Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA Model Y Stealth Performance - Picked up 6/29

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0D08D516-B92F-45A1-B62F-12AC719D95AD.jpeg

I took delivery of a MY stealth performance in PA earlier today. Happily there were no significant paint issues but some minor trim imperfections need to be addressed by the SC. Overall, I am happy given all the horror stories circulating in these forums. The Devon, PA SC had a COVID-related delivery process that was efficient, safe, and customer-friendly.

I am coming from the Model 3 dual motor non-performance, which I only had for about 3 months. Why did I trade-in? The low seating made it difficult getting in and out of the car. More importantly, the rear seat headroom wasn’t sufficient to fit my 6’3” son comfortably. Also, since our other car is a lease, this will be both my work vehicle and longer trip workhorse, and I need more cargo space for luggage.

I took delivery and immediately embarked on a > 400 mile work-related road trip. My impressions are as follows: 1.). The higher seat height made it much easier getting in and out of the vehicle. I came from a Nissan Pathfinder and the ride height is similar, 2.). The ride is much smoother (on the stock 19” Gemini’s) than the Model 3 (stock Aero’s). The additional ride height seems to make a difference without adding significant body roll, 3.). Although I am not an aggressive driver, the efficiency is FANTASTIC!!! I drove mostly on highways, but managed to get 259 Wh/mi with average speeds between 60-75 mi/hr. I would average around 200 Wh/mi in the Model 3. Going faster than 70-75 mi/hr seems to hit the efficiency much more than driving slower than that, 4.). I can’t necessarily say it was a quieter ride, but I never minded road noise in the Model 3 either, 5.). I’ve yet to try stuffing my boy into the back seat, but it “appears” to be much roomier, and finally, 6.). This car is FAST. I found myself doing rapid accelerations without trying to. Going 50 mi/hr feels like 30. The car just wants to GO!!!

I’m incredibly happy (less than 12 hours into ownership, mind you) with my decision to move onto the Model Y Performance. I did see both the Uberturbines and Induction Wheels on other vehicles, but don’t personally feel the 21’s are worth the hassle of having to buy another set of wheels for winter driving. They are slick looking, I must admit. The 19’s are all-weather tires and will be much cheaper to replace in the future. Range is more important to me at this point, although I must admit the Gemini’s are pretty friggin’ ugly. I may decide to take the plastic rims/caps off.

Anyway, thanks for reading and hopefully you all are happy with your new Model Y’s!!!

Attachments

• 3461131F-5A17-4BCC-AD76-25E6BBF43368.jpeg
    3461131F-5A17-4BCC-AD76-25E6BBF43368.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for sharing. Wind resistance goes up exponentially with speed.
No. Wind resistance, better known as drag, goes up with the square of the speed relative to the air, aka true airspeed in aeronautical engineering parlance. Power required (energy per unit time, typically watts or horsepower) goes up as the cube of true airspeed. Nothing in the force or power or energy consumption of a car is exponential with speed.

You’re welcome. :cool:

No. Wind resistance, better known as drag, goes up with the square of the speed relative to the air, aka true airspeed in aeronautical engineering parlance. Power required (energy per unit time, typically watts or horsepower) goes up as the cube of true airspeed. Nothing in the force or power or energy consumption of a car is exponential with speed.

You’re welcome. :cool:

2 can be an exponent? ;-)

2 can be an exponent? ;-)

Yes, but x^2 isn't an exponential growth, 2^x is.

Force needed to push the wind goes up as a square of speed, but the needed power per mile (the famous wh/mi we often discuss) is close to linear. It'll take 20% more energy to drive 20% faster for a given distance. Yes, you'll need 41% more power, but you will run the car for less time.

Reactions: mycroftxxx