Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pace vehicle for Bicycle Criterium?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been asked to drive my MS as the "pace car" or lead vehicle for the 1st lap of each race for a bicycle criterium in in August. The event would be on the streets of downtown Bloomington (Illinois). Eight heats 10 - 15 miles, about 20 minutes each and very fast.

Any thoughts, good or bad?

Bloomington Jaycee Criterium
Aug. 24, 2013 - Aug. 24, 2013 , 11:30 - 6:30
Downtown Bloomington
Downtown Bloomington
Bloomington, IL 61701
Visit Our Website

2013 is the year that criterium racing comes back to Bloomington, IL. Saturday Aug 24th the Bloomington Jaycee Criterium will bring a high energy racing atmosphere for families and spectators of all ages to the streets of downtown Bloomington. The race will consist of eight high-speed pro bike races and two free races for kids. With the help of the local biking community and our amazing sponsors, the BN Jaycees hope to reinvigorate Bloomington's racing spirit.

I'm a bike racer and a Tesla fan. I was daydreaming today about this very scenario. The race I did this past weekend (Tulsa Tough...one of the premiere criteriums in the country) has a VW beetle as the lead vehicle. The car didn't just do the lead lap, but every single lap of the day so probably 200-300 miles. It would be amazing for a Model S to serve this function. Range likely wouldn't be an issue at 25-30mph. Honestly, I think Tesla should sponsor a pro cycling team so they can be the team cars. The longest races are around 180 miles so it would be perfect.

I'm a bike racer and a Tesla fan. I was daydreaming today about this very scenario. The race I did this past weekend (Tulsa Tough...one of the premiere criteriums in the country) has a VW beetle as the lead vehicle. The car didn't just do the lead lap, but every single lap of the day so probably 200-300 miles. It would be amazing for a Model S to serve this function. Range likely wouldn't be an issue at 25-30mph. Honestly, I think Tesla should sponsor a pro cycling team so they can be the team cars. The longest races are around 180 miles so it would be perfect.

Open the trunk lid and you have a perfect motorpacing vehicle. No exhaust fumes.

If this really is a Crit (Criterium) then I would doubt the big heavy Model S would be able to stay in front of a group if they were racing. If this is a (pseudo) neutral first lap only then you could probably do it.

Also expect terrible energy consumption. You will be gunning it and hitting the brakes hard often around a short circuit.

Mostly Crit races are 1/4 to 1 mile in length. They are timed events and the cyclists just do laps until the time is elapsed. Organizers will give an official 5 (or 3) laps to go after they determine the pace of the race, to give a deterministic end to the race.

Crits are performed on closed circuits and rarely require the use of lead or follow cars. Mechanicals are done at one or more pits, and riders with mechanicals are often given a 'free lap' to fix their bikes.

I would ask what type of driving you are expected to do for each race. 10 miles seems like a road race, in which case the Model S is almost the ideal vehicle to lead or follow the group. And you should get fairly good energy consumption numbers.

Dang I've never seen a pace car. A few motorcycles.

But what's the point of a pace car on a Crit circuit?
Promotion for a sponsor is about the only thing I can think of. I've been racing for 10 + years up in the PNW and it's pretty rare we have a pace car or even a motorcycle in most of our crits. Unless it's a moto official.

I agree it would be cool to have a Model S as a pace car though!

Cheers!