Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA Title and Registration process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any PA 'beta testers' out there? I am not getting concrete info on the process for titling and registering the car in PA. Here's what I've figured out so far, can you shed any light on the missing pieces?

1. Since Tesla is not an in-state dealer, they do not file the title paperwork for me. I need to make an MV-1 title application along with applying for registration/tags.
2. Tesla will deliver the car to me with a Temp Registration from California. That gives me a little time to get the PA paperwork done.
3. I have no clear answer on when I will receive a Manufacturer Certificate/Statement of Origin (MCO/MSO), but this document is required to title the car in PA and I can't get it titled and registered until I receive it.
4. Since it's purchased out-of-state, PA requires a physical VIN tracing along with the title application paperwork. I do not know if physical presence of the car is necessary at the tag office, or just the VIN tracing.
5. Sales tax is not paid to Tesla, so it must be paid separately when applying for the title/registration. It's 6% unless you live in Philadelphia, and then it's 7%.

Any PA residents can confirm the above details? And can you tell me whether you received your MCO/MSO at delivery, or was it mailed to you long afterwards? Did you need to have the MS physically present when you got your tags, or just a VIN tracing?

Did you run into any trouble titling the car?

I didn't get temp tags, but I did get the "birth certificate" in the mail ahead of time. Wait til you get your car, take it in (so they can verify the VIN -- or get an etching) along with the birth certificate, and pay the taxes. Took me a few tries to get it right, but with the right info up front, it's pretty straight forward.

Any PA 'beta testers' out there? I am not getting concrete info on the process for titling and registering the car in PA. Here's what I've figured out so far, can you shed any light on the missing pieces?

5. Sales tax is not paid to Tesla, so it must be paid separately when applying for the title/registration. It's 6% unless you live in Philadelphia, and then it's 7%.

I think that Pittsburgh may have a premium also

Yes that is correct. Tesla sends you the title and bill of sale, along with a temporary CA registration. You take this to a tag and title shop, they give you a new PA registration and plate, you pay them the fees and sales tax appropriate for you home county. They can also transfer vanity plates to the new vehicle.

I never once set foot in the DMV, just the tag and title place, it was pleasantly simple.

Well, I took delivery on Tuesday and still have not received a MCO. Driving to DC next week and would really prefer having tags on my car for my first road trip.

Not to mention EV rebate. I think I'm on the bubble and if I miss the cut b/c of late MCO I am gonna be really irritated.

My wife bought a used Roadster originally titled in Maryland. Went to a AAA . The only problen we had was that Tesla being a smaller company was not listed in the Pa. DOT computer The girl doing the transfer had to find an "older" woman who knew how to fill out the old "pink" form & still remembered how to write