TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pack balancing & J1772

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Atebit, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Atebit

Atebit Member

At home I use my old AV EVSE from my LEAF days. Even at only 30A I can almost always manage to fit my charging within my off-peak TOU rate plan window. I rarely use my UMC. My (probably) dumb question is, during a range charge using the AV EVSE, can the car balance the battery if it wants to, or do I need a a Tesla charger for that? I know this is handled by the battery management system in the car, but I wasn't sure if there was some special protocol necessary between the charger & EVSE to facilitate this.

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The Model S communicates using the J1772 protocols for all A/C charging, including with the UMC and HPWC - it just has a different connector geometry. That being the case, I don't see how there would be a problem with the balancing.
    Walter

3. Atebit

Atebit Member

That's what I was hoping, thanks!

4. Odenator

Odenator P2607

Balancing unfortunately takes a lot of time

5. tezco

tezco Sig P85

How do you define "a lot of time"? My range charges on my AV EVSE @ 30 A don't seem to take all that long. Sure, the last few miles take half an hour, but I suspect that once the rate on a HPWC drops to 30 A, the time to completion is the same for both EVSE's.