Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA Rebate Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bad news...found out yesterday while applying for my PA rebate that the MS no longer qualifies. PA Rebates now only apply to cars under $50k and you must meet income guidelines: Alternative Fuel Vehicles
Oh wow?! I just deposited our $1750 check the other day (thank you, kind sir and fellow PA taxpaying resident for that...)

Do you suppose there is a chance of the vehicle was bought before 9/1 that you may still have a chance? (The wording doesn’t make it seem like that, unfortunately.)

TBF, I didn’t even think this rebate even existed when we bought our S in August, so I was shocked when we got the check, but I can also understand why they want to put a price cap. Maybe some lucky Model 3 owners will snag it?

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm purchasing a CPO Model S (one prior owner) for a bit under $50k and it's an unexpected cherry on top!

Going through the process of submitting the application now, and I can absolutely confirm that it's the low income portion is NOT needed when the car is registered in Allegheny, Armstrong, Bucks, Butler, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia, Washington, or Westmoreland counties. It's clear as day when filling out the application and uploading documentation.

what responsibility does Tesla have with this? We just purchased a MX and the design center still has this shown with part of the savings when we bought the car. obviously this is misleading and is a incentive to buying the car and its definitely more then 50k. now that we already signed papers and assumed this would be an extra incentive..

I was arguing with the person in charge of PA rebate program recently stating that I purchased my S90D in August and didn't have it delivered until September 9. So, there was no way for me know that the rules would change in September to exclude rebate on cars over 50K. Her argument was that since I took delivery in September, there was nothing she could do, which is just BS. She was saying that Model 3's will get the incentive but by the time people get a chance to order them, the rebate program would most likely be closed.

This does seem incredibly silly to have them make this change with virtually no warning. I could understand if they gave 90 or even 60 days’ notice that the terms and conditions will be changing, but this seems like it was just kicked out the door when they posted the new PDF on 9/1.

I wouldn’t hold Tesla responsible for this- this is squarely in PAs court. FWIW, when we went to visit the store in King of Prussia prior to a test drive and order, they were under the impression there was NO PA rebate as of April (they were under the impression the funds had run dry.) It was only after we took delivery that the paperwork for the rebate was in our folder and I confirmed with a friend who had recently bought a Volt. (His GM dealership also told him, full stop, “there is no EV rebate in PA.” It’s not like PA does a great job of promoting it.)

This does seem incredibly silly to have them make this change with virtually no warning. I could understand if they gave 90 or even 60 days’ notice that the terms and conditions will be changing, but this seems like it was just kicked out the door when they posted the new PDF on 9/1.

I wouldn’t hold Tesla responsible for this- this is squarely in PAs court. FWIW, when we went to visit the store in King of Prussia prior to a test drive and order, they were under the impression there was NO PA rebate as of April (they were under the impression the funds had run dry.) It was only after we took delivery that the paperwork for the rebate was in our folder and I confirmed with a friend who had recently bought a Volt. (His GM dealership also told him, full stop, “there is no EV rebate in PA.” It’s not like PA does a great job of promoting it.)

I think there was a brief time in a April that funds were low. This is when the rebate was reduced from $2000 to $1750.

Hey Cirrus.
i disagree. I believe Tesla is partly responsible.. i have brought this up to their corporate HQ and it has yet to be removed from the website/ design center. KOP and Devon service center also know of this. Yet a friend i know who was also looking at a Model S was told about the rebates (not that they weren't valid) They are aware that model s and x would no longer apply to this rebate yet still advertise that its an incentive to buying the vehicle.

-------------

Hey Cirrus.
i disagree. I believe Tesla is partly responsible.. i have brought this up to their corporate HQ and it has yet to be removed from the website/ design center. KOP and Devon service center also know of this. Yet a friend i know who was also looking at a Model S was told about the rebates (not that they weren't valid) They are aware that model s and x would no longer apply to this rebate yet still advertise that its an incentive to buying the vehicle.

-------------
Thx for continuing to bring awareness to this issue. Last week I chatted on the Tesla Sales website and reminded them to remove PA as a state offering rebates for model X or S. The chat person said he would raise it to the 'Incentive Team'.

It’s unfortunate that they’re still telling X and S buyers that it still exists, hopefully that will be fixed ASAP.

That said, it’s interesting- the PA site now specifically lists “Tesla Model 3” as one of their example cars for the rebate:

Rebate Amounts

Electric and Electric Hybrids

• $1,750 rebate for a Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) or Battery Electric Vehicle (EV) (battery system capacity must be equal/greater than 20 kWh).
    • Examples: Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Tesla Model 3

I think I read about another mid-Atlantic State (MD maybe?) that recently (and quietly!) dropped their EV rebate or dramatically altered it, so sadly PA is not alone.

I agree that by now, Tesla should be aware, but I still don’t hold them resposible for knowing all the details about every incentive available. Heck, this PA change seemed to have flown under the radar and caught a lot of people off guard. But they should all be on the same page by now, no excuse for that.

Disappointing to discover this. There is no way the 3 will qualify if you were late to order.
Possibly, but in the case of the PA one, funds are allocated with the intention of running out and filing them on a first-come, first-served basis, but just when you think it’s going to run dry, more funding is allocated again. Of course this can’t go on forever, but I would guess SOME folks who buy a 3 in PA MAY get lucky.

I live in Pa and wrote to my local state representative specifically about this and pointing out that this policy favored foreign manufacturers namely Nissan and Chevy which has foreign drive and battery parts. This was 2 weeks ago and asked him to champion a removal of the $50,000 limit as there will be no funds by the time the Model 3 gets here. I suggest others do the same. Here is a link
Contact Your Representative

Also, I was aware of this and have sent Tesla numerous emails to have them correct their sales web page. I did get a response telling me to write to another department not the sales department. I responded by thanking them for passing the buck. Time to tweet Elon maybe.
So 5 years ago I also was denied a permit to install Solar Panels as they would have to be mounted south facing visible from the road. Mount it in the back so it won’t be visible from the road even after an expert testified that there is not enough sun at the back of the house.
I was angry enough to leave the dam state had it not been for my near retirement age and vast business interests. Pa always seems to be behind the times.