Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90DL - Squealing from wheels at low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I've struggled to diagnose and fix this for years now. I've just had another attempt at fixing it with Tesla but with no luck.

I have a squeal/squeak which is linked to wheel speed.
It might be more present when cornering
It does not seem affected by braking
It seems to go away above 30mph (although could be other noises masking it)

This week I drove 60 miles to a service centre and by the time I got there, we couldn't hear it but it was noisy on site.

I hear it virtually every day driving back onto my drive / garage, as shown here

I paid Tesla for a brake strip and clean, which did free up a slightly sticky rear calliper.
Did not solve the problem

Other guesses
- warped brake discs
- faulty wheel bearings
- dirty surface on wheel bearing (between mounting point and alloy wheel - I swap my wheels quite a bit - could a dirty contact surface be creating noise)
- suspension issues?
- something else?

I did ask Tesla to inspect my suspension due to age and they think there is play in some of the components (but did not suggest it would be noisy or urgent).
They've suggested replacing the
front lower fore links
drop link(s) sway bar
sway bar
I did see a service bulletin (SB-17-31-001) suggesting vehicles similar to my age (2015 sep) of approx 2016 onwards can be affected by this.

My primary goal is to figure out this squealing. Car drives perfectly with no issues, no other noises, no vibrations, no bad creaking or anything like that. Just this as low speeds.

(Does not seem to go under heavy braking)

Just looking for some opinions or experience on where to focus my efforts so I dont throw money away trying to solve this. Unfortunately my recent trip to Tesla after 60 miles, they couldn't hear it. If it was a dirty mounting surface, maybe heat expansion played a part there. Clutching at straws here. Frustrating.

Thanks