Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it has been difficult in the past to get information I am at first addressing my personal interests. Which is to see if my power will get reduced if I don't use LM at all?
And if I would be incurring any LM like damage pedal mashing a lot. Which I do every time I drive.

On completion of those requests I will further request the other concerns.

Understood.

I can certainly understand your position and method to go about it this way.

Definitely makes me want to NOT use launch mode --- and get the same ET.

As @lolachampcar and others have pointed out, we can't yet be certain that if we don't use launch mode the cars will never be restricted. For starters, Tesla could change things at any time, so even if for now it really is just launch mode launches that increment the counter, we don't know that that will always be the case. And just because some of the language that has come from Tesla personnel make it sound like for now it really is just launch mode launches that increment the counter, we need to take that information with the appropriate grain of salt. I don't think the Tesla people that have provided that information would be purposely attempting to deceive us, but we know, from lots of past history, that communication within Tesla is lousy. So it's not at all inconceivable that things are being lost in translation, and even now hard launches made without launch mode engaged are counting against us.

Simply avoiding launch mode, and thinking everything will be just fine is being, in my opinion, incredibly naive.

As @lolachampcar and others have pointed out, we can't yet be certain that if we don't use launch mode the cars will never be restricted. For starters, Tesla could change things at any time, so even if for now it really is just launch mode launches that increment the counter, we don't know that that will always be the case. And just because some of the language that has come from Tesla personnel make it sound like for now it really is just launch mode launches that increment the counter, we need to take that information with the appropriate grain of salt. I don't think the Tesla people that have provided that information would be purposely attempting to deceive us, but we know, from lots of past history, that communication within Tesla is lousy. So it's not at all inconceivable that things are being lost in translation, and even now hard launches made without launch mode engaged are counting against us.

Simply avoiding launch mode, and thinking everything will be just fine is being, in my opinion, incredibly naive.

Do you have any reason to believe slip start hill hold launches will result in limited power? I've seen nothing.

You can wring your hands over imagined future injustices, but I don't see the point.

Don't use LM. Problem solved. They shld just get rid of it if it stresses the drivetrain with no ET benefit.

Meanwhile, stop using it.

Reactions: Walta
Launch mode, unlike just stomping on the pedal, preloads the drivetrain to some extent. An earlier post explains in more detail how this likely creates extra stress on drive train.

It is speculation, but way more plausible than your hand wringing speculation based on nothing that they might could perhaps maybe count just stomping the pedal without LM and will further limit power in those cases.

Launch mode, unlike just stomping on the pedal, preloads the drivetrain to some extent. An earlier post explains in more detail how this likely creates extra stress on drive train.

It is speculation, but way more plausible than your hand wringing speculation based on nothing that they might could perhaps maybe count just stomping the pedal without LM and will further limit power in those cases.

The difference is I'm not stating something as fact, and telling others not to worry about it. I'm suggesting caution--that's all.

People reading your posts, and taking your advice could wind up with their power limited down the road. I'm merely suggesting caution, based on what a number of people here whom I respect think might be going on, and based on Tesla's newly added disclaimer, which says nothing about launch mode.

You're going to do what you want, as will I. I just don't want to see people follow your advice and then be sorry later.

The difference is I'm not stating something as fact, and telling others not to worry about it. I'm suggesting caution--that's all.

People reading your posts, and taking your advice could wind up with their power limited down the road. I'm merely suggesting caution, based on what a number of people here whom I respect think might be going on, and based on Tesla's newly added disclaimer, which says nothing about launch mode.

You're going to do what you want, as will I. I just don't want to see people follow your advice and then be sorry later.
Along this line of thinking. I have requested that tesla service tell me if pedal smashing yields the reduced power tech guy is dealing with.
No response yet from tesla service.

Happy new year all.

We all love tesla.

We all love our cars.

We all want to be treated fairly.

We all deserve the car specified at time of purchase.

Be careful turning your volume up to 11 too. Just be careful all around.. if you do it too much they might limit the volume. I don't know for sure. I'm just guessing. But just be careful.

Just a quick answer to my question that I have not confirmed after reading the past 48 pages.
This limit applies to P90DL model X as well as model S but not any P100DL?

The limited power has been only reported on P90DL on this forum (and indeed with some word from Tesla reps that upgrading to P100DL would fix this), but Tesla recently added a similar disclaimer to P100DL as well on their order page so we do not know for sure what will happen and what is going on.

The problem is that there has been at least one reported power limiting case where launch mode had not been used.

Now, this report (on TMC) could be wrong, fake, misreported etc. of course, but we can not entirely dismiss the possibility - especially given Tesla's latest generic disclaimer on the topic.

The problem is that there has been at least one reported power limiting case where launch mode had not been used.

Now, this report (on TMC) could be wrong, fake, misreported etc. of course, but we can not entirely dismiss the possibility - especially given Tesla's latest generic disclaimer on the topic.
Thank you for short post. Result: I read it.
What's the link to report of power limit after no use of LM?

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
I reread the Tesla communication quoted in Elektrek . It mentions LM multiple times and describes the trigger as only being LM.

" using launch mode places an increased stress on the entire powertrain accelerating aging and fatigue of various components. The computer systems automatically track launch mode usage and continually estimate fatigue damage. Depending on how launch mode is used, the computer may eventually limit the available power during launch mode to protect the powertrain. Note that this is a common strategy also employed in other high performance cars. As discussed, upgrading to the P100D ludicrous will remove this limit and will not be limited in the future as the P100D does not have this limit for launch mode.”

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Yes, Tesla does mention it in that comment - and there have been at least one Tesla tech quoted here saying the same.

However, I guess we have not been completely satisfied Tesla's comment is the full extent of the issue to call it a fact yet. For example, we do not know if there is a limit for launch mode and another limit of spirited driving for example.

Because Tesla also now says this on their P100D order page, making no mention of launch mode and potential contradicting the earlier claim that limits are only related to P90DL:

Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicles components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

Reactions: Andyw2100
This was the post:

I can add to the validity of this claim. My friend has a P90DL v2 that he launched (not Launch Mode) regularly and Tesla finally admitted that his power was reduced due to too many launches. He knew this happened because he was using Power Tools(?) and noticed a significant drop. My P85DL has not experienced a drop as I go to the drags often and the times have not changed.

So launch mode provides no real benefit (I can go dig up the data but I and several other owners posted back to back to back launches with and without and there was no gain with LM).

Tesla needs to make a change because, and I'll believe them here for just a minute, there is an issue with reliability using launch mode.

Tesla puts a counter in to reduce power if LM is used too many times.

IF LM was the problem and it provides no meaningful benefit then simply notify customers that you have liability concerns with LM and are deleting it. Tesla did not do this so I do not believe them that the issue is limited to launch mode.

and for all those saying I do not use launch mode so I do not care, if left unchecked, Tesla will eventually eliminate something you are interested in and you will care.

Last edited: