Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TechGuy refuses to share how many launch mode events he did so the only data point we really have is hostman's ~1k LM events as meeting a trigger.

The rest of us are probably nowhere near that, and probably never will be
How can people smart enough to buy Tesla be so given to emotion and irrationality and resist getting facts and evidence?

Ive refused to GUESS how many launch modes I've used so far and I won't guess in the future either so you can save your fingers. You should respect that because you claim in your next post to want FACTS. Ive provided FACTS many times throughout this thread! Luckily I was Smart Enough to keep track of my cars performance FACTS or we wouldn't even be here... Im sure there are many limited cars out there but those owners go on un aware this thread or issue even exists. Especially since the counters don't just count launch mode events but also ludicrous and max battery power petal mashing. Heres my statement on my launch mode use from earlier in the thread...
I can't say I used launch mode all the time but I definitely used it to display the cars performance to friends and family members, as well as test rides to interested parties at car shows. I also used launch mode to test the cars performance using a VBox and the Tesla Power tools app... I haven't used the feature since I was made aware of this limitation... unfortunately that warning came after it was already in effect...

Repeat that to yourself 3 times before you go to sleep tonight.
Exactly.... Im sure he can as he's asked me the same question more then 3 times :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And approximately how many times have you used launch mode?

Techguy: approx how many times did you use launch mode?

Thanks for the info.
Approximately how many times did you use launch mode? Sorry if I missed a previous answer.

But how many times do you recall using LAUNCH MODE? Approximately?

Sorry for my confusion in posing the question without sufficient clarity but I didn't mean to ask for you to speculate about the counters.

I just wanted to you to recall from your own memory approximately how many times you engaged launch mode--pressing the brake, then the gas, then the brake, and whatever two-step foot magic is required to illuminate the LAUNCH MODE ENGAGED light?

Was it a handful of times?
Was it a dozen times?
Was it a few dozen times?
Was it 100 times?
Was it a few hundred times?
Was it a thousand times?
Was it a few thousand times?
Was it over 10,000 times?
How many times, approximately, did you use LAUNCH MODE?

Note, I am not asking about SlamThePedal Mode launches or simple WOTs or anything else. Just Launch Mode.

Gifs are a poor substitute for providing more relevant info.

How many launch mode launches? Approximately?

Can you disclose an estimate of the number of Launch Mode events that your car has engaged in? That would be a really useful bit of data to share.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the data. How many launch mode events, approximately, do you think you had?

@TechGuy refuses to share how many launch mode events he did

:rolleyes: Yep definitely more then 3 times I gave up at page 2 of :eek: 8 pages worth....

Well put and my thoughts exactly.

I did change my driving style as a result of the new awareness of accelerated fatigue due to high power usage events. Which seems obvious in hindsight.

Never drove around in sport mode before, but trying it out now. Still damn fast.

Sport mode is slow!! Not only does it remove the responsiveness of the go petal it also reduces your cars output to 380 kW from my test with it... Its almost like activating double the counter restrictions in your car never mind the unresponsive go petal... If you can't tell the huge difference maybe your car is effected as well o_O

Last edited:
How can people smart enough to buy Tesla be so given to emotion and irrationality and resist getting facts and evidence?

bhzmark I'm having a difficult time following your position on this matter.

Could you summarize your position on it?

For example is it your position that this matter only applies to launch mode, Ludicrous, max battery, or what?

Thanks.

Reactions: hostman
bhzmark,
This situation reminds me of one of my good friend's sayings-
I can splain it to you but I can not understand it for you.

The fact is we have one data point of ~1000 Launch Mode events triggering a power reduction limit. And zero data on how conservative even that limit is.

And lots of data points of everyone else NOT noticing a decrease in their power under the full range of driving behavior of that large group. I have the fastest 1/4 mile dragstrip time slip scanned into dragtimes for a P85DL -- I notice the performance of my car quite closely. I have no change.

I'm just seeking/waiting for other data before jumping to conclusions about the under engineering or supposed fragility of the hardware. But until then, pretending to be confident about any conclusions about the longevity or fragility of our hardware under various use conditions is weak speculation.

Last edited:
Tesla is busy. If they took the time to add counter limits, it was for a reason. If it were a positive reason, they would have shared.

Now the issue will go away. There was little incentive for Tesla to provide information before and none now. I'll repeat. Game over.

Agreed ... Tesla is not going to provide more information. The question remains ... what is the long term impact to the battery?

The fact is we have one data point of ~1000 Launch Mode events triggering a power reduction limit. And zero data on how conservative even that limit is.

And lots of data points of everyone else NOT noticing a decrease in their power under the full range of driving behavior of that large group. I have the fastest 1/4 mile dragstrip time slip scanned into dragtimes for a P85DL -- I notice the performance of my car quite closely. I have no change.

I'm just seeking/waiting for other data before jumping to conclusions about the under engineering or supposed fragility of the hardware. But until then, pretending to be confident about any conclusions about the longevity or fragility of our hardware under various use conditions is weak speculation.

Are you George Schultz and Bhzm? Drag Times has two P85DL's. Are these the same car/driver?

Tesla is busy. If they took the time to add counter limits, it was for a reason. If it were a positive reason, they would have shared.

Now the issue will go away. There was little incentive for Tesla to provide information before and none now. I'll repeat. Game over.

im still wondering where all the drive unit and battery replacement threads are for the p90d's...

His tenth faster time may be vbox as there is no scanned time slip.
I did not have a scanner available at that time to prove my 11.224. But I would not post a Vbox result when the post is for 1/4 mile drag strip results. If you were following my posts in other threads you would have known the great lengths that I took to obtain that time by transporting my Tesla in my enclosed trailer 150 miles to Bakersfield. Anyways I have kept all of my time slips to prove to any skeptic.

I have also reported that I have not noticed any meaningful reduction in my 1/8 mile times. But you can bet your bottom dollar that I was very concerned that power could be reduced in the future resulting in a very unhappy Tesla owner.

I did not have a scanner available at that time to prove my 11.224. But I would not post a Vbox result when the post is for 1/4 mile drag strip results. If you were following my posts in other threads you would have known the great lengths that I took to obtain that time by transporting my Tesla in my enclosed trailer 150 miles to Bakersfield. Anyways I have kept all of my time slips to prove to any skeptic.

I have also reported that I have not noticed any meaningful reduction in my 1/8 mile times. But you can bet your bottom dollar that I was very concerned that power could be reduced in the future resulting in a very unhappy Tesla owner.
@bhzmark will be needing a letter from Elon that you own a Tesla and a certified copy of that timeslip. j/k ;)

My point is there is an amount of years and an assumed amount of cycles that engineering decides is acceptable. And this limit may be quite continuous. Just because the limiter set has the cut relatively soon, we can't assume that is the point that the engineers decided. It could be that they are conservative.

I would not assume just because there are thermal limiters that there won't be a temperature issue. Most limiters are built with some room and go over a little even though that reduces rated life. The assumption is that you rarely hit the limiter, but it's possible to do so frequently if you are constantly doing spirited driving.

The max battery mode also overrides whatever baseline temperature limits Tesla had set for the packs in general. The Roadster had a similar mode, and it was made explicitly clear that it's bad for the battery cells (I believe a similar warning is present in the S/X).

1) When you make the change after the fact, the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that was the plan all along. It clearly wasn't.
2) That is just a complete misunderstanding of how thermal limiting works. Not to mention how these components heat up. If the car was anywhere near the limiter going 0-60, then going 0-155 would most definitely trigger it, which is does not. One thing that people are very likely not doing (ever/frequently) is full power runs to full speed.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Using the unquantifiable term "severe duty" misses the distinction that triggers (and the underlying concern about failures) could have only ever effected people in the 99.99% of driver floggers. And most people wld never have come close.
That's because we are talking about a broad concept. Rest assured every OEM has their own definition of that and tests against it. I have driven my vehicle the same way I have driven every other performance car that I have owned, tested, borrowed, etc, and none of them lost 100hp along the way. It's completely indefensible.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
:rolleyes: Yep definitely more then 3 times I gave up at page 2 of :eek: 8 pages worth....

Sport mode is slow!! Not only does it remove the responsiveness of the go petal it also reduces your cars output to 380 kW from my test with it... Its almost like activating double the counter restrictions in your car never mind the unresponsive go petal... If you can't tell the huge difference maybe your car is effected as well o_O
Seriously. If you want to go slow buy a 90D.