TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PA: Whitehall ( Allentown) Superchargers Updates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jrreno, May 2, 2014.

1. Depeche Mode

Depeche Mode Member

You're right... there's a big hole between Hagerstown - Binghamton I81... came back the other day and had to emergency charge (because of the strong winds) at Sheetz in Mechanicsburg/Harrisburgh (the one on Carlisle Pike). Been able to add couple of % but the L3 charger stopped when I was at 75% SoC... was hoping to get an almost full charge to be able to get to Binghamton but was forced instead to longer my trip to Tannersville to top up... at least I had enough juice to get to Syracuse instead of Binghamton...

Harrisburgh is at a «do it now» status...

2. ericallyn

ericallyn Member

Harrisburgh is at a «do it now» status...[/QUOTE]

I AGREE!! We need Harriburg. Its a key N-S connection!

3. rickrickrick

rickrickrick Member

If we have a meet up I'd be willing to help anyone install or show show them how I installed the external EZpass transponder under my nose cone. I tried the transponder out a couple of days ago when we drove my son to JFK, it worked without issue at all of the toll plazas. I have a couple of small suction cups that I purchased from Harbor Freight, I have spare automotive tape, and I have extra zip ties. The whole process was pretty simple.

4. Syd

Syd Member

Rick,
    The SC will install the external transponder in the nosecone for you. I had mine installed when I picked up the car, and it's worked flawlessly for me since I got it. the metal behind the nosecode will act as a good ground plane reflector for the antenna in the tag (just like the car bumper does for the license plate mounting position it was intended for).

Looking forward to the meetup, but as a worst case, I have a meeting in Bethlehem on 2/2, so I hope it's up and running by then.

Syd

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I drive the Carlise pike near that sheetz often. I'd like to see a Harrisburg, but since I live near, I'd only visit out of fun or if I need a fast charge.

6. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

That gray dot has been there since 2012 on the coming next year map.

7. glenndunk

glenndunk New Member

Anyone able to swing by and get photo of how the construction is doing? My hometown is Kutztown and now live in Florida so interested in planning trip with the Allentown superstation.

8. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I bet it looks pretty much the same as on Friday when the EVSteve took his pictures.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

And I bet you were as disappointed as I was that the post didn't add new information.

Here's another one. :p

10. SabrToothSqrl

Are we there yet?! :-D

lol

11. mmccord

mmccord Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SabrToothSqrl again.

12. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Don't make me come back there!

I will turn this thread right around and go back to Tannersville!

13. PhillyGal

PhillyGal Member

:smile:

14. SabrToothSqrl

Ok, so here's the plan. We go find a rarely used or area with too many super chargers. California looks like a good place.

We get some electricians, trailers, and some type of a distraction.

we roll up, um, move some chargers, and drop them near Harrisburg, PA.

whos in?!

15. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Do you want me to pull this car over and show you where we are?! :)

16. wabbit

wabbit Member

A better plan. Tesla hires someone to manage SuperCharger manufacture, distribution, and site acquisition management who can get the job done on time. Take a few electrical engineers, put them in a room to design a unitized SC< Set aside an unused space in Fremont and create an assembly line to assemble the transformer/distribution room on permanent mounts ready to be set on a concrete pad and connected as a single unit (or double unit) to a 4 station sub unit that can expand to two 4 unit subs that again only need to be set on a concrete strip foundation. All electrical could be contained in steel conduit and bolted together on site with minimal electrical connections ready to fasten. Ship it on a few long semi-trailers. And pursue agreements with several of the truckstop chains for sites. Easily do another 500 x 4 chargers in a year.

17. ericallyn

ericallyn Member

SabrTooth. I am desperate for a Harrisburg SC, as I live in upstate NY and often travel south. And, co-incidentally, I am presently in SF, CA. And I will be touring through the TESLA plant in Fremont on Wednesday afternoon. I'd be happy to grab a couple of superchargers, shove them into my carry-on bag (I don't ever check bags), and bring them back East. I can then drive them down to Harrisburg (I will be driving there Sunday evening), and would be happy to drop them off where ever you would like in H'burg. You will have to find the electricians for the install. Sounds like a plan, right? :smile:

18. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Everything is completed and buttoned up except for the main feed from the meter base. They even installed some bright led pole lights to better illuminate where the chargers are. No pics as there's nothing really new to show.

19. djinn1

djinn1 Member

Any ice's parked there yet? Oh wait, this isn't Michigan… :tongue:

20. SabrToothSqrl

Now that the X can tow, I'm not above carrying some tow straps... I'll fix that ICE problem myself.