Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific Coast Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm contemplating taking our Model S Long Range on a trip along the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to Seattle. I've found discussions about charging along this route, but the most 'current' is from 2017. If any of you have experience, suggestions, recommendations...for this trip, I'd appreciate your input.

I just looked on plugshare and hwy 1 has a couple spots where you'll need to charge to around 100% depending on your pack size like SLO to Big Sur or SF to Ft. Bragg.

I've taken the 1 many times over the years but never in the tesla I always take it on the Harley, its a great trip and the views are awesome.

We've travelled on routes in our much more range limited (253 estimated but 150 to 200 max REAL miles) 2015 P85D than PCH several years ago when there were HALF the number of Superchargers there are now. Trips are easy to do if you use an EV planning tool like EVTripPlanner.com and enter your route including waypoints in your Tesla Navigation. Our longest Supercharger to Supercharger route leg was Page AZ to Blanding UT through Monument Valley. There was is only ONE place to charge between these Superchargers and it was a campground (50A / 240V = $10.00) which paying attention to our Navigation's Estimate Charge at Destination and driving a little slower allowed us to make this 200 actual mile leg. In your Long Range this should be easy & drama free. Same non-drama should apply to PCH.

I'm contemplating taking our Model S Long Range on a trip along the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to Seattle. I've found discussions about charging along this route, but the most 'current' is from 2017. If any of you have experience, suggestions, recommendations...for this trip, I'd appreciate your input.
I made this trip the other direction from Seattle to San Francisco in a 60kwh RWD Model S. That car had a 208 mile EPA estimated range when new and I think when we bough it it had only like 170 miles of range at 100% or something like that. I did not drive easy at all and had only one "uh oh" instance but we made it anyway, thankfully. I found out later that one of those Superchargers was just brought online a few months prior to that trip we took or we likely wouldn't have made it.

Model S LR and years later with (I assume) more Superchargers? You should be good.

Superchargers are close enough today so as quell any sort of range anxiety all along Coast Highway. From San Diego along old 101 to Oceanside; Dana Point through Orange County, the South Bay, to Malibu and Oxnard; back on 101; Highway 1 just north of Gaviota to Lompoc, Pismo, San Luis, and on up the coast from Morro Bay to Monterey, Sta. Cruz, San Francisco; across the Golden Gate, and again on Highway 1 along the Marin, Sonoma, and Mendocino County coasts; back onto 101 to Eureka, Crescent City, Oregon, and Washington are rife with Superchargers spaced at quite reasonable distances. The spacing affords side jaunts to attractions and points of interest.

There are also many destination chargers at properties along the route as well. In addition, many stretches of Coast Highway, especially in Monterey County and north of San Francisco are slow going with curves and small communities that require slower speeds that will increase range.

I would not sweat this journey in my crippled 2014 S85 with a rated range of about 248 miles and an effective range of 220 or so. Your car is better than that!