Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific NW - Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just got off the phone with the mother ship, I put in a comment on the super charger announcement. I noted I was disappointed that so few were slated for this area and that significant portions of WA state are basically in the dark. I specifically requested that two additional locations be considered, Leavenworth WA, which being just over the pass would be a great place to top up before heading out into the various camping/hiking/vacationing areas that are currently a challenge. the other one was somewhere out on the Peninsula, like Port Angeles. I also put in yet another request for a TT30 adapter, which seems like a common RV plug up in this neck of the woods.

The other reason to consider Leavenworth is that people are frustrated that they can travel on highway 2 passing CHAdeMO chargers today and not able to use them. If you put a SuperCharger in Leavenworth it will at least partially deal with the lack of a CHAdeMO adapter.

Most other places that CHAdeMO are present today will be covered by Tesla SuperChargers, but there are like 5 or so roads that are not (even in 2015 plan). Highway 2 being one of them.

I think it would be cool after 2015 that for every 1000 or so Model S's delivered to an area, you give that area a vote of where they want to have the next charger.

The fourth dot in Oregon from today's announcement looks like it's in Stayton or some crazy thing. Any speculation as to where that might be and why Tesla thinks it's necessary to put one there?

On the original Supercharger plan map they had a dot near Kelso or Castlerock, WA. I asked about it last year and they said that the dots were just general areas.
It turns out that the Supercharger will actually be in Centralia, which is a much more ideal location.

My guess is that they were trying to not be too specific just in case they had issues with securing a location or trouble working with a particular utility.

Brianman will do a much more comprehensive job, but I did the map of today's announcement for Oregon (thru winter 2013).

Tesla Supercharger 5 30 2013 rev b.png

If today's map is meant to be accurate, it would indicate systems would be in Salem, Eugene, Roseburg, and Medford. This is contrary to the notion of placing superchargers BETWEEN population centers, and not in them directly. It also puts the nearest SC to Centralia 138 miles away (Salem) which is well beyond the 80 to 100 mile limit for 'well traveled areas'.

All of this tends to make me think these are still general indicators and not committed placements?

Last edited:
If today's map is meant to be accurate, it would indicate systems would be in Salem, Eugene, Roseburg, and Medford. This is contrary to the notion of placing superchargers BETWEEN population centers, and not in them directly. It also puts the nearest SC to Centralia 138 miles away (Salem) which is well beyond the 80 to 100 mile limit for 'well traveled areas'.

All of this tends to make me think these are still general indicators and not committed placements?
I agree with you last point - general placement.

There have been a number of reports of Woodburn as the SC location, not Salem. That makes more sense as it is a bit closer to Centralia (120 mi). Though, Wilsonville makes even more sense (108 miles to Centralia, 93 to Eugene and lots of amenities).

I agree with you last point - general placement.

There have been a number of reports of Woodburn as the SC location, not Salem. That makes more sense as it is a bit closer to Centralia (120 mi). Though, Wilsonville makes even more sense (108 miles to Centralia, 93 to Eugene and lots of amenities).

Land is cheaper in Woodburn, and it's more of a travel-centered economy there. The outlet mall is a huge traffic area for out-of-towners, especially in shopping season. It reminds me a lot of the Gilroy outlet mall, where we have a model for the Supercharging plan. Wilsonville is more of a suburbs-centered economy. $1.00 says it's Woodburn. ;)

Land is cheaper in Woodburn, and it's more of a travel-centered economy there. The outlet mall is a huge traffic area for out-of-towners, especially in shopping season. It reminds me a lot of the Gilroy outlet mall, where we have a model for the Supercharging plan. Wilsonville is more of a suburbs-centered economy. $1.00 says it's Woodburn. ;)

Yeah, but Wilsonville has Frys!

I wouldn't take that bet but still think Wilsonville is a better location due to distance from the Centralia SC. Not that I worry about it for myself - getting a P85 soon.

I think PacNW is a big enough thread for two states' worth of supercharger activity. I plan on using them in both states equally, and one thread for both suits me well.

I agree but if you Oregon Tesla heads are anything like us in Washington, there will be a separate thread for every SC that goes in. The Burlington one has over 100 posts and lots of pictures.

I agree but if you Oregon Tesla heads are anything like us in Washington, there will be a separate thread for every SC that goes in. The Burlington one has over 100 posts and lots of pictures.
As AndyM hints, some of us in Washington are cheering for Oregon installations as well. Makes it easier to get back to the mother ship more quickly.

It might not be a bad idea to have a thread for each Supercharger.
It could be a place to have status reports in the future just in case there is outages, repairs, weather, congestion etc.