TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Ingineer, Dec 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hostman

hostman Member

8 years would have to be the coverage unless the customer agreed to the Ludicrous+ disclaimer. I think if you are planning on keeping it longer you might want to start with a lighter touch or with Sport mode. ;)

• Like x 1
  2. NSX1992

NSX1992 Member

#2362 NSX1992, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Jon you made my day. I immediately phoned my friends that my faith in Tesla was restored and I will not have my power cut in the future. I can again boast of the virtues of all electric and especially the performance.

And Jon if you are reading this please make the upgrade for my P85DL to a P100DL possible. I would be willing to pay the $20,000 for the new battery. Remember that Elon stated in announcing the P90DL that he advised owners of the P85D to wait for a larger benefit in battery size rather than upgrading then. But currently no upgrade is possible for P85DL.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  3. ZeroDarkSilver

ZeroDarkSilver HEPA cleaning your atmosphere, you're welcome

#2363 ZeroDarkSilver, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Headline: 1%'ers Unite and Mobilize to Solve a Grave 1%'er Problem

Lol.

No, seriously though guys, the lawyers and bean counters just got their d*mn asses handed to them. This is great and Tesla is the best.

• Like x 8
    • Love x 1
  4. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Thank you! Tesla's responsiveness is second to none ;)

• Like x 1
  5. vip gts

vip gts Member

Fantastic news and totally unexpected.
    I believe this will benefit Tesla in the long run.

• Like x 1
  6. rowdy

rowdy Member

Thx to Tesla for making the right decision.

The engineering defect is still present in the cars though. I'm going to guess techguy with his restored power will soon find what goes wrong with the pack if his driving style remains the same.

If AnonNJ is right then his babied car (never launched) is still likely to hit the threshold at 30,000-40,000 miles. My guess is all P90DL batteries are going to need to be replaced at some point given the typical life of the cars.

Resale for P85D/P90D will likely still take a hit. Need to factor in a battery swap at some point.

Would be nice to know when approaching the already disclosed threshold values. Probably a good time to offload the car.

• Like x 3
  7. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I think that is an over-simplification, and also doesn't take into account what @JonMc said about being proactive in attempting to prevent problems.

The counters did not represent the point at which massive failure occurs 100% of the time. The counters were in place to allow Tesla to reduce the power, and thus, hopefully, prevent massive failure entirely.

I am optimistic about this resolution, and believe Tesla will be able to proactively monitor and replace / repair parts as necessary.

• Like x 8
  8. hostman

hostman Member

Agreed!

• Like x 2
  9. AnonNJ

AnonNJ Track mode, smack mode!

Curious about P100D L+ disclaimer... I guess it's now actually rather funny and benign.

• Like x 1
  10. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

I'm glad that this decision was made Jon.

• Like x 1
  11. Andyw2100

It's not all that different from the warning that pops up when one uses max battery heating. (There is a warning, right? I've never used it, but recall something about a warning. Or is that warning just in the release notes / manual?)

12. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

I still want my mommy lol

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  13. Andyw2100

I'd like to nominate the above post for understatement of the week!

• Like x 4
  14. hostman

hostman Member

I'll second that. Plus the pack upgrade would fix the problem, reducing Tesla's warranty liability and making the owner happier in one fell swoop. ;)

• Like x 1
  15. ZeroDarkSilver

ZeroDarkSilver HEPA cleaning your atmosphere, you're welcome

If you can afford that, why not just upgrade your whole car to P100DL and help the world train up AP2?

• Funny x 1
  16. rowdy

rowdy Member

Yup, if they are smart they will try and move all P85D/P90D to 2170 packs ASAP

• Like x 1
  17. hostman

hostman Member

Let's analyze that ... what do you think a 2015 P85DL is worth on the open market? 75k?
    P100DL is $160k? That's $85k difference, plus taxes, EV credit complications, etc...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. drewsny

drewsny Member

Because my P85DL has 53k miles on it and is worth maybe half of what a similarly optioned P100D would be worth, I like the upgrade for 20-25k but im not going to spend another 70k just to get AP2 and .4 seconds faster to 60.

• Like x 2
  19. msnow

msnow Active Member

I thought Elon said that wouldn't be possible because the 2170's would require a new redesigned chassis.

• Like x 1
  20. drewsny

drewsny Member

Also i'd really like to thank Jon for the quick response, definitely reminds all of us why we picked a Tesla over any competitor in the first place.

• Like x 2