Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be rather challenging to test it before they break ground. Hope that it goes live before 2014 ends, given that it's been on the "Soon" and "2014" maps for quite a while now...

I also asked about Mechanicsburg, Dubois, and Hazelton/Pocono area and he said that they are not anywhere on his radar and that if they are on the maps they are likely in the looking for land to lease stage.

If they start shipping the CHAdeMO adapter soon that will make life a lot easier since Sheetz has invested in a pretty good charging network for this area.

Well, Hazelton/Pocono area should be easy, the Prime Outlets at Tannersville. IMO since they already have a relationship with Prime they should have completed that one before this one.

It sounds like it's now Tesla dragging their feet on Whitehall. We know that city zoning is approved.

IMO a hotel in the Harrisburg area should be more than willing to lease out 6 parking spaces to Tesla for spaces. Rumors I have heard for the Mechanicsburg site was that the city wanted Tesla to pay for road construction to add more lanes and red lights for the increased traffic. (Apparently someone in zoning has faith that tesla will be the largest automaker in the world.)

If they start shipping that CHAdeMO adapter, at $450 we will be all over it. There is a Sheetz in Harrisburg with one. Plus Mechanicsburg, Altoona, State College, and Blairsville. Heck, you could drive from Pitt to Philly in a Leaf now.

Sadly you can't get there in a Model S, without hitting Hagerstown first. I talked to the hotel manager in HBurg who backed out of the lease, realizing there was no upside for him, except for doling out free coffee and use of his restrooms. They need to target sites where there is upside, such as multiple restaurants, excessive parking, etc. This is not, as they say, rocket science.

... I talked to the hotel manager in HBurg who backed out of the lease, realizing there was no upside for him, except for doling out free coffee and use of his restrooms. ...

Any possibility this is an issue with Simon Malls? They own the LVM as well as KOP malls. Perhaps someone in their offices decided to stick it to Tesla or is asking for new unreasonable terms? I've heard from merchants about a recent massive hike in lease fees. After watching them replace the two free chargers on the upper deck at KOP with two Blink chargers set at an astronomical ripoff rate it wouldn't surprise me.

Note: It was their own snowplow that destroyed the old chargers and honestly they weren't that bad. New cable on one unit andastand for the other would have been sufficient.

The link to the Whitehall documents was not posted by the town of whitehall, but was posted by some nut who calls himself "Code Orange," and is a regular over at the tesla motors forum, under the thread "De-Ice Man Coneth." This guy goes around engaging in acts of civil disobedience, like placing cones in tesla charging stalls to stop icer's from hogging the spaces.

Anyway, here is his post on Allentown from the tesla motors "de-ice man coneth" thread. It seems like he lives in the nyc area.

Code Orange walked furtively down MacArthur Road in Whitehall Township, PA, clothed in plain attire to blend into the dreary afternoon. And it was dreary that day in Whitehall, owing to the fact that it was, well, Whitehall. If Allentown, the neighboring city, was Billy Joel's "Pennsylvania we never found," then Whitehall was the Pennsylvania we found and couldn't dislodge, like a fetid barnacle clinging to the side of a rotting ship.

But Whitehall was the key to the expansion of the supercharger network, and Code Orange had received a message from his organization. (Thankfully, the electronic communications received by Code Orange were protected by state-of-the-art AOL encryption technology, otherwise his cover would have been blown.) And the message was ominous: The ICErs had changed tactics. No longer would they be content merely to occupy Tesla charging stalls. Now, they targeted municipalities to prevent already-permitted charging stations from being constructed in the first place.

The messages resonated with truth, but Code Orange needed hard facts. And so on this day, October 28, 2014, at 4:57 pm, Code Orange found himself in front of the offices of the Whitehall Township, 3219 MacArthur Blvd. He pushed the doors open and was about to gently close them shut, but then realized that in this edifice of high security, the soft muffle of closing doors would be suspicious.

Therefore, with casual grace and steely nerves, Code Orange slammed the doors shut behind him. He was immediately confronted by a burly guard with hard biceps and a large revolver loosely holstered to a thick belt. "Sir," he said, "We're closing now."

Code Orange cooly assessed the situation. There were just the two of them. One possibility would be to overpower the guard, race through the building, find the Development Office, rifle through the files until he found the Tesla folder, then tuck the folder under his jacket, and race out of the building, with the still-subdued guard unable to stop him.

It wasn't necessarily a bad plan, but it was predicated on the assumption that the guard would remain subdued throughout the process. (It was also arguably predicated on Code Orange being able to subdue the guard in the first place, but Code Orange dismissed such distractions.) And while Code Orange was more formidable than his life experience and accomplishments would suggest, he decided upon Plan B.

"I really have to use the bathroom," Code Orange said, wincing in pain and crossing his legs. The guard rolled his eyes and pointed down the hallway. "That way," he said. "You'll need to be quick."

Code Orange ran to the bathroom. A minute passed. Code Orange pushed the bathroom door open. The guard was nowhere in sight. Code Orange looked to his right and saw a stairwell curving upwards to the second floor. He bounded up the steps, one at a time, and reached the landing of the second floor, where he noticed a large sign: "Development Office." He entered the room and saw filing cabinets lining the back wall. He opened the cabinet labelled "T" and began frantically thumbing through the folders. "Tanzania, Tarantella, Ten Commandments, Tertiary Syphilis . . . TESLA!!" There it was! Tesla Motors, Docket #1789, 250 Lehigh Valley Mall.

Code Orange looked quickly through the contents. It was all there. A treasure trove of confidential information, concealed from the public, rife with secret strategies and data. Codes. Ordinances. Diagrams of underground cables, with installation plans for two 4" conduits encased in concrete with 30" covers. Even photographic simulations.

Tesla.Whitehall.File.pdf - Google Drive...

Code Orange gathered up the papers, wrapped the folder around his jacket, and tip-toed down the stairs. When he reached the bottom, he heard loud footsteps approaching. Code Orange sprinted to the exit, but the door was locked. He was trapped. And the footsteps became louder. Code Orange yanked harder on the doors, but they were chained and wouldn't budge.

"Hey!" he heard the guard yell. The footsteps quickened as the guard approached Code Orange. A white sheet of fear clouded his vision. It was over. And the guard was angry. He would no doubt lift up Code Orange by the scruff of his neck and . . . and . . . manhandle him until the police arrived, then he would be processed, sentenced and imprisoned. Code Orange had a certain degree of resolve, but he couldn't do hard time. He just couldn't. And Code Orange had no illusions. He was looking at hard time for trespassing, stealing government property, falsifying . . uh . . reasons for entry into a public institution. He could see the indictment now, a laundry list of infractions. The public exposure, the humiliation . . . his wife, his family, his daughter. And his wife.

"You still here?" the guard asked. "You must have the bladder of a race horse." The guard then brandished a cluster of jangling keys and unlocked the chains. He pushed the doors open. MacArthur Road beckoned.

"You have a nice day now," the guard said.

Code Orange paused. Surely, the guard must be making a mistake. But Code Orange quickly determined that this was a mistake working in his favor. Code Orange exited the building, then headed over to his Model S, parked near Monro Muffler on Grape Street, the very location where the superchargers would be erected. Soon, he was on Interstate 78 heading back towards the great metropolis.

the most frustrating part is not understanding the process combined with a complete lack of information, except for sleuth work by EVSteve and occasional snippets from others about clandestine meetings and their many postponements. This bespeaks a highly disorganized, complex, political process which is doomed to be delayed. Every system is perfectly designed to achieve the results it gets.

I wish Tesla was able to provide more clarity, even if they broke it up into a few stages and let us know where it stands. Right now the stages are ... blue dot ... much commotion and brouhaha ... Bermuda Triangle .... voila, instant Supercharger.

There, I feel better. Now hurry up and wait.

Oh make no mistake, Tesla has an extremely detailed internal map, with dozens of detailed status indicators to track land acquisition, permitting, and construction. I glimpsed this once briefly at a local Tesla event on the laptop of a coordinator. It is just not shared externally.

maybe so. but tracking a process doesn't make it better, redesigning it does. I think I am more miffed that Allentown has been on the radar for well over a year - the length of time I have had my Tesla. And the pace of getting to go has been glacial. So how can you explain that some superchargers go from start to finish in weeks and others are still stalled for over a year, other than a complex inefficient local politics-infested process? Not saying that any of that is tesla's fault, but they could be a bit more forthcoming in keeping us posted, at least for sites that are bogged down and outside of "the norm".

I have yet to be able to use any supercharger. (although I did take a drink once at EVSteve's home site!) Just venting a bit and wishing for someone to step on the accelerometer and get this puppy built.

Oh I totally agree with you, I wish the entire process was completely transparent, which would actually allow us to help a little, by suggesting sites and attending zoning meetings, etc. I still cannot travel east to Philly or NYC or north to upstate NY, and my car is almost two years old. Some of these SpCs are almost a year past due, from the original projections. Very frustrating, though I do applaud the progress elsewhere.