Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone -

I’d like to provide a quick update on this topic. Some of you with a P90D and Ludicrous acceleration mentioned that you did not want to use Launch Mode to simultaneously activate maximum battery performance. We’ve listened and are happy to tell you that for those that wish to do so, you can again enable maximum battery performance independently from Launch Mode, ensuring that you have maximum flexibility in how you use your car.

Jon
Based on the implication that Tesla coupled launch mode to max power to prevent owners from using max power too often? Due to battery damage risk when driving aggressively hence the counter gate issue? How does removing this requirement correct the issue with aggressive driving damaging the battery?

Reactions: xborg
Hi Everyone -

I’d like to provide a quick update on this topic. Some of you with a P90D and Ludicrous acceleration mentioned that you did not want to use Launch Mode to simultaneously activate maximum battery performance. We’ve listened and are happy to tell you that for those that wish to do so, you can again enable maximum battery performance independently from Launch Mode, ensuring that you have maximum flexibility in how you use your car.

Jon
Hi John.

I think it's great that this can now be done.

While you are at it, can you fix my 2015 P90D so that the radio doesn't come off mute and start playing when I open a door, or hang up from a phone call? And, what about coat hooks?

pdq

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Having a mode for max power makes some sense. It enabled extra heating in the battery and maybe extra cooling for the electronics that you wouldn't want all the time.

I'm not sure why the current is limited when max battery isn't on, but that is another question. That's how it worked when I bought my car last year. I'm fine with having to flip a switch once in a while.
I think of it (Max Battery) as somewhat of an opposite of Range Mode.

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby and Tech_Guy
A few easy software goodies i'd like to see:
1) some sort of icon on the dashboard when insane or ludicrous or range modes are engaged. I often forget to turn these modes off.
2) adding a sport/ludicrous switch to the menu selector on the right hand steering wheel
3) icons showing which engine is engaged, and the power (in torque, hp, kW or percentage of maximum) of each engine displayed on the car icon in the status app, which currently only shows tire pressure and warning lights. That way i can also know which engine the car has put to sleep on the freeway.

The answer of John McNeill is very nice, thank you John.
The answer also proves that Tesla IS following and reading Tesla related Fora and not only TMC.
So when we, as (potential future) customers/owners have wishes or requests collectivly, we can and will have influence in specifics of the cars, the hard- and software.
Wishlist of most Dutch reservationholders. Future owners of the Model 3 have the wish that, for the fully equipped long range performance AWD version, the batterypack should be at least an 85 kWh one or with equivalent strenght and range above 500 km. And pricing of a base model 3 in The Netherlands, Europe will not start at the ridiculous amount of Euro 50.000 including VAT.

Future owners of the Model 3 have the wish that, for the fully equipped long range performance AWD version, the batterypack should be at least an 85 kWh one or with equivalent strenght and range above 500 km. And pricing of a base model 3 in The Netherlands, Europe will not start at the ridiculous amount of Euro 50.000 including VAT.

I'm quite sure Tesla put in the largest pack current technology allows, and priced the vehicle the best they could in various markets.

I am probably misremembering, but I thought the max battery used to have a disclaimer that said something about long term damage to the battery or drivetrain, but now it just says something about having less range with max battery enabled. Was I dreaming?

no, worst it ever said is that it would consume more electricity and will lower your range. i was sure to read it carefully when it first came out.

• Informative
Reactions: Pantoot
The answer of John McNeill is very nice, thank you John.
The answer also proves that Tesla IS following and reading Tesla related Fora and not only TMC.
So when we, as (potential future) customers/owners have wishes or requests collectivly, we can and will have influence in specifics of the cars, the hard- and software.
Wishlist of most Dutch reservationholders. Future owners of the Model 3 have the wish that, for the fully equipped long range performance AWD version, the batterypack should be at least an 85 kWh one or with equivalent strenght and range above 500 km. And pricing of a base model 3 in The Netherlands, Europe will not start at the ridiculous amount of Euro 50.000 including VAT.
Elon has already stated that the platform can currently only accommodate ~75 kWh. So asking for something that has already been publicly stated as "not possible" seems like a waste of a communication channel. No?

It's like when your spouse calls you to ask if you need something picked up on the way home and you request a helicopter for your birthday.

• Funny
Reactions: Krash
Does this apply to those of us with P85D's with Ludicrous?

Our P85DL were never impacted by the 'added' launch mode requirement to achieve max power.
The software restriction that is being removed was for P90DL that had 1600A capable batteries.
We (P85DL) were always able to get 1500A from our batteries whether with full-throttle or launch mode...as long as Max Power switch had been turned on and reached. (which was never changed).

Reactions: NSX1992
For you MS P100D owners, what is the max KW you see at 90%-100% with L+ & LM? I'm seeing 565 as my max. but I've seen as high as 577. Small but 16HP difference.

I’ve seen 581 as the highest value.

Attachments

• 6E7E59B4-3CB1-424E-89EE-E730E94F444B.png
    6E7E59B4-3CB1-424E-89EE-E730E94F444B.png
    764.8 KB · Views: 89