Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that is an over-simplification, and also doesn't take into account what @JonMc said about being proactive in attempting to prevent problems.

The counters did not represent the point at which massive failure occurs 100% of the time. The counters were in place to allow Tesla to reduce the power, and thus, hopefully, prevent massive failure entirely.

I am optimistic about this resolution, and believe Tesla will be able to proactively monitor and replace / repair parts as necessary.

I agree. I'm glad that this matter appears to be resolved now.

I feel like a new man.

This was headed nowhere fast, and nothing good was going to become of it.

Thank goodness that someone at Tesla saw the irretrievable path that this was on, and decided to put a halt to it.

Now, more than ever, I know beyond any doubt that I will be buying another Tesla to go along with this one. Either another Model S, or a Model 3.

A few days ago though, I wasn't so sure.

Well done Tesla...the power of public opinion with no Lawsuit needed.
Where is Pee85Dee ... I have a nice hat and black crow for him to dine on :cool:

Tesla listens to customers and walks back all software performance reductions tied to frequent use of max power

Tesla’s President of Sales and Service, Jon McNeill, confirmed the news last night in the very thread on the Tesla Motors Club forum where owners were sharing their discontent with the measure taken by the automaker. He said that it should be fixed “in about three weeks” and that the fix is based on the inputs of the owners:

“Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks). Instead of implementing software limitations to the power output, the company will keep monitoring the parts that could be affected by frequent max power use and replace them during service if needed.

Last edited:
Because my P85DL has 53k miles on it and is worth maybe half of what a similarly optioned P100D would be worth, I like the upgrade for 20-25k but im not going to spend another 70k just to get AP2 and .4 seconds faster to 60.

What kind of 1%'er are you? Quibbling over a mere $70,000. Pathetic!

:)

Well done Tesla...the power of public opinion with no Lawsuit needed.
Where is Pee85Dee ... I have a nice hat and black crow for him to dine on :cool:

Tesla listens to customers and walks back all software performance reductions tied to frequent use of max power

I'm right here.

I could counter with a response along the lines of "the threat of a lawsuit forced their hand."

But that's not necessary.

The way I feel right now, you can take your black crow and shove it up your ass. And your hat too. And you can choose the order.:):cool:

As long as this matter is resolved, it doesn't matter HOW it got resolved.

But then it's clear that you don't see that.

• Funny
Reactions: hostman
It is interesting to speculate when the decision to do something about this problem was actually made. My WAG is that comprehensive engineering, financial and executive review would take about three weeks. This thread started on December 15, a little less than 5 weeks ago. So counting back, by December 28th the wheels at Tesla were probably put in motion. Based on this speculation the first 41 pages of this thread were enough of an input for Tesla to initiate the review process.

Last edited:
Reactions: hostman and xborg
It is interesting to speculate when the decision to do something about this problem was actually made. My WAG is that comprehensive engineering, financial and executive review would take about three weeks. This thread started on December 15, a little less than 5 weeks ago. So counting back, by December 28th the wheels at Tesla was probably put in motion. Based on this speculation the first 41 pages of this thread were enough of an input for Tesla to put initiate the review process.

Not that it really matters, but I'm thinking that it came long after that.

And even if it didn't, the universal rejection of this move, even if we're going from page 41 on in, would have shown anyone reviewing this matter that it was not wanted.

This type of decision by Tesla, has immense potential. It has averted what would have been nothing less than a disaster.

It is interesting to speculate when the decision to do something about this problem was actually made. My WAG is that comprehensive engineering, financial and executive review would take about three weeks. This thread started on December 15, a little less than 5 weeks ago. So counting back, by December 28th the wheels at Tesla was probably put in motion. Based on this speculation the first 41 pages of this thread were enough of an input for Tesla to put initiate the review process.

Or, Elon thought this was bone-headed and told the lawyers and bean counters to go f*ck themselves

Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon
Thank you! I appreciate you responding directly to this thread. Not many, or ANY, car manufacturer would respond directly to their customers and make things right. You (the company) did.

Don't do it again!

Please take this customer passion to heart. We are not only your primary advocates, but we care about our investment(s). Also, please avoid ever doing something like this again. I was considering upgrading to the P100DL before the Supercharger deadline, but that idea went out of my mind as soon as I was made aware of this warranty issue a couple of weeks ago. I am still a little concerned with going Performance on Model 3 now...so a little trust has been lost. That sucks... :-/

We want Tesla to succeed...we really do. Please continue to help us, help you with doing the right thing and better communication moving forward.

Thanks again!

Honestly guys, I haven't felt this good regarding my Tesla since I drove it home.

This is huge,

^+1
I am going to charge my car an extra couple of KwH overnight just so I can fully "appreciate' my freeway onramp in the morning without worrying about a thing (except surrounding traffic, if applicable.)

Ha, first world problems....