TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PA: Whitehall ( Allentown) Superchargers Updates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jrreno, May 2, 2014.

1. PhillyGal

PhillyGal Member

I've been compulsively checking this thread... just being quiet about it because we aren't heading back up to where we'll need it until after it's live. (I think.)

2. Syd

Syd Member

so is that a once a day compulsion or more often? (keeps quiet about how often I look for picts of progress here)

3. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Speaking for myself, its everytime I pick up my iPad ( two to three times a day ). I am subscribed to thread ( and others )

4. PhillyGal

PhillyGal Member

Once a day... but probably would have been more if I wasn't traveling the past week :)

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Damn squirrel can't get a nut.

we need one near Harrisburg, and Williamsport.

6. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

And Erie!!!

7. jrreno

+1 ^^^

8. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Update 1-6-2016

Night time pictures but still bright enough to see what's going on. Lots of progress made. Looks like PP&L has completed everything on their end so its only a matter of how quickly the contractor can complete the rest of the installation. Most wiring looks to be in place. Best case scenario in my opinion is either online or testing by the end of the week assuming they don't have any issues with inspection scheduling. Worst case scenario being 3 weeks? I'll keep checking.

IMG_1590.JPG IMG_1591.JPG IMG_1592.JPG IMG_1593.JPG

9. ericallyn

ericallyn Member

Thanks for pics, EVSteve. Great to see (and read) about the progress. I'm driving to FLA next weekend, and this one would help my route...

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pictures.

Looks like:
    - cabling
    - transformer hookup
    - meter and hookup
    - complete Supercharger/distribution enclosure
    - testing
    - inspections

11. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Active Member

One month.

(based on most all previous SuperChargers)

12. rickrickrick

rickrickrick Member

EVSteve, thanks for the update! As a new model S owner it's fascinating to "watch" the Supercharger infrastructure installation process. We took a trip down to D.C. our first weekend with the car and used the Newark, Delaware supercharger but that's been our only experience. Looking forward to using Allentown on one of our future trips to visit the in-laws in NJ.

13. PhillyGal

PhillyGal Member

The updated supercharger map has a Harrisburg area gray "coming soon" marker, same as this location which we know is actually coming soon. I'm still hoping there's a permit somewhere no one has picked up on yet. There are only so many places I can visit up and down I-95 :)
    (Already been Maine to Georgia in our MS.)

14. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant, innkeeper

There were a few install teams working the east coast before the holidays. Nothing active on the east coast now but Allentown so hopefully a few went into stealth mode in Harrisburg and along I80. Fingers crossed.

15. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

This baby looks almost ready to turn on and start testing. All the stands are buttoned up and the enclosure looks basically completed.

IMG_1641.JPG IMG_1642.JPG IMG_1643.JPG IMG_1644.JPG IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1646.JPG

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Yes, that looks like everything is in place. The covered thing near the distribution cabinets is, I presume, the meter. (Pole-mounted transformers, so can't put the meter by the transformer!).
    So, should just need
    a) clean-up
    b) testing
    c) inspection

17. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I think that's a little overly optimistic. They've still got to install the equipment into the grey cabinet. And since it looks like everything is ready except for that, I bet they are waiting on parts, which doesn't bode well for this being finished soon.

I wonder when we will start seeing those nice thin liquid cooled cables.

18. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Thanks for the pictures.

Those big black cables in this will connect 480V AC from the transformers on the pole to the grey distribution cabinet. The horizontal, bars that the cables will be connected to are from top to bottom, the three 480V power phases, neutral, and ground. The big plate between neutral and ground is the service-entrance, single-point connection of neutral to ground. The meter under the plastic bag will be a CT (current transformer) meter.

These last connections can happen in a day or less. After that the last tests need to be done by Tesla Supercharger Techs with a Tesla Model S before the site can be commissioned. All of this could take from days to months, but is usually less than weeks.

Good Luck!

19. jrreno

EVSteve, many thanks for posting pictures. Nice to see the stands all buttoned up.

- - - Updated - - -

The last picture of the transformers ( #386 ) did not have the high voltage connected to the fuses on the pole or the 480v lines connected to the transformers.

20. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

can the liquid cooled ones also heat? These thick cables are hard as heck to bend in the PA cold.

Unless they are thin enough to be more flexible anyway...

On the Tesla 2016 map, I think I see Harrisburg, and the Williamsport or I80 area.