Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA non-Tesla owner, got my config invite. But I'll wait.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I got my reservation in the first 10 minutes on 3/31. I had my Tesla account set for a base model 3, but after Tesla got so greedy that they wanted to ignore the loyal customers who stood in line first, and only build high profit cars, I changed my 3 specs to the fancy optioned car that Tesla is pushing on us now, to satisfy their corporate greed.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know the argument, they need high profit margin cars to make money, etc. Whatever.

For the past week I've been considering getting a CPO S 60 to have a Tesla now instead of waiting another year. I found one and am close to hitting the BUY button on its page.

This morning I checked my email and I had my 3 config invite. I checked out all the pages of it and prices. To link to your config page (this may or may not work), the URL is htps://3.tesla.com/model3design/RN000000000#landing

Replace "RN000000000" with your order reservation number. Pnd put a second "t" after the "ht" at the start of the URL. I had to change the URL by deleting the second "t" in "https" to keep it all showing. And different config site pages have the ending changed, such as #landing , #paint , #battery , #interior , #autopilot , #payment . See if you can hack into your own account pages if you don't have your invite yet.

So anyway, I think I'm going to buy an S 60, and let my 3 invite just sit. There's a Hold My Place button for that. When Tesla gets ready to build me a base model 3, than I will order one, and trade the S in on it when it is delivered. It's just as well that I wait, I'd prefer to let other people have all the new car problems, so that tings are sorted out by the time mine is ordered and built.

Last edited:
10 minute time limit to edit expired on me. The URL to use is htps://3.tesla.com/model3/design/RN000000000#landing .

Add a second t to "htps" and change the RN number to your RN reservation number. I had to "break" the URL here to keep it all showing.

I haven't received my invite yet, but I would be reluctant to buy their $49K model. I just don't need the LR battery and it's not worth the $9K to me. And by the time you add paint, AP, destination, and taxes you are well over $60K for a car that was billed two years ago as a $35K affordable EV car. It's just not the same car that was promised to us.

I haven't received my invite yet, but I would be reluctant to buy their $49K model. I just don't need the LR battery and it's not worth the $9K to me. And by the time you add paint, AP, destination, and taxes you are well over $60K for a car that was billed two years ago as a $35K affordable EV car. It's just not the same car that was promised to us.

Yep, this is why I'm not ordering until I can get the $35,000 car Elon spoke of. I don't need the fancy interior crap, and I'm not paying $9000 for the big battery when about $7000 of it is PURE PROFIT for Tesla.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and dm33
I’ve been waiting for the model 3 since 2013. I thought I’d get a base model 3 this year but the estimate is now early 2019, same as new reservations and I don’t believe it anyway.
Tomorrow I’m planning to buy a new ICE. Just a few weeks ago I couldn’t have imagined it. Figure I’ll keep it a few years. Maybe the 35k model 3 will be out by then. I’ll miss the tax rebate in any case. Maybe I’ll pick up a used one or something.
The model 3 has turned into a cheaper premium car but far from the “affordable” car Elon always touted.

It all comes down to the question of whether are you going to buy the model 3 at all. And I'm for one is still torn by that question. Because if cost is the factor, it may not be wise to wait. If you buy now, the tax credit will offset almost completely the cost of the LR battery. The only thing you're forcing to buy is the PUP. If you wait till SR available, the tax credit will be gone. So, you won't save much and your battery has less range. For example, if I buy now, it'll cost me at least $49k. With 10k in tax credit (I'm in CA), it'd come down to $39k. That's with premium and LR. If I wait till SR, it'd cost me $35k, but it'll be a piece of crap inside (what luxury car has text tile seat?). I know. $49k is far from $35k which was what we planned for it to cost. And that's what eating me inside. To buy or not to buy

I understand what you guys are saying. That said I am a PA non-tesla owner who got to configure last week and I will take the fully loaded option. I know Tesla will receive most of it as profit but I am inpatient, and Tesla is a good company. I view it as a donation.

FYI- I bought it while on vacation in person in London but before the Pittsburgh store opened.(thank you time zones) So I assume I am #1 in Pittsburgh.

I can't justify spending $9,750 (LR + sales tax) to save $7,500 on an option I would rarely, if ever use. It doesn't make financial sense in my particular case. This is being discussed on this thread right now.

I was thinking about getting the SR version with PuP but the tax credit will halve by late 2018. Since you're losing $3750 from the tax credit regardless and getting the full $7500 credit, you you are effectively paying $5250 for the LR instead of $9k. I did the math, but someone else does it further down in that thread too.

I was thinking about getting the SR version with PuP but the tax credit will halve by late 2018. Since you're losing $3750 from the tax credit regardless and getting the full $7500 credit, you you are effectively paying $5250 for the LR instead of $9k. I did the math, but someone else does it further down in that thread too.
I am not going to pay $9750 (LR + tax) to save $5250 for an option I will rarely or never use. I doesn't make sense in my specific case.

I am not going to pay $9750 (LR + tax) to save $5250 for an option I will rarely or never use. I doesn't make sense in my specific case.

Fair point. I agree that a SR would work much better for me as well, but it is nice to have the extra miles/performance boost. The main reason I'm getting LR is to get my car earlier... which is definitely a little ridiculous (on paper).

Yep, this is why I'm not ordering until I can get the $35,000 car Elon spoke of. I don't need the fancy interior crap, and I'm not paying $9000 for the big battery when about $7000 of it is PURE PROFIT for Tesla.

May I ask: what business are you in?

FWIW: I have no issue with Tesla earning a profit. If you want to chide an industry go after ISPs, certain tech companies etc whose GP/ profit margins are significant.

Fair point. I agree that a SR would work much better for me as well, but it is nice to have the extra miles/performance boost. The main reason I'm getting LR is to get my car earlier... which is definitely a little ridiculous (on paper).
Totally agree with you. Sometimes it is necessary to let the heart overrule the mind. Regardless, we will both have our cars by the end of the year and we will both be happy, happy! @Marsnaut , I hope you name your car "Marsmobile" :D

I have a friend who works in sales for a major computer printer company. That replacement ink cartridge for your printer that costs you around $35/$55 has a manufacturing cost of about $1. They essentially give their printers away for about 10% profit margin just so that they can get your replacement cartridge business. BTW, the OEM cartridges that come with your printer are less than half full! Think about that the next time you purchase an ink cartridge!

To get back on topic, everybody has to make a profit one way or another. I won't be getting the LR option, not because of price, but because it doesn't work for me. Elon will more than make his profit on me with the PUP, EAP, color, FSD options.

Reactions: X Fan