Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never had 1600A, so I never had that problem.

That's fair. Though the ramp was about the same as far as I know. I'm not at 1600A until 30MPH and by then I am about 40'-ish down the track and either I broke traction or I didn't.

Aside from this peak power debacle, there isn't that much difference between LM and pedal mashing on slipstart. I could probably get the same effect by not smashing the pedal as hard.

Reactions: hostman
Do you have to use LM now to get the best times at a drag strip? Does anyone have experience doing this? Seems it might not be practical.

Using LM is fine to achieve good times 0-60 and at the track. It makes it impossible to get the best performance during normal or spirited driving, since accelerating from a stop is not the most likely thing you do. Before, you could floor it at any speed and get maximum power.

I'll time 0-60 soon using logged CAN data. I'm sure it will make a difference now.

The P85DL never exceeded 1500 A anyway so I'm not sure I see how it was ever affected.
Sorry, my statement is ambiguous. The first sentence was talking about the counters, which cut current below 1500A. This affected P85DLs also.

The second talks about this new change, which appears to set limit at 1500A unless launch mode is used.

Did you previously get a power boost in the P85DL as soon as max battery was turned on? That seems to be what was removed in the latest update. Now that extra power is only available when launch mode is used.

From my testing, Max Battery Power didn't give my P85DL an immediate power boost. As the battery warmed up, more power was available.

Conversely, when the battery was fully warmed, turning Max Battery Power off did not take away any power. It seemed to just follow battery temps, which makes sense to me. No software gimmick to mess with power, just the expected function of heating up the battery.

From my testing, Max Battery Power didn't give my P85DL an immediate power boost. As the battery warmed up, more power was available.

Conversely, when the battery was fully warmed, turning Max Battery Power off did not take away any power. It seemed to just follow battery temps, which makes sense to me. No software gimmick to mess with power, just the expected function of heating up the battery.

Interesting. The P90D v2 and v3 were different. They added about 20 - 25 kW when max battery was turned on. Now they are the same, low level all the time.

By the way, do we have any data on P90D vs P90DL on latest software? Max bat on, no lunch mode.
It would be nice to see the difference.
I just did a few quick tests in Sport, Ludicrous, and Max Battery with Launch Mode. Saw limits of 1250, 1500, and 1600 respectively, before max battery was ready (35 minutes left until ready). I don't recall if max battery was on for the last Ludicrous run without launch mode, so I will test that again tomorrow.

Sport
Screenshot_20170318-160726.png

Ludicrous
Screenshot_20170318-160717.png

Max Battery (not ready) Launch Mode
Screenshot_20170318-160655.png

Comparison of Sport and two Ludicrous pulls
Screenshot_20170318-160748.png

So the recent update only gives me the extra ~30kW using launch mode, otherwise capped at ~460kW in Ludicrous.

Last edited:
Long time reader, new poster. I have a P85DL, used launch mode like 3 times, just to illicit the tesla smile but I do floor it every day. I have a very long downhill freeway on ramp on my way to work, and unless I have a Prius in front of me, I get on it. I have no metrics, other than it seems like it is not quite the car it was when I brought it home with the L upgrade. I for one would join in so we could at least get a subpoena to find exactly what changed, and why. IMO, Tesla found out, because this is all new, that the battery warranty would cost a boat load on a specific type of user. That may be true, but changing my cars performance after the fact is not my problem. I bought a car that I could do X with, not X then at a later date X-y. I want to be assured I am getting full power whenever I demand it, that is what I paid for. I was going to trade in for a P100DL, but that is on hold. I would appreciate that if someone who knows the entire issue could summarize it.

Long time reader, new poster. I have a P85DL, used launch mode like 3 times, just to illicit the tesla smile but I do floor it every day. I have a very long downhill freeway on ramp on my way to work, and unless I have a Prius in front of me, I get on it. I have no metrics, other than it seems like it is not quite the car it was when I brought it home with the L upgrade.

That is in line with the reports of the latest upgrade. Tesla seems to have limited the power of all Performance (Ludicrous at least) models, except in Launch mode. This will naturally hamper everyday performance in a significant manner. This general limitation replaced an earlier limitation where cars with acceleration counters exceeding certain parameters were limited instead.

That may be true, but changing my cars performance after the fact is not my problem. I bought a car that I could do X with, not X then at a later date X-y. I want to be assured I am getting full power whenever I demand it, that is what I paid for. I was going to trade in for a P100DL, but that is on hold. I would appreciate that if someone who knows the entire issue could summarize it.

If this is is your view, then P100DL is probably best kept on hold indefinitely. There probably is some fundamental flaw in the battery pack or drivetrain they are protecting against and getting that fixed may not happen before the 2170 packs some time in 2018 perhaps (just speculating). So these limitations seems to apply to P100D as well for the foreseeable future.

Also, there is no credible signs that Tesla is planning to change their behavior on matters such as this, so they may employ clandestine software updates in the future as well to limit their own warranty obligations, even when it is to the detriment of the user and the product already sold.

You must decide for yourself if you are willing to live with that.

Last edited:
I think there is definitely a power reduction.
I went to dragstrip yesterday, my car is Facelift S P90DL, v2 battery.
My previous personal best was 11.26. Max bat on ready. This was before Tesla's power reductions, a couple of months later I got my car.
Yesterday, I had 10 runs, starting from %95 soc.
my personal best was 11.575 , this is with max bat on ready, %91 soc, slipstart. This is same as P85D without lud times !
I've tried launch mode a couple of times, best time was 11.66 max bat on ready, %93 soc.
(Just to give you an idea, my last run was in sport mode, and it got 12.76. Same as a 90D.)

I think real results are more important than computer read max power results.

So I'm asking Tesla, where is my 10 second car as promised?
strip.png

Last edited:
I think there is definitely a power reduction.
I went to dragstrip yesterday, my car is Facelift S P90DL, v2 battery.
My previous personal best was 11.26. Max bat on ready. This was before Tesla's power reductions, a couple of months later I got my car.
Yesterday, I had 10 runs, starting from %95 soc.
my personal best was 11.575 , this is with max bat on ready, %91 soc, slipstart. This is same as P85D without lud times !
I've tried launch mode a couple of times, best time was 11.66 max bat on ready, %93 soc.
(Just to give you an idea, my last run was in sport mode, and it got 12.76. Same as a 90D.)

I think real results are more important than computer read max power results.

So I'm asking Tesla, where is my 10 second car as promised?View attachment 219065

Do you have any datalogs on these runs? It would be interesting to know the telemetry along with the results.