Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90DL kills 700+ hp Ford GT.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know that I'd say the P90DL "killed" the GT, after all, the GT did win the race...

Nothing beats the P90DL off the line, but many cars have a higher top speed and will catch it eventually.

I suppose it all depends on what the race is. The GT has a higher top speed so it will eventually pass the P90DL. So I'd say it killed the GT up to 150 MPH. Does it really matter after that? Does it really matter after 100 MPH on the street? Since it was a drag race, it's safe to say it killed the GT in the 1/4 mile by a VERY WIDE margin.

And why is it limited to 155mph? I haven't ever read why.

Gearing. Only a single gear and 16000 RPM DU limit. If the Tesla had a second gear it could go much faster but up to 100 MPH, the DU is nearly 100% efficient so it isn't necessary for normal US driving and cruising speeds. Even at at faster speeds like on the autobahn, a second gear would only help for a few minutes as the battery and DU would overheat and pull back power.

Thank you, Sorka! Keep them coming, if possible. Does anyone know if the P90DL has ever been beaten off the line in a street legal vehicle? I am under the impression that in drag racing, the first 12 inches of the drag race are not included, all to the detriment of the Tesla.

One of my favorite things about Model S is that its power is usable (bordering on practical). Sure, they run out of steam after achieving about 100mph and are eventually overtaken, but how often does that actually happen from day to day? I mean, the Bugatti Veyron had an incredible top-end, but there were only a couple places on the planet where you could actually achieve those figures. With Model S, you can use it almost anywhere.

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome a "Maximum Plaid" version with a 2-stage gearbox and beefed up powertrain cooling. :love:

7 seconds before the GT is going the same speed. 18 seconds before the GT passes the P90DL at an estimated 160 MPH (takes 16.9 seconds for GT to hit 150 MPH).

Most informative video ever on this topic (that I have seen). Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Gearing. Only a single gear and 16000 RPM DU limit. If the Tesla had a second gear it could go much faster but up to 100 MPH, the DU is nearly 100% efficient so it isn't necessary for normal US driving and cruising speeds. Even at at faster speeds like on the autobahn, a second gear would only help for a few minutes as the battery and DU would overheat and pull back power.

This.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite things about Model S is that its power is usable (bordering on practical). Sure, they run out of steam after achieving about 100mph and are eventually overtaken, but how often does that actually happen from day to day? I mean, the Bugatti Veyron had an incredible top-end, but there were only a couple places on the planet where you could actually achieve those figures. With Model S, you can use it almost anywhere.

I agree, the Model S in general is really good about using all that power without any skills necessary from the driver. And even sports cars with sophisticated launch control can hardly keep up.

Thank you, Sorka! Keep them coming, if possible. Does anyone know if the P90DL has ever been beaten off the line in a street legal vehicle? I am under the impression that in drag racing, the first 12 inches of the drag race are not included, all to the detriment of the Tesla.

I've done ~3.0s 0-60 at 51% SOC, but at like 10% it'd probably have a big impact and some cars might be able to.

On a somewhat related note, I accidentally tried Sport mode for the first time a couple weeks ago... it sucks. I think Fred Flintstone would have beaten me.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Mayhemm viewpost-right.png

Even more than that, I just watched Top Gear's test drive of the Bugatti in season 9, and they mentioned it only had 15 miles of tires and 12 miles of gas. That's completely impractical.

I agree, the Model S in general is really good about using all that power without any skills necessary from the driver. And even sports cars with sophisticated launch control can hardly keep up.

Ample safety skills are definitely required. But I get your point.

Last edited: