Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car produces 9.6% power less now, measurably, when I push the pedal, than day of purchase 8 months ago. That is an issue and indicates that it is no longer performing properly. I am going to seek remedy unless an indication comes soon of correction.

I just received this response from my SA after sending in documentation of my power loss from 490 kW to 465 kW.

"I had engineering take a look at the two runs you gave us. The data gathered from the vehicle shows no power difference between the two. The vehicle delivered max expected power. Everything is working as designed, there is no loss in power."
Not good!

Is it time to restart the class action lawsuit? Did anyone get anywhere any lawyers willing to represent us?

So 490 = 465 to Tesla? Did they share the data they gathered from the vehicle which supposedly shows no power difference?

No, I asked for more clarification on how they could possibly think this is the same.

Maybe it is time to start driving around with max battery and launch mode on all the time??? Kill the batteries as fast as possible??

My car produces 9.6% power less now, measurably, when I push the pedal, than day of purchase 8 months ago. That is an issue and indicates that it is no longer performing properly. I am going to seek remedy unless an indication comes soon of correction.

It depends on whether this reduction is due to current or voltage. As batteries age, the voltage drop will be greater under load because the cell impedance increases. This is a physical limitation of EV batteries. 10% seems a bit high though for only 8 months.

• Informative
Reactions: hostman and bhzmark
It depends on whether this reduction is due to current or voltage. As batteries age, the voltage drop will be greater under load because the cell impedance increases. This is a physical limitation of EV batteries. 10% seems a bit high though for only 8 months.

I doubt it is normal aging. I can still hit close to my previous kW values when using launch mode. The max power has been limited under all conditions except when using launch mode.

T
I just received this response from my SA after sending in documentation of my power loss from 490 kW to 465 kW.

"I had engineering take a look at the two runs you gave us. The data gathered from the vehicle shows no power difference between the two. The vehicle delivered max expected power. Everything is working as designed, there is no loss in power."
Not good!

Is it time to restart the class action lawsuit? Did anyone get anywhere any lawyers willing to represent us?
This is similar to the wording I received. My SA stated that there is no requirement to reach max power. Where your SA stated the vehicle delivered max "expected" power. Also my SA stated that both LM and MB are enhancements to performance. Which also implies that Tesla feels they "are" providing the ludicrous performance already, excluding MB and LM.

Is the 465kw equal to around 1500 amps? Someone stated earlier that they felt Tesla only needed to provide 1500 amps to meet the requirements for ludicrous? Not counting the hours of drag strip times showing breaking into the 10's was not happening at that amperage level.

Communications with my SA have gone very quiet. As if Tesla is on firm ground here.

• Informative
Reactions: hostman
sorry but MT appears more and more like a marketing storefront.
Probably "channel marketing". They have a deal from day one.
You cannot play this game in luring in enthusiasts in and "castrating" them thru the backdoor. ha!
It´s the unholy trinity Dragtimes MT and Tesla Racing Channel.
They seem to be of preferred choice.
Just like in the Detroit days….

Launch control, an electronic aid to assist drivers in accelerating from a standstill, has been known to sometimes have a negative effect on vehicles if used too often. It can result in premature wear of components due to the high stress placed on them. Some performance car manufacturers either limit the power after a predetermined number of launches, or they void the warranty after a certain limit.

Earlier this year, Tesla introduced its own version of launch control, ‘Launch Mode’, for the performance versions of its vehicles – a first in a production electric car. Now we learn that Tesla is limiting its own launch mode in a similar way, which is something owners were widely unaware of, and some may find their power output permanently limited due to the situation.