Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA to Bar Harbor, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenius

Apr 24, 2015
Havertown, PA
He folks, anyone following this forum a regular in Maine, somewhat near Bar Harbor? Or heck, even living there and want to offer me a place to plug in? :D

Just wondering if anybody has done a trip to Bar Harbor and what the infrastructure was like. I'll be there this summer and starting to plan out the grueling 14-15hr (with charging) drive.

I went to Bar Harbor, Maine back in November. I was there election night, in fact. I did not charge in Bar Harbor. Instead, I charged in Bangor and then returned to Bangor the next day. If you're staying more than one night, it looks like there are currently three destination chargers on the island, two in Bar Harbor.

If you drive to Bar Harbor from Bangor, be aware that it's a slow drive. You're going to be at 25 to 35mph for a fair bit of it.

Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping with my extension cord I can at least trickle charge at the house we'll be staying at in Bar Harbor. Otherwise yes it'll be Bangor and then little usage while there. Cheers!

I've stayed at houses while traveling where I only had a 120v 12A option. It works. You're not using the car for quite a few hours a day, so just keep it always charging while not in use and you'll probably have more than you need.

If possible, find a way to plug in without the extension cord. The car can by quite picky about working with extension cords. I've had success about 50% of the time when using them.

Or, to add to that, have a good quality extension cord that you test at home and then bring with you on the trip . :)

Actually I do! Not sure of the gauge but this guy is a 50' long yellow (probably the width of my thumb) cord with lighted ends. I've used it at my parents place and actually managed a 4-5 mi/hr charge rate. Plenty if it is sitting idle for a while, which I imagine it will be for a week long Bar Harbor trip.

Reactions: Drumheller
I live off RT 1 about 50 miles from Bar Harbor but for travelers coming up 95, the Brewer Supercharger is also about 50 miles from there. You could charge in Brewer and have enough charge for the trip there and back and a weekend of driving around the island without local charging. Overnight on 110 would be enough for peace of mind..
I'd recommend a visit to the Seal Cove Auto Museum and you can pick up a few miles while there.
The park service has two chargers available during business hours but not much going on for visitors right there.
B&B's with destination chargers that I've spoken with prefer not to provide charging to non-guests.

Reactions: Xenius
I live off RT 1 about 50 miles from Bar Harbor but for travelers coming up 95, the Brewer Supercharger is also about 50 miles from there. You could charge in Brewer and have enough charge for the trip there and back and a weekend of driving around the island without local charging. Overnight on 110 would be enough for peace of mind..
I'd recommend a visit to the Seal Cove Auto Museum and you can pick up a few miles while there.
The park service has two chargers available during business hours but not much going on for visitors right there.
B&B's with destination chargers that I've spoken with prefer not to provide charging to non-guests.

Thanks for the info! Was wondering about the one motel towards the southern end of the island I saw, was considering sending them a note if needed but sounds like I'd better not plan on it.

Seawall motel? Worth asking. Grand Hotel was accommodating to non-guests. It's just the small B&B owners with limited parking that have to limit (but did say they would help in a pinch).

Yup, that's the one! If we didn't already have a house rented I noticed they're quite decently priced, albeit not smack in Bar Harbor like we'll be.

Cheers!

Yup, that's the one! If we didn't already have a house rented I noticed they're quite decently priced, albeit not smack in Bar Harbor like we'll be.

Cheers!

I just booked a night there *moments* ago - will be heading up there in June to drop off, and then back a week later to pick up my daughter at camp. The pictures/notes on plugshare at Seawall show 2xTesla(100A), and 2xJ1772 I believe - so it looks like plenty of juice available. And the room rates area very reasonable....

Reactions: Xenius
I drive to ME often from CT. It is an easy trip via superchargers. Been to Bar Harbor via Brewer supercharger on the way, and actually went to Augusta (traveling through Belfast) on the way back.

I did not stay at the Seawall, but stopped by and talked to the manager who was very nice. They have motel rooms as well as multi-room "cottages" right by the water. Even if you are not staying there, I think they may let you charge - call first of course. That is a quiet part of the island, with some short hiking trails out to the coast, Bass Head Light, and Bass Harbor.

Bar Harbor is only about 50 miles from Brewer, so no issue with just using Brewer. But if you are staying overnight, a L2 charger would let you skip Brewer entirely - Augusta is only 110 to 130 miles away (depending whether you go interstate or coastal route).

• Informative
Reactions: David29
@Half Dollar Bill , through my planning with the better half today I happened to notice a checkin from you on plugshare in Bar Harbor just recently. How'd the trip go?
Bar Harbor and Acadia? Always beautiful.
Road to Bar Harbor? Under construction and a nightmare. Down to one lane into town with a detour to get out. It's supposed to be done by tourist season but from what I saw it would be a small miracle.
If you saw my post about the Hampton they're really nice about letting non-guests charge overnight but you're rolling the dice to get one of the close spots that the extension stretches to. If you charge up in Brewer, you really ought to have enough to get to the park, do some driving and get back to Brewer.
Had lots of fun in NH and VT as well if you're headed in that direction.
Detailed recommendations if you want to PM me.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster and Xenius