it requires other retrofits. That's why no one believes that Tesla will do replacements with 100kWh packs.

It doesn't ACTUALLY require other retrofits, just Tesla requires them to be done to keep the car within a supported configuration/crash tested spec/etc.

Reactions: Tech_Guy
I was very lucky when mine was done as some more experienced techs from the factory did the upgrade…. Was done in 24 hours, In contrast I know someone else that did the upgrade 90>100 and it took the normal service center staff over a week to get it back to them. What I gather from that is, It’s definitely not easy if you don’t know what needs to be switched both in software and hardware to make the car happy again. I’d imagine the long time was messages back and forth trying to figure out all the bits… this is also likely why they stopped doing the upgrade.

I’d also like to point out the upgraded cars had to be produced between June and September of 2016 to be eligible it’s a very small window of cars that have almost the same configuration as a p100d thus the switch was doable by Tesla and have it still meet all the safety regulations. I was specifically told the seats and other parts were swapped so that the car matched the p100d in terms of crash safety components due to extra weight etc

• Informative
Reactions: mrj25 and MP3Mike
Sorry to revive the thread a bit, I currently have a 2016 P90DL nosecone version with V2 battery. About 120k miles on it. Max 100% charge is sitting at 225miles shown. Noticed some odd behavior when running the car down in order to charge back to maximum. When I ran it down to 7%, I let the car sit and go to sleep for 1 hour, when I returned, the car was showing 1%, very odd. Bringing the car in to Tesla for MCU and CCS upgrade. I brought this issue up to them and they kind of brushed it off. Any advice on getting them to really do a real diagnostic on my battery? And possibly getting a V3 (or better) replacement?

Sorry to revive the thread a bit, I currently have a 2016 P90DL nosecone version with V2 battery. About 120k miles on it. Max 100% charge is sitting at 225miles shown. Noticed some odd behavior when running the car down in order to charge back to maximum. When I ran it down to 7%, I let the car sit and go to sleep for 1 hour, when I returned, the car was showing 1%, very odd. Bringing the car in to Tesla for MCU and CCS upgrade. I brought this issue up to them and they kind of brushed it off. Any advice on getting them to really do a real diagnostic on my battery? And possibly getting a V3 (or better) replacement?

Beat on it until it fails? Lots of launches. :)

Reactions: bhzmark