Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same as it was explicitly laid out during the Ludicrous launch: it boosts battery current from 1300A to 1500A. 1500A is the only explicit promise Tesla made (which is likely why they chose that as the limit).

The main change is any extra over 1500A (which only came into being for the P90DL v2/v3 and P100DL) is only available in Launch mode. Tesla never explicitly promised anything over 1500A (although others argue the 10.9 second 1/4 mile was an indirect promise of such).
The car Tesla sold me was advertised as capable of 10.9 in ludicrous mode with MBR. The V1 battery could not reach that performance. The V2 came VERY close. The V3 delivered. When you were selecting ludicrous mode - it was clear you were purchasing 10.9 performance. There was no mention of the 1500A boost. Though if you researched it, that information was available. So, I expect to get 10.9 - as advertised, as long as it doesn't cause my car damage by simply using the paid for performance.
So for a few weeks I did own a 10 second car - as advertised. It was AWESOME. Now, while it is great.. it isn't the same, And since I must use LM to feel that power again? This is not acceptable.

I understand how many people may feel - geesh - enjoy the car - it rocks. Good argument. Though, I just can't let Tesla sell me one thing, then deliver something less. It is just wrong.

Last edited:
From a post earlier it was mentioned that before the upgrade, the max output is 1300A. After it is 1500A without launch mode.

So there is benefit to the upgrade if that is true.
This is true. Ludicrous mode is going to get you a performance boost due to the 1500A. But if it only delivers 11.2 1/4 mile? It is worth something less than $10K. How much less? Some feel a 10 second car is worth a lot more than any 11 second car. So it is hard to calculate just how much Tesla should refund for not providing a 10 second car. Like if they sold it as just a 1500A boost, no mention of performance numbers? I might have paid $3K ? But since they stated 10.9 ? I am all in $10K.

Reactions: hostman
Here it is:

"We have looked into your concern a bit deeper and have found that vehicles will no longer provide full power during regular driving. Full power will now only be available during Launch mode which is firmware controlled. I hope this answers your questions, if not feel free to reach out to me."

The high performance awesome vehicle that I purchased, has become lower performance due to restrictions placed on the vehicle post purchase. I have a problem with this.
Any chance you could forward me the email stating this? Going through he same issue now in AZ.

My SA got back to me - after I requested that Tesla return my car to how my owners manual stated it would work. Whereby max power is available via ludicrous and max battery, nothing to do with LM. He stated that he has no ability to do that change - and has bumped my issue up the ladder.

And so it goes....

Something else I have been wondering:
@NOLA_Mike was able to provide me a November 2015 Owners manual ( thanks again ) , which is only slightly older than when I received my car in late Sept 2015. I couldn't recall if at the time I ordered the car in Aug 2015, if there was any mention in the owners manual (OM) of Max battery being used for max power? Did the 2015 P85D insane owners have that same verbiage? I figure if they did then for sure my OM did too. Point being that at the time, I thought I would only need to flip it into ludicrous mode, and never look back. That is how sales presented it during my test drive. I learned of MB from this forum. Though it may have always been in the OM? Thanks.

Something else I have been wondering:
@NOLA_Mike was able to provide me a November 2015 Owners manual ( thanks again ) , which is only slightly older than when I received my car in late Sept 2015. I couldn't recall if at the time I ordered the car in Aug 2015, if there was any mention in the owners manual (OM) of Max battery being used for max power? Did the 2015 P85D insane owners have that same verbiage? I figure if they did then for sure my OM did too. Point being that at the time, I thought I would only need to flip it into ludicrous mode, and never look back. That is how sales presented it during my test drive. I learned of MB from this forum. Though it may have always been in the OM? Thanks.

The manual I downloaded from MyTesla in Oct' 2015 does not have any verbiage on max battery power, but this was likely for the initial Firmware 7.0 version which didn't include MBP or Launch Mode:

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 10.25.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 10.29.20 AM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Walta
The manual I downloaded from MyTesla in Oct' 2015 does not have any verbiage on max battery power, but this was likely for the initial Firmware 7.0 version which didn't include MBP or Launch Mode

Now here's an extract from the Firmware 7.1 version of the manual that I downloaded in Jan' 2016, which does mention Max Battery Power:

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 10.31.53 AM.png

Launch Mode was mentioned in a different section:

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 10.35.28 AM.png

The manual I downloaded from MyTesla in Oct' 2015 does not have any verbiage on max battery power, but this was likely for the initial Firmware 7.0 version which didn't include MBP or Launch Mode:

View attachment 220321

View attachment 220322
Thanks @MarcG.. Perfect! That is the one I am looking for. That is really close to my actual pickup time. Can I get a copy of that puppy? If you PM me I will give you my email address....

Since this current counterGate 2 fiasco - I started to wonder if there is any precedence here, that may have already been addressed with other products that offer over the air (OTA) updates ? Forinstance... has windows software been caught purposely inducing performance issues to inspire owners to upgrade to a new PC. Has Apple been caught purposely inducing performance issues via OTA updates to inspire owners to move onto the newer faster IPhone? It would be pretty simple to implement without anyone thinking the worst. We have all been trained to accept the new OTA update will improve the device with "bug fixes" and other positive wording. There must be some legal wording protecting owners from their product being downgraded? At a minimum I would expect the release notes must spell out the performance impact in detail.

Warning: While loading this software version will improve battery life - quarter mile and 0-60 times will be increased by .3 seconds. And no we are not going to refund the $10K you paid for the .2 second decrease in times. Deal with it.

Since this current counterGate 2 fiasco - I started to wonder if there is any precedence here, that may have already been addressed with other products that offer over the air (OTA) updates ? Forinstance... has windows software been caught purposely inducing performance issues to inspire owners to upgrade to a new PC. Has Apple been caught purposely inducing performance issues via OTA updates to inspire owners to move onto the newer faster IPhone? It would be pretty simple to implement without anyone thinking the worst. We have all been trained to accept the new OTA update will improve the device with "bug fixes" and other positive wording. There must be some legal wording protecting owners from their product being downgraded? At a minimum I would expect the release notes must spell out the performance impact in detail.

Warning: While loading this software version will improve battery life - quarter mile and 0-60 times will be increased by .3 seconds. And no we are not going to refund the $10K you paid for the .2 second decrease in times. Deal with it.
We had a long discussion about the issue of OTAs that potentially reduce functionality in this thread:
They said "you can't stay on 7.0 forever. .."

About the legal aspects, later in the thread there is a discussion about EULAs and whether Tesla needs them. Other software updates in general do not warn about possible issues or reduced functionality it will cause, but inside that thread it was argued that EULAs are what allow that to happen.

As for examples from windows, look at the whole Windows 10 update fiasco. Microsoft resorted to malware-like tactics to force people to upgrade from Windows 7/8 (including automatically updating). However, Windows 10 was buggy and does not work with some software that Windows 7/8 supported.

About Apple, just google "ios slow". There have been plenty of examples where new versions of IOS slow older devices to a crawl. If you just updated when the new version was out only a few days, it's possible to still downgrade back to an older version. However, older versions are marked invalid after a few days, so there is a limited time window that if passed leaves you only with the option of buying a new device or dealing with a drastically slower one.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and Walta
We had a long discussion about the issue of OTAs that potentially reduce functionality in this thread:
They said "you can't stay on 7.0 forever. .."

About the legal aspects, later in the thread there is a discussion about EULAs and whether Tesla needs them. Other software updates in general do not warn about possible issues or reduced functionality it will cause, but inside that thread it was argued that EULAs are what allow that to happen.

As for examples from windows, look at the whole Windows 10 update fiasco. Microsoft resorted to malware-like tactics to force people to upgrade from Windows 7/8 (including automatically updating). However, Windows 10 was buggy and does not work with some software that Windows 7/8 supported.

About Apple, just google "ios slow". There have been plenty of examples where new versions of IOS slow older devices to a crawl. If you just updated when the new version was out only a few days, it's possible to still downgrade back to an older version. However, older versions are marked invalid after a few days, so there is a limited time window that if passed leaves you only with the option of buying a new device or dealing with a drastically slower one.
Good info.. thanks @stopcrazypp .

I am really regretting applying the latest update. I had full power on the previous release. I probably should have stayed on 7.1 or whatever version 7.x my car shipped with... But, I too was duped into thinking the updates would improve things. Now I have 35 less HP then when I took delivery of the car.
I know... this is some crazy stuff. And after you had a taste of how the P90DL really should perform??? It is very disappointing to be down graded.

I keep thinking to myself "how can this be Tesla's solution to the counterGate issue" ?

Where is Jon to explain all this???

Crickets....

I am really regretting applying the latest update. I had full power on the previous release. I probably should have stayed on 7.1 or whatever version 7.x my car shipped with... But, I too was duped into thinking the updates would improve things. Now I have 35 less HP then when I took delivery of the car.

If you consult the early owner's manual you will find that it told you that for optimum acceleration use Launch Mode.

Now it appears that they finally got around to making that line in the owner's manual true.