Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific Northwest Owners (Seattle, Portland, or towns/cities in the region)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to do as you do. Preheat and only use the seat warmers. I have a LR AWD w/HW3 FSD, so perhaps that's the difference.

I have a 2016 Model S 90D. Yesterday I made about a 30 mile round trip with the car sitting for 2+ hours in the middle. The trip home was cold enough I ran the heat some, but still got 290 Wh/Mi round trip. That's only about 5 Wh/Mi above my non-winter average. But that was unusual for winter. A lot of my Wh/Mi depends on how efficient I can be getting down the hill at the start of the trip. If I reach the bottom of the hill below 100 Wh/Mi I usually get pretty good efficiency on the round trip. When the weather is perfect in spring and fall I have gotten as low as 60 Wh/Mi, but that's very rare.

Think they were referring to cabin temp preheating. I'm also trying to figure the best way to manage power with regards to cabin heating. Turing off AC is usually a good thing in cars, but then you get foggy windows because the dryer isn't running. Same kind of happens when I use no air con and just seat heater, starts to fog up.

During warm weather I don't worry about the A/C being on. At least most of the summer here in the NW it doesn't consume much energy to have it on. On really hot days when the A/C really has to run on high, I see a drop in range. The battery cooling is probably working extra hard under those conditions too.

In the winter I usually cycle the window defroster on and off to keep the windows clear.

Wanted to put it out there in case anyone is looking to get rid of a relatively new set of 20” silver or gray rim set or just two if silver as I had two blowouts and wheel damage a few days ago on both driver side wheels. You can keep tires and tpms but if you want to sell everything at a reasonable price I’ll think about it as well as I can always use tires since apparently I’m good at killing them :/. Happy New Years everyone.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
This will cause faster battery degradation if done often. It’s better to use shore power to heat the car than battery power. Your full-charge range will decrease in proportion to the number of charge cycles used.

my experience with preheating on a 120 v 15 amp circuit is that the power comes off the battery, and when the cabin is heated the shore power recharges the battery, it’s clear that the battery % declines, then is recharged. It may be different with higher power charging circuits, idk, but I guess I’d be surprised if the car was actually heating directly from shore power. What’s your experience?

my experience with preheating on a 120 v 15 amp circuit is that the power comes off the battery, What’s your experience?

Yes, you need a 240V power source to preheat using shore power. A 120V outlet won’t work.

My Tesla wall connector starts strobing when preheating the connected car. It shows 2/48A draw on the screen, and my home power consumption monitor also shows this. After preheating for 30 minutes, the battery state of charge remains the same.

Reactions: ralph142
Yes, you need a 240V power source to preheat using shore power. A 120V outlet won’t work.

My Tesla wall connector starts strobing when preheating the connected car. It shows 2/48A draw on the screen, and my home power consumption monitor also shows this. After preheating for 30 minutes, the battery state of charge remains the same.
Have you tried it in sub-freezing temps and/or with lower amperage? I was getting a lot of blowback for my earlier post but I have definitely seen the battery get depleted during cabin pre-heating while plugged into an L2 charger.

my experience with preheating on a 120 v 15 amp circuit is that the power comes off the battery, and when the cabin is heated the shore power recharges the battery, it’s clear that the battery % declines, then is recharged. It may be different with higher power charging circuits, idk, but I guess I’d be surprised if the car was actually heating directly from shore power. What’s your experience?

Under normal winter conditions around here preheating the car plugged into 240V does not deplete the battery.

Have you tried it in sub-freezing temps and/or with lower amperage? I was getting a lot of blowback for my earlier post but I have definitely seen the battery get depleted during cabin pre-heating while plugged into an L2 charger.

When it's very cold the heater is probably working harder than shore power can provide. Though I would be surprised if 240V/40A wasn't enough.

Hello everyone! Just checking in to see how everyone is doing as the wet PNW weather is now upon us! Stay safe!

It's been an insane month here. Normally I like the fall weather, but I need to shift a large load of stuff into a storage locker from a moving truck next week. It was supposed to be delivered this week, but got delayed. It looks like we'll be doing it in the rain.

It's the family curse, the weather is always bad whenever anyone moves or something else happens to screw things up.

Reactions: jebinc