Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the 1/8 mile dragstrip at Irwindale again to test if my P85DL has had any reduction in power. With almost 32,000 miles and original 19" tires, my "Heartbeat" was as fast as ever. My 6 runs were from 7.081 to 7.133 and from 97% down to 86% compared to my all-time best of 7.066. Plus my reaction times using slip mode on every run were good including a 0.007 against another Tesla. One change that worked for me was to do a quick burnout (accelerate quickly) which did spin the tires briefly but resulted with no tires spinning after the lights were green.

That's good news.

It seems the power reductions are limited to the P90DL and P100DL. My car is definitely slower by about 0.1 0-60 and probably more in the quarter.

change that worked for me was to do a quick burnout (accelerate quickly) which did spin the tires briefly but resulted with no tires spinning after the lights were green.

Yes after seeing TRC car do that I figured it was likely to be if help.

Speaking of TRC cars, odd that they haven't complained about any of this that I heard of. Probably no one has flogged more P cars and have all the data on the flogging.

Speaking of data.
definitely slower by about 0.1

Can you elaborate with your vbox data or other sources? And conditions? LM? SOC? Etc

Sorry, but the time of explaining shady business practices away as a communications problem is long gone.

It is not flying anymore.

LOL... Nope... Try again... Some of you seem to think that Tesla is a seasoned company... It's not, turnover rate is high, and there are simply going to be missteps...

If you don't want reality to fly that's on you but eventually you need to think about this logically...

Jeff

Tesla is adjusting their referral program (Supercharging for life). I wonder if they will catch the link between their business practices and the poor performance of their referral program? Perhaps the broken link in communication is between the operations and moral/ethical/fair (pick your own word) side of their own heads :)

Yes after seeing TRC car do that I figured it was likely to be if help.

Speaking of TRC cars, odd that they haven't complained about any of this that I heard of. Probably no one has flogged more P cars and have all the data on the flogging.

Speaking of data.

Can you elaborate with your vbox data or other sources? And conditions? LM? SOC? Etc

Sure, I have a thread here where we are collecting data:
Power limit with latest software update: Data

I'd guess the TRC cars are not seeing the reduction because it was only 1% when using launch mode. If you don't use launch mode, the reduction is about 5%.

So, yeah, I should have been more clear. My *useful* power and acceleration has been reduced since I can't use launch mode all the time during normal driving. Whereas before, I could put on MB mode and floor it on a twisty road and always get maximum power, even from a rolling start. Now, the only way to get maximum power is from a stop, using launch mode.

There's a vbox 0-60 log of 2.6 before the update and 2.7 after.
I saw a p100d describe a 2.6 run and then post details on a 2.64 run. Is that what you are referring to? If not can you post link.

And I thought you said you definitely lost .1 . Sorry if I misinterpreted that. Maybe it was someone else.

Just wondering if there is any evidence of a measurable accel difference. (As opposed to a power peak difference)

I saw a p100d describe a 2.6 run and then post details on a 2.64 run. Is that what you are referring to? If not can you post link.

And I thought you said you definitely lost .1 . Sorry if I misinterpreted that. Maybe it was someone else.

Just wondering if there is any evidence of a measurable accel difference. (As opposed to a power peak difference)

0 to 60 mph times from V-box (includes 1 foot roll out):
with launch mode 2.67s
without launch mode 2.73s

Old software: 0-60 was 2.57sec.

The link doesn't say 2.57. it's slower than that. Not quite a full tenth.

It was also the best ever ET (what was his average of all attempts?) compared to apparently one data point under unspecified conditions.

And Tesla advertised P90DL as a 2.6 0-60, so even that one off data point under unknown conditions and car options was still in spec. If he's running a pano and UHF and power liftgate his car is faster than it was represented to be. Lucky guy. He should be enjoying his car and life.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
The link doesn't say 2.57. it's slower than that. Not quite a full tenth.

It was also the best ever ET (what was his average of all attempts?) compared to apparently one data point under unspecified conditions.

And Tesla advertised P90DL as a 2.6 0-60, so even that one off data point under unknown conditions and car options was still in spec. If he's running a pano and UHF and power liftgate his car is faster than it was represented to be. Lucky guy. He should be enjoying his car and life.

Yes, we all enjoy our car. But, we'd prefer it to remain as powerful as it was when originally delivered. Not intentionally slowed down with software updates.

I'm not sure why you need such a high burden of proof. There are multiple reports of power reductions, which reduce HP, which must impact acceleration. We also have documented reductions in acceleration.

I agree it is in the 1% when it comes to first-world problems, but still, it's annoying and makes me question my decision to buy another Tesla when my lease is up.