Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mods could I make a request that this (and any other thread Supercharger related) gets the state included in the thread title along with the city?

This thread really is a great example of how long it takes Tesla to get permission to build. It seems like they have the building part down to almost a science (full build in about 2 weeks), but all this crappy paperwork and such really drags them down.

Will definitely check out Cafe Bruges the next time we visit the in-laws in Carlisle.

The countdown is on for SpCs north of Pittsburgh into Upstate NY. My wife and I agreed we would cancel our Model X reservation if we are restricted from travel in that direction when time comes to finalize. Am definitely hoping SpCs arrive before the X!

I like the idea of Harrisburg/Mechanicsburg better than Carlisle.
If they find a suitable site near the intersection of I-76 and I-81, that facilitates the more efficient "grid" layout by serving both interstate corridors. It'd be problematic for a single SC site to be too far out of the way regardless of whether you were coming from (or heading to) the NE (Allentown or Scranton SC) vs. straight East (PA Turnpike). The only interstate combo which Carlisle doesn't really address is Allentown to York. But York isn't a huge destination, and if you're continuing down to Baltimore, then you could use Newark DE instead. So Carlisle seems more likely than Harrisburg/Mechanicsburg, based on routes enabled. Which is the primary purpose of the Supercharger build-out right now, as I understand it.

If they find a suitable site near the intersection of I-76 and I-81, that facilitates the more efficient "grid" layout by serving both interstate corridors. It'd be problematic for a single SC site to be too far out of the way regardless of whether you were coming from (or heading to) the NE (Allentown or Scranton SC) vs. straight East (PA Turnpike). The only interstate combo which Carlisle doesn't really address is Allentown to York. But York isn't a huge destination, and if you're continuing down to Baltimore, then you could use Newark DE instead. So Carlisle seems more likely than Harrisburg/Mechanicsburg, based on routes enabled. Which is the primary purpose of the Supercharger build-out right now, as I understand it.

I was thinking of more the 83/283/81/76/322/11 area with out being too far out of the way for either of those routes. Harrisburg is a major hub of highways not just n/s/e/w, but also the other 4 major points of a compass.

The north south coverage is what's needed. Baltimore to Scranton is not do able. They are planning a charger in the Hazelton area. A route that by passes NYC to the north and a Philly to I80 west is what I think they are shooting for with the 2015 map. Rt 322 only has one ~8 mile missing link to I-80/99 which is slated to be completed within the next 5 years. Rt 11 has a fee more missing links but when you combine the bloomsburg and Williamsport areas that is pretty significant as well.

Perhaps we should start a new thread for the Harrisburg area since we know it is getting one, just not exactly where it will be.