Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90DL kills 700+ hp Ford GT.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there a are few cars within reason..

Porsche 911 Turbo S (2.7)
Nissan GT-R (2.8)
McLaren 650S (2.8)
Lamborghini Huracan (2.8)

Thank you, Sorka! Keep them coming, if possible. Does anyone know if the P90DL has ever been beaten off the line in a street legal vehicle? I am under the impression that in drag racing, the first 12 inches of the drag race are not included, all to the detriment of the Tesla.

I don't know that I'd say the P90DL "killed" the GT, after all, the GT did win the race...

Nothing beats the P90DL off the line, but many cars have a higher top speed and will catch it eventually.
I wouldn't say nothing beats the P90DL off the line. There are quite a few street cars that wil absolutely kill the P90DL off the line, but they are not factory stock vehicles. As far as factory stock vehicles go, there are not many because most are RWD. RWD supercars don't do well when it comes to launching out of the hole quick.

qwk,
Per Fiks, the McLaren will do the job and it is only driving two wheels. The rest on his list, of course, are AWD.
You are right. I guess my point was that cars like the Ford GT have the power to beat any Tesla, but traction with stock tires and a stock suspension, is not very good on the street. To be completely fair, there are tons of street legal RWD cars that get a sixty foot time on drag radials in the 1.4 range. The P90DL is in the 1.6X range. That is a huge difference. Tesla has made a very impressive performance achievement with the Ludicrous cars, but some of the posts here seem to imply that few ICE cars can beat them. It's going to be quite a while before Tesla can get a battery that can sustain the discharge(while keeping a decent warranty), to support the power needed to overcome decently built ICE cars. A very fine example is the 10.9 1/4 time fiasco with the P90 DL cars. 10.9 is just not that great for an ICE street car in this day and age.

Yeah, the GT struggled mightily with the launch. How much of that was the driver, this particular run, or the modifications that make this a 700 hp car? Those are all good questions.

A better question is why in the hell were they racing on the street?

I wish the P90DL was a 10.9 second car. The only one that says they have achieved that, apart from Tesla, is MotorTrend. I would not be surprised if the speculation is accurate and MotorTrend was getting reliable 11.4s at altitude and high ambient temperatures then ICE adjusting them to 10.9.

tuned, modded cars don't count.... stock for stock is the real comparison to do....

- - - Updated - - -

those days are over, I have had 3 GT-Rs, you can launch them over and over now, stock they will be close to 100 MPH, then run away from the Tesla....

GT-R with ECU upgrades and some other minor parts in launch control. However there's probably a 50/50 chance its transmission will shatter while trying to beat the P90DL.

no, that was years ago, for a very short time period of about 3 months when the first 2009's were on the streets.... my friend actually was the class rep against Nissan for not covering his transmission repair after using launch control ALOT, then Nissan after settling, revised the launch system via an ECU update and fully supported it from then on...

Do they still void your warranty when you use launch control?