Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90DL Handling Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Most notably at highway speeds, when the car goes over a bump or imperfection in the road, the car feels "loose". Even more so if it's in a turn. Imagine a car without anti sway bars and it's that kind of feeling. Your head and body moves left and right as the suspension settles. Don't know of another way to describe. it's been at the SC twice and both times they recognize the problem. First time they played with bushings and blamed it on my 21" turbines being powder coated so they sanded the insides. Shockingly, this did nothing. 2nd time, they replaced the rear shocks and performed some "adjustments". It seems maybe a little better but still not there. It literally makes me nauseous on longer drives! Lowering the suspension to lowest setting helps but probably because there is less travel in suspension so it seems firmer. Added bonus, the car now pulls strongly to the right but service records do not show any work performed to front of car. I have an appointment next week to bring it back but any suggestions? TIA

I have a P90DL as well. I'm sensitive to ride, vibrations, noises, in general. I drove mine home 2,000 plus miles - no issues besides alignment...and well, unrelated, a/c noise. Something definitely sounds wrong. I come from a sports car background and would constantly change settings, in search of perfection.

I would start with the simple things. Verify tire pressures. Then alignment. Are tires good, brand? Mismatched tires possibly? Maybe even bad tires, like manufacturing defect. Even tire wear? Check the insides, tires might look good, but inners can wear out faster. So I've heard, haven't had mine long enough to tell from personal experience.

After that, it gets tricky. Suspension, worn items, etc. If Tesla can't help....may need to take it to a real suspension shop and have them check for anything bent. Although you said it hasn't been in an accident, doesn't mean the suspension hasn't taken a beating, hit a large pot hole, bent something, etc.

Hopefully it's something simple.

I have a P90DL as well. I'm sensitive to ride, vibrations, noises, in general. I drove mine home 2,000 plus miles - no issues besides alignment...and well, unrelated, a/c noise. Something definitely sounds wrong. I come from a sports car background and would constantly change settings, in search of perfection.

I would start with the simple things. Verify tire pressures. Then alignment. Are tires good, brand? Mismatched tires possibly? Maybe even bad tires, like manufacturing defect. Even tire wear? Check the insides, tires might look good, but inners can wear out faster. So I've heard, haven't had mine long enough to tell from personal experience.

After that, it gets tricky. Suspension, worn items, etc. If Tesla can't help....may need to take it to a real suspension shop and have them check for anything bent. Although you said it hasn't been in an accident, doesn't mean the suspension hasn't taken a beating, hit a large pot hole, bent something, etc.

Hopefully it's something simple.
Thank you. All the "simple stuff" has been checked and re-checked so it's not that. Tires are good. Car is still under warranty so hate to take it elsewhere and pay for it. Right now I'm leaning on making them replace the front suspension as well, align it and take it from there.